Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
Old 12-12-14, 03:57 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

Changing inner tie rod ends

Old 03-11-08, 01:55 PM
Gears12
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing inner tie rod ends

I am 80% sure I need a new inner tie rod end on my 99 GS300. How can I be sure it is the inner tie rod end and not a bad rack and pinion unit?

What special tool do I need to replace the inner tie rod end? Any write ups about changing this? What about Auto Zone, do they rent this tool? Will I need a new inner boot?

Any advice on this matter would be appreciated!
Gears
Old 03-11-08, 04:07 PM
TRD911
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a diy on changing the ball joints and since you have to get the ties off in the process you get that for free...

BP
Old 03-12-08, 03:42 AM
Gears12
Driver

Thanks for replying. The DIY thread is for outer tie rod ends.
If someone could give me some insight on the inner tie rods I would greatly appreciate it. I think this repair is greatly over looked and could probably cause a lot of our vibration problems.

Gears
Old 03-12-08, 07:19 AM
kenkaniff
Pole Position

I need to get my passenger-side one replaced as well. Just bought one from Sewell for like $120. Didn't buy the driver side one yet, cuz I was being cheap. In hindsight, I should've bought both. But money's tight right now, so just gonna get the passenger side fixed.

Gonna bring it to the mechanic and get the balljoints replaced at the same time.

Anyone have an idea on what the labor costs should be?
Old 03-12-08, 08:11 AM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Changing the inners is not much more effort than the outers.

You first would need to remove the clamps off the boot. Reuse the boot if not torn but the clamp, may need to go in the trash.

There is a flat washer (90214-14007) that is bent to lock the threads, this washer gets bent back so the inner tie rod end can be removed by unscrewing it from the rack. The tie rod end should come with the washer.

Thread on the new tie rod end with the washer and boot. Then stake or bend the washer back so it locks the threads, push the boot in place and install new clamps or do like I did and use zip ties.
Old 03-12-08, 12:51 PM
Gears12
Driver

FrankT,

Thank you so much for the info I had a feeling it was going to be fairly easy. My wifes car needs inners bad! I might do both at the same time. I had to change one outer so far.

kenkaniff,
If I could offer you some advice... Since these are not high tech parts, you may want to go to a regular Auto parts store. I found the pass. side outer for $37. Warning they arent easy to find though. Let me assure you these particular Lexus parts are nothing spectacular. I have 130K on my wife's 99 GS300, and all the tie rod ends aren't great. I have a restored 1986 Mustang GT (190K) with the original front suspension. It needs one inner tie rod end, but it is nowhere near as bad as my Lex!

Gears

Last edited by Gears12; 03-12-08 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-12-08, 01:42 PM
kenkaniff
Pole Position

When I go to a parts place, what do I ask them to find for me? Is there a specific part I ask them to get? I mean, I'm sure I just don't go in there and ask for a inner tie end right?
Old 03-12-08, 02:44 PM
Gears12
Driver

Originally Posted by kenkaniff
When I go to a parts place, what do I ask them to find for me? Is there a specific part I ask them to get? I mean, I'm sure I just don't go in there and ask for a inner tie end right?
That's exactly what you do. Tell them the year, make and model of your car. This is exacty what I said: " I want an inside tie rod end for a 1999 Lexus GS300. When they find the part they will ask you if you want the drivers side or passengers side. Again be forewarned, certain Lexus parts are hard to find! You might have to go to several parts stores. It took me three tries to get mine, with the first two saying they couldn't even find any listed (I just ordered today!). kenkaniff, here will be your reward for searching: Inside tie rod ends at Advanced Auto - $25 each, outside tie rod ends - $38 each. The only downside, mine won't come in until March 20.

To all those having vibration problems check your inside tie rod ends.

I hope this helps like others have helped me.
God bless,
Gears
Old 03-12-08, 04:17 PM
kenkaniff
Pole Position

That is great that you found them so cheap. At Carson, they're $120. Feel stupid for shelling out the dough for ONE of them. I don't get how these parts stores are selling them so cheap though. Are they OEM? I was looking in my yellow book, what are these stores listed under? I mean, how'd you know where to call?

Thanks man. If I can acquire a driver side inner tie rod and two outer tie ends for that cheap locally, I'd buy them now and get pretty much my whole suspension maintained: balljoints, inner, and outer tie rod ends.

