Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Does anyone have experince painting wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-08, 01:17 AM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Does anyone have experince painting wheels?

I found these HOT wheels on TireRack but don't like the center wheel color, I want them black.

Does anyone have experience painting the center portion of wheels that can give me some advise?
Attached Thumbnails Does anyone have experince painting wheels?-oz_giotto_ii_pl_ci3_l.jpg  
Old 03-16-08, 08:53 AM
RX729
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sand, clean, then paint...
Old 03-16-08, 09:35 AM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RX729
sand, clean, then paint...
The question really is, painting vs. powder coating? Which is the best?
Old 03-16-08, 01:30 PM
jspecdan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spray painted the stock wheels on my old Volvo 940 turbo. It was a good experience learning how to do it but I would suggest powder coating by a pro so you have a nice clean and even surface. Here are a few pics from my project:

Old 03-16-08, 06:48 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jspecdan
I spray painted the stock wheels on my old Volvo 940 turbo. It was a good experience learning how to do it but I would suggest powder coating by a pro so you have a nice clean and even surface. Here are a few pics from my project:

thanks for the pics, you did a great job. I imagine one of the problems you had was masking the wheels to seperate the center from the outer portion which is not a factor I have to deal with. Are you glad you did it? I'm going to "test" one of my wheels to see how it looks this week and post the results for everyone to weight in with their opinions.
Old 03-16-08, 07:34 PM
jspecdan
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ZippyGuy
thanks for the pics, you did a great job. I imagine one of the problems you had was masking the wheels to seperate the center from the outer portion which is not a factor I have to deal with. Are you glad you did it? I'm going to "test" one of my wheels to see how it looks this week and post the results for everyone to weight in with their opinions.
i was pretty happy since it only cost me like $30 in supplies and it gave me a reason not to do work for summer classes

but now i'm onto my GS300 and that's not something i'm going to try unless i can get a paint gun.
Old 03-16-08, 09:05 PM
tnbigdawg
Driver

In my opinion the O.Z. wheels are very good quality and pricey, so I wouldn't paint it. Instead, try to order it custom made and have them powdercoat it?

For me, I consider wheels that have been painted to have a lower value; even if they were professionally painted.
Old 03-16-08, 09:19 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tnbigdawg
In my opinion the O.Z. wheels are very good quality and pricey, so I wouldn't paint it. Instead, try to order it custom made and have them powdercoat it?

For me, I consider wheels that have been painted to have a lower value; even if they were professionally painted.
Interesting comments on two fronts. One, the O.Z.'s are great quality but they're actually pretty inexpensive, relatively speaking. The whole set, 19's will cost me $1,300 shipped (+tax).

Second comment, why do you consider painted wheels lesser in value? I had the mindset that if they're done professionally or D.I.Y. properly it gives you a unique look with a unique wheel. Case and point:

1. I'm either going to buy new wheels ($1,500 to $5,000)
2. have my current summer wheels repaired and repainted (painting/coating as part of the repair process) - ($150 per wheel = $600)
3. OR repaired and repainted black with the gold Lexus emblem (L-Tuned Salinas) - ($600 and a new look )

I had dedicated summer wheels for my GS300 (O.Z. Galileo III) moved to my 350Z.
Old 03-16-08, 10:44 PM
tnbigdawg
Driver

Opps, I was looking at some of their other wheels where they can cost around $800-1000+ PER wheel (especially if they're forged construction).

I consider painted wheels to be of lesser value because the paint isn't as durable as powdercoating. It's just my opinion though. The paint will have to withstand debris, temperature changes, brake dust, installation/removal of the wheels, and etc.

Painting wheels to restore them is understandable though, but I just wouldn't paint a brand new set of wheels.

If you are going to paint wheels, here's a recommendation: Use an epoxy primer first (on a prepared surface of course), as it has great bonding properties to bare metal and topcoats. Then you can lay down your base and clear. Of course I'm talking about automotive or equivalent paints here, and not spray paints.
Old 03-17-08, 09:07 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

powdercoat em.
but how much are those OZ's?

might wanna keep searching for something similar that you can get made in black.
Old 03-18-08, 01:57 PM
mkiiisupra
Lexus Test Driver

like above, powdercoat...period. I've painted wheels before and had friends do it to. Powdercoat will look 10x cleaner and unless you're one of the few, very few lucky ones, the paint is going to start chipping and THEN you'll wish you never wasted your time and got them powdercoated.

Auto paint is a different story, I was refering to spray cans. I've know people to paint wheels with a spray gun/auto paint and put excesive amounts of clear on them and they looked good and lasted
Old 03-20-08, 02:16 PM
bee0818
Pole Position

As alot of others have said already, if you are deciding between paint and powder coating, powder coating is the way to go.
I just had the centers of my HRE's pulled and powder coated and I am very happy with the results.
Are the OZ's a 3 piece? Can the centers be removed?
Old 03-20-08, 02:23 PM
Chris2
Pole Position

Painted a set not the most fun thing I can think of. Lasted quite a while though. Best to get them powder coated. Colors coome out better unless it is auto paint with the correct paint code, but that can get expensive depending on your stock color.
Old 03-20-08, 02:27 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4ntvings
powdercoat em.
but how much are those OZ's?

might wanna keep searching for something similar that you can get made in black.
They're on special at Tire Rack right now, $1,400 for the set

I've also been looking at DONZ Colombo's 9nice price) and ZONE 3 (expensive)
Old 03-20-08, 02:29 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bee0818
As alot of others have said already, if you are deciding between paint and powder coating, powder coating is the way to go.
I just had the centers of my HRE's pulled and powder coated and I am very happy with the results.
Are the OZ's a 3 piece? Can the centers be removed?
The O.Z.'s are two piece. I'm not sure how's they're going to come apart. Ideally I could find a three piece, take them apart, and have the parts I want powder coated.

Quick Reply: Does anyone have experince painting wheels?