Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

sage rca kit and lowering awd

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-15, 01:52 AM
RyPeredo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sage rca kit and lowering awd

I know theres a bunch of threads on the sage rca kit and lowering the awd is. but finding the final answer has turned into a maze. Does the rca have any affect on lowering an awd is without getting vibrations? Is there a for sure fix to the vibrations caused from lowering the awd is? and finally is 24.5'' fender to ground the supposed safety zone the true "safe low"
Old 12-09-15, 05:57 AM
alphaking
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked at possibly going this route as well but remembered reading that it was not meant for this. I ended up going with the full F-Sport suspension after reading about problems with vibrations from going too low, and not being happy with the selection of available coilovers for AWD. No vibrations or problems with the F-Sport setup. Slight vibration at idle you can hear in the door/window from time to time, but not like the problems described with coilover setups.
Old 12-09-15, 01:18 PM
RyPeredo
Driver

Ya I ended up going with bc coils don't mind the ride quality at all. Actually some of the most comfortable coils I've owned. Minor vibration at speeds lower than 20mph I'd like to go lower but I want to do it as safely as possible.
Originally Posted by alphaking
I looked at possibly going this route as well but remembered reading that it was not meant for this. I ended up going with the full F-Sport suspension after reading about problems with vibrations from going too low, and not being happy with the selection of available coilovers for AWD. No vibrations or problems with the F-Sport setup. Slight vibration at idle you can hear in the door/window from time to time, but not like the problems described with coilover setups.
Old 12-09-15, 03:24 PM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by alphaking
I looked at possibly going this route as well but remembered reading that it was not meant for this.
True story. It is called a Roll Center Adjuster because that is what it does - it corrects (or moves or adjusts) the roll center of the front suspension. To understand what that means you have to dive pretty deep into how suspension works. (For all 2 of you interested, read here.)

A side effect of an RCA on the front of an ISX50 is that it decreases the change in angle of the CV on a lowered car. The reason it is hit or miss in reducing vibrations is the same reason that some lowered AWD cars vibrate like crazy at one height and another car doesn't at the same height.

Trivia question of the day: Does SAGE sell Roll Center Adjusters for the rear of our cars?
Old 12-09-15, 03:58 PM
RyPeredo
Driver

so if I'm understanding this correctly. I can technical get these in addition to my coils and somewhat safely go a little bit lower?

Originally Posted by WylieKylie
True story. It is called a Roll Center Adjuster because that is what it does - it corrects (or moves or adjusts) the roll center of the front suspension. To understand what that means you have to dive pretty deep into how suspension works. (For all 2 of you interested, read here.)

A side effect of an RCA on the front of an ISX50 is that it decreases the change in angle of the CV on a lowered car. The reason it is hit or miss in reducing vibrations is the same reason that some lowered AWD cars vibrate like crazy at one height and another car doesn't at the same height.

Trivia question of the day: Does SAGE sell Roll Center Adjusters for the rear of our cars?
Old 12-10-15, 07:52 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RyPeredo
so if I'm understanding this correctly. I can technical get these in addition to my coils and somewhat safely go a little bit lower?
It isn't really a safety thing; going too low can screw up the suspension geometry (particularly the roll center) to the point that a low car handles worse than a stock height car.

So AWD issues aside, they should help you go lower without making the car handle worse.

However since you can only do this for the front end, I don't know if it is really beneficial or not. Some day I want to map out the suspension pivots and see if it does or doesn't help.
Old 12-11-15, 12:15 AM
RyPeredo
Driver

I guess what I meant to say was will this take lets stress off my front axle and cv boots?
It isn't really a safety thing; going too low can screw up the suspension geometry (particularly the roll center) to the point that a low car handles worse than a stock height car.

So AWD issues aside, they should help you go lower without making the car handle worse.

However since you can only do this for the front end, I don't know if it is really beneficial or not. Some day I want to map out the suspension pivots and see if it does or doesn't help.
Old 12-11-15, 10:46 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

I guess what I meant to say was will this take lets stress off my front axle and cv boots?
It should. Also if you are running 18" or bigger wheels, and you want to maximize the potential effect while minimizing the cost, Megan Racing makes 30mm RCA blocks now.
Old 12-12-15, 02:18 AM
jdIS250
Driver School Candidate

although it is kinda off topic, i want to know more something with our awd isx50
-if we lower our car (awd), what is the possibility that our car will vibrate?
-and how low can you go with very minimal vibration?
-even if we lower our car with lowering springs, it will still vibrate right?
-besides f-sport susension, what is the next best option?
sorry for all the question. i just gut my car last month, so yeah.
Old 12-12-15, 11:49 PM
RyPeredo
Driver

Yup I saw that just ordered some. While we are on topic of rca's, are the rear rca's worth looking into? Didn't see any made by Megan. and 300 from sage is on the pricy side. but if they are actually beneficial then I don't mind throwing another $300 at it. Thanks for all your input btw!
It should. Also if you are running 18" or bigger wheels, and you want to maximize the potential effect while minimizing the cost, Megan Racing makes 30mm RCA blocks now.
Old 12-12-15, 11:55 PM
RyPeredo
Driver

now this is all based off what I remember reading so don't take it for granted.
lowering the awd 2is is hit or miss on vibration.
the supposed "safety zone" is 24.5 inches fender to ground
that's all preference imo, but as far as springs I see most commonly the fsports and road magnets. I went with bcracing coilovers. Mainly because i wanted to pick my own ride height and I have had bc coils on passed cars without complaints.
hope this heps!

Originally Posted by jdIS250
although it is kinda off topic, i want to know more something with our awd isx50
-if we lower our car (awd), what is the possibility that our car will vibrate?
-and how low can you go with very minimal vibration?
-even if we lower our car with lowering springs, it will still vibrate right?
-besides f-sport susension, what is the next best option?
sorry for all the question. i just gut my car last month, so yeah.
Old 12-13-15, 07:17 PM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Yup I saw that just ordered some. While we are on topic of rca's, are the rear rca's worth looking into? Didn't see any made by Megan. and 300 from sage is on the pricy side. but if they are actually beneficial then I don't mind throwing another $300 at it. Thanks for all your input btw!
IMO, the rears are not worth it. Even though Sage calls them RCAs... they are not. They do nothing to move the roll center. If you want to lower the rear 30mm and keep the rest of the suspension stock they will do that.
Old 12-14-15, 12:29 AM
RyPeredo
Driver

oh really? I wasn't expecting that. I haven't even looked to see how much stress is on the rear axles and boots. I think i'm gonna take a peak at it. but it sounds like you mayhave saved me a pretty penny
IMO, the rears are not worth it. Even though Sage calls them RCAs... they are not. They do nothing to move the roll center. If you want to lower the rear 30mm and keep the rest of the suspension stock they will do that.