Are you gonna DIY this? If so, make sure you take pics and do a write-up!!
Old 03-12-08, 04:46 PM
TRD911
Lead Lap

sorry about that.. I just saw tie rod..

How do you know if your inners need to be changed? I have been told that they are rare to be changed....

My guy in Texas that I buy all my Toyota parts from says they have never sold one or put one on.

BP
Old 03-12-08, 08:46 PM
Gears12
Driver

Originally Posted by kenkaniff
That is great that you found them so cheap. At Carson, they're $120. Feel stupid for shelling out the dough for ONE of them. I don't get how these parts stores are selling them so cheap though. Are they OEM? I was looking in my yellow book, what are these stores listed under? I mean, how'd you know where to call?

Thanks man. If I can acquire a driver side inner tie rod and two outer tie ends for that cheap locally, I'd buy them now and get pretty much my whole suspension maintained: balljoints, inner, and outer tie rod ends.

Are you gonna DIY this? If so, make sure you take pics and do a write-up!!
One reason they are cheaper is that they are not OEM parts. OEM parts are usually very expensive. You have to decide if you need a OEM part or not. Again, to me this is not a high tech, complicated part, so I am using the aftermarket part.
In my phone book these Parts stores are listed under "Automobile Parts & Supplies-New".
Yes I will be doing this myself. I do almost all of my own mechanic work. God has luckily blessed me with mechanical comprehension.

Good Luck,
Gears

Last edited by Gears12; 03-12-08 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-12-08, 09:26 PM
Gears12
Driver

Originally Posted by TRD911
sorry about that.. I just saw tie rod..

How do you know if your inners need to be changed? I have been told that they are rare to be changed....

My guy in Texas that I buy all my Toyota parts from says they have never sold one or put one on.

BP
No problem dude! I'm really happy that someone has done this already and that they are sharing it with us. To be honest with you, I have never changed an inner tie rod myself. I had it done for me on another car once because it ususally requires a special tool. I have changed many outer ties. Bad inners are not as common but I think it is often over looked. The vibration I am having is only at 55-65 mph and then goes away. But the inside tread of one of my new tires is getting "cupped" (if you know the term). If I dont fix this soon that new tire will be ruined.

Anyway, to answer your question, I jack the car up on one side, by the frame (not on the A arm). I grab the tire at the 12 and 6 o'clock position and shake the wheel. If there is play at this position, the ball joints are worn out. I now grab the tire at the 3 and 9 o'clock position and shake the wheel. If I have play in this position, one of the tie rods on that side is bad. If you have play in the wheel in both positions (12,3,6 & 9), the wheel bearings could be bad, or misadjusted. Now back to the 3 and 9 o'clock position. To tell if it is the inner or outer tie rod end, get a friend to shake the wheel while you are under the car. You need to look at the whole steering linkage to see where the play is. You should see the looseness in the outer tie rod if it is shot. The inner is tough to tell because it is covered by a boot. But at the very least, you should be able to tell by the process of elimination. You need to repeat all these steps on the other side of the car too and check it.

This is a rough guide on how to do it. There are other factors that could cause looseness like a bad steering rack or worn out A arm bushings. These problems are fairly rare.

One more thing to add about your parts guy in Texas. Most people I know wouldn't get the inner ties from the dealer. Also, this problem occurs mostly on higher mileage cars and again, not a canidate for the dealer. On cartain cars it is benifitial to change the whole steering rack instead. I will be doing this on my Mustang later on because the whole rack only costs $79!

I hope this helps,
Gears
Old 03-13-08, 04:51 PM
TRD911
Lead Lap

Thanks for the long reply. Very informative..

BP
Old 03-25-08, 10:51 AM
Gears12
Driver

Changed out the tie rod ends this past weekend. Had the front end aligned also. My front end shake is gone. The passenger side inner tie rod end was bad.
I changed the inside tie rod ends just as Frank T described (thanks again Frank). I loosened the inner tie rods with a large, thin Crescent wrench. They were easy to change on this car, but I think it would be tough on a small FWD car.
I hope this helps,
Gears
Old 03-31-08, 02:51 PM
maximussp
Lead Lap

Does anyone have the part # for the 98' gs400 inner tie rods? Thanks.

-Kenji

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Changing inner tie rod ends