Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

My gixxer_drew Bilstein Hypercoil Review

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-08, 08:08 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My gixxer_drew Bilstein Hypercoil Review

First off. I take no responsibility of coming up with the idea. I want to thank gixxer_drew from Supra Forums for coming up with this idea and to the people who have tested this before me.

This is the link to the hard info on this setup.

Furthermore, as gixxer_drew said it. I will no be responsible for you using this suspension. Period.

First off, what this suspension is all about. As is, from the factory (without revalving the shocks), this suspension gave me one of the most comfortable rides I could ask from a coilover setup. To me, I went with this suspension because its a reliable setup (if anyone knows the Bilstein name of course). From reading, this suspension was made anyone who wanted to Daily Drive the car, without all the unwanted harshness of a normal JDM coilover setup. It will allow you to participate in some tracking, because of the softer springs, it will help you in and out of the corners without losing traction. However on Supra's this suspension will not "slam" the car with a good ride. On the Supra's a 1"-1.5" lowering on this coilover setup was the way to get best ride and performance. But I was thinking, since this setup does that on Supra's, wouldnt it be lower for SC's? Yes, yes it is.

With the help of my best friend, we started about 7pm or so. We finished about 12:30, this included the total building and modding to the suspension, siezed bolts, and the first time ripping it out on an SC.

After that, it was really late, we were tired, but since we spent the last 5.5hrs on the car, we took it out for a late night drive. We really got to see what we got ourselves into now. We lowered the car basically a VERY tight 1 finger gap all around, knowing it will lower a tad more once the springs settle.

Coming out of the driveway, making it out actually pretty easily. We started our journey. In my neighborhood at about 25mph, it was very smooth. It didn't feel any different than stock. Taking it onto a main road, we got to see how 45mph felt like. On a straight away, it was smooth with a little firmness. I intentionally ran over all the bumps. Manhole covers, reflectors in the road. The car hit it firmly, but the reflex back to the people inside was minimal. You can tell the suspension wasn't going to take crap, but it wasn't going to be mean about it either.

Making a right onto Tampa RD (for you Floridians), it makes a slight uphill and then slopes downhill transition. A turn I knew that the *** end would slide into both lanes,very sloppy. I took the same turn at the same speed I would try to break it loose. It broke loose, but it was controlled. Stayed in the 1st lane and the traction kicked back in quickly. I knew the suspension was holding both wheels firmer on the ground.

We hit US19, took it up to anywhere between 65-80mph. The car was planted. There was no bouncy feel like the stock suspension would give. You hit a dip, the car wouldnt feel like that first drop in a rollercoaster. You went with the dip. Intentionally hitting the bad parts in the road, the car took the abuse with dishing out minimal discomfort to the driver. There is NO teeth chatter with this setup. Hitting a U-turn lane at about 25-30mph, where the SC would squeal, no longer happened. It stayed firmly planted.

We turned into a Lexus dealership got out of the car and realized how awesome this setup is. Everyday I drive it, I love it more. It has a sportier feel, with the Lexus smoothness still, if that makes some sense? Its nice to know, I can have it as low as I have now and go about another 1" both ways and not worry about a harsh ride.

Why is this? I guess its pairing the Bilstein Shocks that are valved to deal with springs that are up to 20% over stock rates and the softer Hypercoil springs help it. Why Bilstein? Top end car manufactures use Bilstein.

Thats basically all I have to say about it, I love it. I give it a 9/10, 1 point off because I had to mod the sleeves and I burnt my finger doing it

Here are some pics from the install.

What you will need is
$379 Toyota Supra Bilstein Shock set (SHOX.COM)
QTY2 part num. AK1242 for Front shocks
QTY2 part num. AK1243 for Rear shocks
QTY 4x Bilstein Coilover Sleeve Kit Bilstein part #193117 these are the 2" sleeves(summit racing) http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Hypercoil Springs
QTY X2 $55 ea Front: 8" x 2.5"ID 500lb/in rate (shock-shop.com)
QTY X2 $55 ea Rear 10" x 2.5"ID 250lb/in Rate (shock-shop.com)
Personally I was going to go with 300lbs for the rear, they were out, so I went with 275lbs.

Some parts laying around. Stock rears in the picture. You will need the strut mount from it and the bump stop if you care to use it.

Cutting the sleeve and sliding it over the shock onto the C-Clip

Suspension all together. Modded bump stop.

Friend and I getting it in. (SHOLEXMAN on CL)

More on next post

Last edited by RedPhoenix; 03-02-08 at 06:18 AM.
Old 02-25-08, 08:08 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Default continued

Installed, Front, Rear, and picture of how the mount sits on the sleeve hat.

How the car is sitting now...

I really have nothing else to say now. Ask questions and read up on the Supra Forum's thread here
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...light=bilstein

I just wanted to say thanks to Drew for answering all my questions and to my friend Sean for being there for too long with the suspension.

Thanks for your time!

Matt

Last edited by RedPhoenix; 02-25-08 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-25-08, 08:20 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Awsome review, and nice writeup. glad you like the setup. i keep on hearing good things about it.
Old 02-25-08, 08:23 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh yeah that ride was FTW times 80! Then dropped by Lexus of Clearwater to take some pics. Pretty easy for not having to use a lift and basic hand tools.A little air tools action was involved but not much.4 and a half hours man your neighbors were probably pissed at 1 in the morning haha.
Old 02-25-08, 09:43 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

thanks for the info. if i dont end up getting stance i will go to my bosses friend's race shop, Uve Olson Racing, in Lake forest, IL and get my car corner weighed. after that, with my boss's guidance choose the right valving and spring rates. if i do this though ill get a full out race setup.
Old 02-26-08, 01:09 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice review of them! First one I have heard of on an SC chassis.
Old 02-26-08, 01:19 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

you is a dirty man...i like that
Old 02-26-08, 06:54 AM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

Way to go guys! Great detail Matt. Awesome review, I am definitely sold! Where'd you get the bilstein's used and for how much?

Btw, your car looks very hot now!
Old 02-26-08, 10:04 AM
Baoser
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

nifty, might need to visit drew...haha
Old 02-26-08, 10:34 AM
CLRH2O
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RedPhoenix / Matt, I live in Tampa myself and have been waiting out the Blisten shortage everyone is aware of to build this out for my SC400. I'd love to be able to meet with you at some point and see the setup first hand while waiting for the parts this setup requires to become available here in the united states again.

PM me if your willing
Old 02-26-08, 05:10 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great writeup, thanks for the review!

I'm going with a bit softer drop for my SC, with some stock TT springs and the Bilstiens (if they ever get back in stock, arrrggggg) and Supra TT sway bars once I can order subframe mounts, new bushings, new endlinks, etc.
Old 02-26-08, 05:33 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

nice write-up
Old 02-26-08, 05:37 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks folks. If you have any questions feel free to ask, better in this thread if you want. More info for everyone else.

If anyone wants a ride to feel it, I have no problem doing that, just PM me.
Old 02-26-08, 05:46 PM
Touge
Pole Position

Looks good and great write up. How was hard was the front installation ?. Did you remove the upper control arm ?.
Old 02-26-08, 05:56 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Nah I just took the 2 bolts off that held the shock to the control arm, its a bracket. Slid it right out

Quick Reply: My gixxer_drew Bilstein Hypercoil Review