Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

My gixxer_drew Bilstein Hypercoil Review

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-08, 03:13 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sc300max
Lies! I bet you have CL sync'd to your mobile device so you get alerts when your threads are replied to.

You caught me -
Old 04-22-08, 07:55 PM
sumotime
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to post this set up. I have enjoyed the evolution of your car and all the upgrades you have done since I saw it at Quaker State. Now maybe I can come off a dime and start doing some upgrades to my sc3. Sumo
Old 04-24-08, 06:42 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sumotime
Thanks for taking the time to post this set up. I have enjoyed the evolution of your car and all the upgrades you have done since I saw it at Quaker State. Now maybe I can come off a dime and start doing some upgrades to my sc3. Sumo
Orly? I remember when you came out! That was back when I just got my car... bone stock pretty much!

Thanks bud
Old 04-26-08, 05:50 AM
sumotime
Rookie

No to Orly .It was at Pinellis Park . Me and the wife came in my White sc3 .
Mark
Old 04-28-08, 11:10 AM
sumotime
Rookie

R. P So it has been 2 months or so since the install. How would you rate the ride and handling? Any problems with the set up bottoming out? Did you use the factory bumpstops or get new ones? I just put on some enkai's on the sc3 aqnd love them . So that is the reason for the interest in this thread.
What is next for the car? Brakes ? more suspension modes? Turbo ? Mark
Old 04-28-08, 12:34 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice!!! im thinking of doing this now can the same be done with... say kyb agx?
Old 04-30-08, 05:41 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SickSC
nice!!! im thinking of doing this now can the same be done with... say kyb agx?
Nope, sorry. Needs to have a removable perch, which the Bilsteins have.

R. P So it has been 2 months or so since the install. How would you rate the ride and handling? Any problems with the set up bottoming out? Did you use the factory bumpstops or get new ones? I just put on some enkai's on the sc3 aqnd love them . So that is the reason for the interest in this thread.
What is next for the car? Brakes ? more suspension modes? Turbo ? Mark
2 months down, feels good. Ive gotten used to it. I have found my limitations. I have to slow down over railroad tracks, ****ty roads are no no's, taking speed bumps fast will hit the frame, and taking angled drivways are the way.

But in return, its ultra low, give a MEAN stance, which is the best part. rides smooth on good roads, but ****ty roads (construction) its rough, but thats expected on a lowered car or any car in general.
Old 04-30-08, 10:53 AM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

No to Orly .It was at Pinellis Park . Me and the wife came in my White sc3 .
Mark
lol i remember you too, only saw you that one time, i had the platinum silver SC and it was my first time out that night too.

BTW, Matt, I might need to talk to you soon about my suspension, I'm starting to get some money together and coilovers is what i want to start with on the new ride.
Old 05-01-08, 04:01 PM
Stupidnewb
Rookie

I got my shocks today, finally! Here's some pics of my setup. I am using Carrera 500/300lb springs and 5" sleeves from Speedway Racing. The shocks were $430 after shipping, the springs/sleeves and adjuster tool were $368 after shipping. The only coilovers available at that price would be Megans or Tein Basics....yea, I'd say these are the best option for the money.

Here you can see I've put the spring ring to the lower setting. The sleeves are mounted with the inner angled ring contacting the spring ring, as the other direction would stick out to the point that the endcaps wouldn't seat.

Here is a look at the stock mounting location vs. the lowest possible setting on the sleeve. I don't plan on dropping more than 1.5" or so, so this is more than enough. The 7" sleeves are probably a better option if dropping 3"+.

Endcaps mounted. You can see that it is a close fit. The sleeves wouldn't fit facing the opposite direction.

And with the Carrera springs. Shiny!

Last one, my dog is unimpressed.
Old 05-08-08, 06:45 PM
sumotime
Rookie

Stupidnewb

So post a pic of the car with the new suspension. PLEASE!!!
Old 05-11-08, 04:10 PM
Stupidnewb
Rookie

I haven't gotten around to installing them yet, but I'm going to throw them on the car this Tuesday. My work schedule is not very conductive to car projects.
Old 05-11-08, 04:38 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Those look nice man, which sleeves are those? I bought mine from Bilstein because we didnt know of any others that would of been compatible. Glad to see the shocks ACTUALLY available now.

Matt
Old 05-11-08, 08:43 PM
Stupidnewb
Rookie

I ordered mine from Speedway Motors, they are 5" sleeves that specified that they work with Bilsteins. $39.99 a piece.
Old 05-12-08, 08:35 AM
CLRH2O
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I were to pick up the phone (or open another browser window) today... right now... Where would I go to buy my set of Bilsteins? (and sleeves and coils too for that matter).

Stupidnewb - you say Speedway Motors is where to go for you particular choice in sleeves, but where did you get the springs/sleeves and adjuster tool? Then where did you order the Bilstiens' themselves for that matter? And I notice that the top hat is machine aluminum just like the seat - it must be part of the sleeves *kit*?

Thank you for any time you have to answer these questions

Last edited by CLRH2O; 05-12-08 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-12-08, 03:49 PM
Stupidnewb
Rookie

The shocks came from eshox.com Everything else from Speedway. The sleeves come as a kit with the top hat and spring seat. The springs are Carrera springs, the adjuster tool is just a generic Speedway brand. If you go to http://www.speedwaymotors.com/m/155_...Coil-Over.html you'll find everything you need but the shocks.

Quick Reply: My gixxer_drew Bilstein Hypercoil Review