Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

1996 SC400 - Reasonable Expectations

Old 05-29-14, 04:50 AM
amicrazy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 SC400 - Reasonable Expectations

I have a 1996 SC400 with 155K on it. I'm the third owner - both prior owners meticulously maintained the vehicle. It's all original (no mods that is, there certainly have been parts replaced, but even the battery is Lexus). According to my mechanic, the car needs nothing (other than a evap switch that broke after he said that.)

As part of getting the evap switch repaired, I got an es350 loaner, which really made the following obvious to me - the suspension on the sc400 is not exactly smooth.

On the highway, with no bumps etc, it's a peach. Hit a bump, hit an overpass, and it really is pretty noisy, and a bit jarring - I cringe driving some of these roads here in New England. (BTW, I hear a lot of noise from the trunk in general - when a CD changes it's pretty darn loud).

I've experience this kind of "old age" stiffness/looseness on other vehicles I have owned - but never understood what needs to be replaced to get to that semi-new car tightness and quiet-ness.

I'm not sure what the right expectation should be. If a new SC400 was a dream to drive suspension wise, and there are repairs that can be made to get it to that point, I'd be interested in getting them done. I just don't know if that's a reasonable expectation, and if it is, where to start.
Old 05-29-14, 10:33 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say get your engine and tranny mounts replaced. I recommend these be replaced on every SC whether you think they need to be or not. And if you don't know if they've been replaced, that means you definitely DO need to replace them. This will restore a lot of the original quietness and smoothness of the ride. It will also get rid of any vibrations you have, and even some you didn't know you had.

As for suspension, you're looking at all new (rubber not polyurethane) bushings on the control arms (upper and lower), new shocks (although everyone on the forum will suggest coilovers - if you do go the coilover route I reccomend the Tein Comfort Sports, a fiend just installed them on his SC and I'd say the ride is just as smooth as stock, plus improved cornering/handing, not to mention height and dampening adjustable).

I'd also search up suspension "top hats" (I think that's what they're called) as these are also rubber likely need to be replaced. I'm not 100% sure about these, but I read somewhere that replacing them also improved overall ride quality.
Old 05-29-14, 10:48 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Top hat" or "pillow ball mount"? Same thing? I'm not sure, you'll have to do some research, but I do remember a big thread about replacing something along these lines improving ride quality.
Old 05-29-14, 10:52 AM
amicrazy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks so much for the advice!
Old 05-30-14, 08:28 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

yeah top hat on the shocks, make sure shocks are not blown. mounts will get rid of the clunks if there are any.
If you have some clunks upon turning or loose feeling then that could be lower control arms.
if you have play in the steering wheel left to right, that is steering rack bushings.

those are the most common things that affect the ride and handling, checking/replace all of those and the SC will feel better.
Old 05-30-14, 12:53 PM
RicoLSX
Driver

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
.... new shocks (although everyone on the forum will suggest coilovers - if you do go the coilover route I reccomend the Tein Comfort Sports, a fiend just installed them on his SC and I'd say the ride is just as smooth as stock, plus improved cornering/handing, not to mention height and dampening adjustable).

I'd also search up suspension "top hats" (I think that's what they're called) as these are also rubber likely need to be replaced. I'm not 100% sure about these, but I read somewhere that replacing them also improved overall ride quality.
I have a question for you, did your friend just install the Comfort Sport on a SC300/400? Or SC430? Reason I ask is I have inquired with shops in my area and checked the Tein website as well but everything points the Comfort Sport not being available for this generation.

Any info you can provide would be helpful. I was going for the Comfort Sports originally but six months ago set eyes on the KW V3 when I was told it wasn't available for my SC.
Old 05-30-14, 01:02 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

I've replaced all the parts everyone has mentioned in this thread. I got stock transmission mounts, tokico blue shocks, daizen and prothane bushings, and brand new tires for my car when I first got it. My shock mount bushings were torn when I got the car because whoever installed the replacement kyb shocks on my car didn't seat the spring correctly and it twisted the bushings. After replacing all these parts the car was so smooth and comfortable to drive (not that it wasn't before, but it was even better now).

