Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
View Poll Results: Do you hear any type of noises with your F-Sport Springs? Who installed them?
Yes, I hear a noise. I had the dealer install the springs.
27.47%
Yes, I hear a noise. I had an independent shop install the springs.
35.16%
No, I don't hear a noise. I had the dealer install the springs.
10.99%
No, I don't hear a noise. I had an independent shop install the springs.
26.37%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

F-Sport Springs Clunk Noise. Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-08, 08:21 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nope...not the dash or doors...its like a creaking/rattling sound at the rear passenger side only...like a screw running up and down or something..
Old 09-22-08, 09:29 AM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VikH
$1320 is not crazy for springs and shocks. Most coilovers cost +$1500 with a $300-400 install charge.
Vik, the rubber silencers, can you slide them on after your spring's installed?
Old 09-22-08, 10:16 AM
Electric
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexboi250
i have the same issue in the same spot. Do you have to remove the springs to install those sliencers or you can do it without?
I didnt get to install them yet, been so busy. I might try and make time this weekend. Im HOPING I can do it without removing the springs since Ill jack the car up and let the wheel hang which should release the binding tension in the spring. When the car sits the spring is pretty much compressed 25% already.
Old 09-22-08, 11:02 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

It's harder to add the rubber silencers to the top of the spring when it is installed. You can do it, but I am not sure if you can get them all the way up. This is according to people who installed the silencers. You guys should probably PM them to make sure.
Old 09-22-08, 11:08 AM
aznboi27
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Little E
I want to put these springs on my car, but it kind of scares me with everyone saying they're getting a clunk noise. Maybe if I get mine put on, I should have the dealer do the brake cable TSIB right afterwards??

Little off topic, but for those of you who had them installed at the dealership, how much $$$ was charged for labor??
If you got the F-Sport shocks and springs, then there should be a package at your lexus dealership for $600.00 including alignment. I don't think they will tell you unless you mention it. Just a good FYI.
Old 09-30-08, 01:53 PM
Mr. IS350
Driver

Originally Posted by Little E
I want to put these springs on my car, but it kind of scares me with everyone saying they're getting a clunk noise. Maybe if I get mine put on, I should have the dealer do the brake cable TSIB right afterwards??
I'm in the same situation as you are! I'm not for sure if I would want to go the F-sport route anymore.
Old 09-30-08, 02:00 PM
venZon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No noise here at all. It might be because I park with my ebrake up?
Old 09-30-08, 02:14 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

I've been driving a full package F-Sport car for 2 weeks now, 2 different ones. Both of these cars have every F-Sport part available (GFX, wheels, brakes, shocks, springs, sways, chassis brace, sport clutch, sport shifter, intake, engine cover and exhaust.

I'm not experiencing any clunk at all. I've driven about 1800 miles on the silver F-Sport and the black one i'm currently in about 500. I will have my write up on them shortly.
Old 09-30-08, 02:53 PM
AznJason
Lead Lap

I used to get it going over semi-steep speed bumps where both rear tires come off the speed bump at the same time. With the rubber silencers, it dulled, but depends on the speed bump, I'll still get a little something. Nothing from driving on the streets anymore though.
Old 09-30-08, 03:08 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flipside909
I've been driving a full package F-Sport car for 2 weeks now, 2 different ones. Both of these cars have every F-Sport part available (GFX, wheels, brakes, shocks, springs, sways, chassis brace, sport clutch, sport shifter, intake, engine cover and exhaust.

I'm not experiencing any clunk at all. I've driven about 1800 miles on the silver F-Sport and the black one i'm currently in about 500. I will have my write up on them shortly.
The sound does not consistently happen. It is very difficult to reproduce. I brought my car back in to have them figure it out and I could not reproduce it with the tech in the car. In my case, the clunk noise does not always occur with 1 person in the car. It never happens with more than 2 people in the car.

Go over a speed bump at 5-10 mph and see if you hear anything in the rear. Any abrupt bumps or potholes will result in the clunk as well.
Old 09-30-08, 03:09 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mr. IS350
I'm in the same situation as you are! I'm not for sure if I would want to go the F-sport route anymore.
For people considering the F-Sports. Get the Tein Rubber Silencers as insurance. Put em on before install, just in case you get the noise. Most people who have the rubber silencers do not hear the noise anymore.
Old 11-17-08, 02:59 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well.after reading all 10pages, I decided to go with Eibachs. Apparently they are the same thing as Fsport. I got the rubber silencers anyways just to make sure.
thanks to evetyone thatpostd info, pics.
Old 11-20-08, 01:10 PM
IS-Pomales
Driver School Candidate

For people considering the F-Sports. Get the Tein Rubber Silencers as insurance. Put em on before install, just in case you get the noise. Most people who have the rubber silencers do not hear the noise anymore.
I have exactlly the same problem of the Noise and my one is an IS-350 09. F-Sport Springs and Shock.

I'm going to the dealer tomorrow for the P-Brake adjustment and definetly I'm going to Install the Tein Rubber in between coils.

This make sense. I will let you know.
Old 11-21-08, 03:56 PM
rafarami
Driver School Candidate

The sound does not consistently happen. It is very difficult to reproduce. I brought my car back in to have them figure it out and I could not reproduce it with the tech in the car. In my case, the clunk noise does not always occur with 1 person in the car. It never happens with more than 2 people in the car.

Go over a speed bump at 5-10 mph and see if you hear anything in the rear. Any abrupt bumps or potholes will result in the clunk as well.
After almost a week of normal driving, I want to add myself to the list of clunk-noise-hearing-F-Sport users.

I started to notice it driving with my cousin as soon as we installed them (no silencers) coming exactly from the rear (I would say rear-passenger side) going at about 5-10 mph through speed bumps. You would have to be with the windows down and low volume music in order to notice. Under all other conditions, it rides perfect with no noise at all.

Regardless of this issue, I would recommend these to anyone who would prefer the feeling of being backed by the TRD/F-Sport brand. They actually lowered more than I had expected. Great ride quality.
Old 11-22-08, 11:20 AM
IS-Pomales
Driver School Candidate

Update:

The dealer did the P-Brake adjustment and nothing happen, the noise still there. They decide to keep the car on service, so no car for the weekend. On monday they are going to swap the rear shocks, right to left and left to right to see if the clunk noise move from the right side to the left. If the noise change they are going to replace the shock because they think that is a defect of the shock, if the noise still in the right side after the swap they are going to install microphones under the car to see from where is coming. Also they are going to call the headquarters that did the IS-250 full F-Sport to see what kind of problems they found during the installation and how they fix any issue.

Let see what happen on monday.

Last edited by IS-Pomales; 11-24-08 at 08:17 AM.

Quick Reply: F-Sport Springs Clunk Noise. Normal?