Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lower Control Arm DIY

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-10, 07:42 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

dont need to take off brakes... it might be easier to work with though.
Old 02-15-10, 08:19 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

What's a realistic time to have the arms taken out of the car? I'm thinking I may try this tomorrow morning while it's sunny and (relatively) warm.

I'll probably be using ramps to get the nose in the air and jackstands to keep her up.
Old 02-15-10, 08:45 PM
Asha'man
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on if your bolts are rusted or not. It took me four days, might take you an hour.
Old 02-15-10, 09:24 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

I haven't found any rust on my car, so hopefully I'll be fine.

How can I check my ball joints before removing the arms? Once the nose is in the air, can I just peek in there and see them? I haven't played with the front suspension since the summer of '08, so I don't remember how it looks. I'd really rather not go through the trouble of getting the arms out/bushings in to find the ball joints are toast and I need new arms...

This is pretty much the same pitman arm puller I have:

Is this the tool everyone recommends to remove the ball joint? How is it done?

I also have a pickle fork, but have read that's not the safest option when trying to retain the ball joint.

I'm searching all over the forums and want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I start.

Last edited by MongooseGA; 02-15-10 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-15-10, 11:54 PM
supratp23
Rookie

Ive got a question for you guys. Is it better to replace the whole arm? Or does people just do that to not have to go through the trouble of putting new bushings in? if putting new arms on is the supra ones any different? Any better? Can someone just give me the general info on this. thanks
Old 02-16-10, 09:49 AM
MongooseGA
Racer

How the ***** did y'all get the castle nut off? I've got a 21MM crescent on it and the thing won't budge. I just doused it with some PB so maybe it will let go a bit.

Also, how do I remove the 2 long bolts that hold the arms to the frame?
Old 02-16-10, 11:37 AM
mktbully
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by supratp23
Ive got a question for you guys. Is it better to replace the whole arm? Or does people just do that to not have to go through the trouble of putting new bushings in? if putting new arms on is the supra ones any different? Any better? Can someone just give me the general info on this. thanks
complete control arm gives you a new ball joint also.
a bushing kit will only swap out the bushings. also there's more work with pressing out the old or cutting out the old and installing new.
Old 02-16-10, 11:39 AM
mktbully
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MongooseGA
How the ***** did y'all get the castle nut off? I've got a 21MM crescent on it and the thing won't budge. I just doused it with some PB so maybe it will let go a bit.

Also, how do I remove the 2 long bolts that hold the arms to the frame?
impact wrench really helps here.
don't even try to do this with a crescent wrench (adjustable?)...unless it's a box (closed) wrench or a socket.
Old 02-16-10, 11:54 AM
MongooseGA
Racer

Originally Posted by mktbully
impact wrench really helps here.
don't even try to do this with a crescent wrench (adjustable?)...unless it's a box (closed) wrench or a socket.
I have an impact, but didn't think it would fit in there. And I don't have a 21MM socket, that I know of.

I ended up being able to unscrew it wit my fingers after soaking in PB for a few minutes
Old 02-18-10, 10:56 PM
tailspin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EpixINC
i replaced the SC arm with a Supra TT arm from Carson Toyota. you cant beat 204 for a brand new arm with new bushings and ball joint.
Been reading the forum and looks like lots of great info here. I'm looking to change out my LCA with the supra parts on my sc300. I checked out the Carson Toyota website and price currently is $263 per side. Anyone know of any cheaper sources? I'm in Hawaii as well.
Old 02-18-10, 11:10 PM
tailspin
Driver School Candidate

Ok, just found the post for toyotaparts123.com with the parts for around $220. Site seems to be down at the moment so will try again tomorrow.
Old 03-07-10, 05:04 PM
SC400SAIF
Rookie

okay this is by far the simplest job i have ever done.
tools you need:
Ball Joint Fork
22 MM open end wrench
19 MM open end wrench
14 MM open end wrench
metric hex set
needle nose pliers

OKay start with Remove wheel. it is preferable to have the vehicle on a lift cuz u gotta get up underneath it.
once the wheel is off, start removing nuts. the ones i have circled.
Simple huh? it took me a good 4 hours to do one side
Old 03-07-10, 05:19 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Originally Posted by SC400SAIF
Simple huh? it took me a good 4 hours to do one side
Did you do it on a lift or jack stands?

I did mine on stands and think it would have been much easier if I could have gotten under the car properly.
Old 03-07-10, 08:47 PM
SC400SAIF
Rookie

Originally Posted by MongooseGA
Did you do it on a lift or jack stands?

I did mine on stands and think it would have been much easier if I could have gotten under the car properly.
i did but i couldnt take off the ball joint so what i ended up doing was torching the bushings to put on ployureathen under the car and it worked out pretty fine..
Old 03-20-10, 01:19 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

once everything is in place start tightening everything down nice and tight. i started at the ball joint and then the sway arm then the shock then the two arm to frame nuts. once its all tight, put the cotter pin back in the castle nut, and give the arm a pull downwards make sure u get no clunking or shaking. then you are pretty much done. put ur wheel back on and you are rolling.
FWIW, I just wanted to point out that there is a pretty significant error in this DIY write up. The OP is instructing us to tighten the new OEM CAs with the wheels off !!

To do the job properly, you should have your wheels on and the weight of the car compressing the suspension to normal riding position BEFORE you tighten the bolts all up. If you don't do this, and you tighten your new rubber bushings in place while the suspension is in its fully drooped position, you are subjecting the rubber bushing to pretty severe twisting which WILL cause premature failure.

This either requires putting the car on a drive up rack/ramp... like an alignment machine has(best), or at least some floor ramps. Ideally, the car should be level too, so just putting them under the front wheels alone is better than the OP suggested, but still not optimal. The trouble for the DIY'er, is getting all four wheels of the car up high enough to crawl underneath and tighten those bolts up. I used four ramps and extra blocks of wood under the tires to add height. (if you choose that method, be sure you can tell what safe to crawl under and what's not!!)

Alternatively, if you are going straight to the alignment shop, ask them to loosen the CA bolts up again, let the bushings fully relax, and then retighten them with the alignment. BTW, I believe the torque is something like 166 ft.lbs. (just beyond most peoples 150 ft.lb torque wrenches lol)

Quick Reply: Lower Control Arm DIY