After that I started addressing all the small rattling noises inside the car by removing all the panels that rattled and changed all the clips with new clips from Lexus.

On my car I unbolted the cd changer and re-installed it. It made it a quieter when changing disc for some reason. I'm not sure why it worked, but it's easy enough that it is worth trying.
Old 05-30-14, 01:07 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RicoLSX
I have a question for you, did your friend just install the Comfort Sport on a SC300/400? Or SC430? Reason I ask is I have inquired with shops in my area and checked the Tein website as well but everything points the Comfort Sport not being available for this generation.

Any info you can provide would be helpful. I was going for the Comfort Sports originally but six months ago set eyes on the KW V3 when I was told it wasn't available for my SC.
I believe the tein comfort sports have been discontinued for some time now for the sc3/400. Your best bet would be trying to find a used set and then having tein rebuild them, but that might take a while.
Old 05-30-14, 01:42 PM
RicoLSX
Driver

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
I believe the tein comfort sports have been discontinued for some time now for the sc3/400. Your best bet would be trying to find a used set and then having tein rebuild them, but that might take a while.
Damn, you are correct. I just spoke to Tein directly and they confirmed they no longer offer the CS for the SC. They can manufacture the CS model if you wanted but for an extra 30% of the original MSRP = $2,200 or so which puts it right at the price point of the KW V3. The Tein rep pointed out the V3 maybe more performance oriented with stiffer spring rates, but I read here from other members that the V3 rode real smooth and at times better than stock. Now I'm torn between the KW V3 or the Tein Basis.
Old 05-30-14, 02:12 PM
amicrazy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
yeah top hat on the shocks, make sure shocks are not blown. mounts will get rid of the clunks if there are any.
If you have some clunks upon turning or loose feeling then that could be lower control arms.
if you have play in the steering wheel left to right, that is steering rack bushings.

those are the most common things that affect the ride and handling, checking/replace all of those and the SC will feel better.
The shocks were replaced with Lexus factory shocks about 40K miles ago - control arms replaced etc.

There is no play in the steering, no clunks in the steering - on the highway 110 feels like 60.

I'll be picking up from the Lexus dealer for a check engine light fix tomorrow - I'll take it around and see if I can pinpoint the problem(s) more accurately.
Old 05-30-14, 02:42 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RicoLSX
Damn, you are correct. I just spoke to Tein directly and they confirmed they no longer offer the CS for the SC. They can manufacture the CS model if you wanted but for an extra 30% of the original MSRP = $2,200 or so which puts it right at the price point of the KW V3. The Tein rep pointed out the V3 maybe more performance oriented with stiffer spring rates, but I read here from other members that the V3 rode real smooth and at times better than stock. Now I'm torn between the KW V3 or the Tein Basis.
The kw v3 is known for having relatively soft spring rates (compared to competitors) and being more comfortable than stock. The damper is built so well that it outperforms most other coilovers while having softer springs. If I ever replace my HKS coilovers with another coilover I would go kw v3 (if my budget at the time allows).
Old 05-30-14, 08:42 PM
wth98sc
Driver

There isnt anything close to the kw v3s without the price tag? 2200 is pretty steep
Old 05-30-14, 11:53 PM
ArkLaTexSC
Pole Position

My D2's are a whole lot nicer riding than most $1000-range coils but I wouldn't come close compared to OEM.
Old 05-31-14, 01:50 AM
- V -
Instructor

Received 161 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by ArkLaTexSC
My D2's are a whole lot nicer riding than most $1000-range coils but I wouldn't come close compared to OEM.
By that do you mean that the D2's are a lot stiffer?

im looking for a new suspension set myself and im torn between D2's and BC Racing
Old 05-31-14, 10:02 AM
amicrazy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by amicrazy
The shocks were replaced with Lexus factory shocks about 40K miles ago - control arms replaced etc.

There is no play in the steering, no clunks in the steering - on the highway 110 feels like 60.

I'll be picking up from the Lexus dealer for a check engine light fix tomorrow - I'll take it around and see if I can pinpoint the problem(s) more accurately.
I talked to the dealer about this - they said it's just the way the car rides - stiff sport suspension made for smooth Japanese roads.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1996 SC400 - Reasonable Expectations