Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Big Brake Upgrade Myths and Fact *LONG Discussion*

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-08, 06:44 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No spacers needed. Plenty of room for the calipers.

I believe all the staggered fitment Sportmax wheels are designed to clear big brake kits.

Ryan
Old 03-26-08, 07:16 PM
cruzinbill
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the same sportmax rims but gunmetal 17" 35mm offset and i need spacers on the front to clear supra TT calipers
Old 03-27-08, 07:57 AM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, that is why I went with the 18s. The staggered 18" Sportmax wheels are specifically designed to fit big brakes.
Old 03-28-08, 08:01 PM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

I have stock sc400 brakes and my car stops great .My brake system runs with nitrogen tank for better braking so my upgrade was there from factory .My sc3 brake would of heat up instantly over 100 mph but never had those problems with the sc4 .If i felt my life was in danger because of my brakes then i would be looking into an upgrade but it does the job without any problems so stock sc4 brakes ftw!
Old 03-31-08, 04:32 PM
talltrini1
Pit Crew

Interesting thread. I am picking up a 99 SC300 with Supra TT front brakes and stock rears with Brembo rotors (Hawk pads all around). I was wondering if I should bother to get Supra TT rears as well; opinions and reasoning welcome!
Old 03-31-08, 04:57 PM
LCSC
Lead Lap

I have a sc300 with TT fronts and stock rears. I think that it works great at the track and if I do put TT rears on it will most likely just be for the look and nothing more.
Old 04-01-08, 08:58 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Everything you guys have listed is right, but I think you guys have not taken a large variable here into consideration.

A 4-pot brake requires more brake pressure to push the cylinders.
Thus, when you are at the point on the pedal where the stock brakes apply X amount of force to the disc brake...
when you have 2 more pistons now, you will have to push the pedal further create more pressure to achieve the same amount of force on the caliper.
this is why you get that dead pedal feel on top.

as a side affect of this, you are indeed changing your brake bias, because at that point where the front brakes apply the same force, the rear stock brakes are at a higher pressure than they would normally be.

all is not lost though, because I am only talking about piston force here. the added surface area of the 4 pot brakes will help stop it faster with less force which helps balance out this bias a bit to where you don't notice it.

To say that matching tt rears to tt fronts will not correct the obvious bias created in a precisely tuned hydraulic system is simply wrong.
will you notice it, maybe not, but thats why it was made like that.
Old 04-01-08, 09:49 AM
LCSC
Lead Lap

I think what it comes down to is if you have ever tried to stop in an sc300 at over 120 mph you know that the brakes are worthless and at any speed the TT brakes brake very hard with very little effort. As far as the brake bias goes I would rather have a bit too little in the rear than too much.
Old 04-01-08, 02:19 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by LCSC
I think what it comes down to is if you have ever tried to stop in an sc300 at over 120 mph you know that the brakes are worthless and at any speed the TT brakes brake very hard with very little effort. As far as the brake bias goes I would rather have a bit too little in the rear than too much.
yup, bit too little will do you more good than too much, in the rear.
supra tt up front and stock out back is good.
supra tt all around is better.
as for ls400 vs supra tt i think its quite obvious one was designed for a sports car and one was designed for a luxury sedan. performance wise both are good.
feel free to choose accordingly.
Old 04-03-08, 06:09 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The word "Brake Bias" seems to confuse and scare the people on this particular LS or Supra TT brake swap. I've been there and done that and honestly, I don't see the crap brake bias comes into play. The LS brake stops a lot better in all street & weather conditions. It stops better and smooth, too. But make sure when you swap in the new LS for the front, change the new pads for the stock rear as well to balance out.

The brake bias might be present if you swap in like a huge brake system in the front and leave the rear stock. If you try to stop people from swapping to the LS brake, please make sure you try it first to gain the experience, then you can talk. I'm sorry to offend several members here, but this topic "brake bias" on the LS swap has kept going on on many threads and forums.
Old 04-03-08, 06:26 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by talltrini1
Interesting thread. I am picking up a 99 SC300 with Supra TT front brakes and stock rears with Brembo rotors (Hawk pads all around). I was wondering if I should bother to get Supra TT rears as well; opinions and reasoning welcome!
do a search. it has been discussed in mathematical terms by Gunsluvs14 and in real life experience by Blizzy

Originally Posted by stevechumo
The word "Brake Bias" seems to confuse and scare the people on this particular LS or Supra TT brake swap. I've been there and done that and honestly, I don't see the crap brake bias comes into play. The LS brake stops a lot better in all street & weather conditions. It stops better and smooth, too. But make sure when you swap in the new LS for the front, change the new pads for the stock rear as well to balance out.

The brake bias might be present if you swap in like a huge brake system in the front and leave the rear stock. If you try to stop people from swapping to the LS brake, please make sure you try it first to gain the experience, then you can talk. I'm sorry to offend several members here, but this topic "brake bias" on the LS swap has kept going on on many threads and forums.
brake bias will not be a problem for 99% on here even if it is off. the problem is when you tappen to track your car or go autocrossing or drifting. the brake bias is off when swapping the fronts and keeping rears stock. most people will never come to a situation that they will say that they lost on the track due to brake bias....because most people dont track their cars.

its that simple. i have ls400 brakes. i still have to put them on though. from driving a car with a set it is obviously better then stock but you can easily lock up the fronts with the backs not doing anything.

its the same situation for the 240sx crowd. when people swap 300zx fronts it brakes really well but you can lock up the fronts at like 75mph and the backs wont. if you install 300zx brakes front and rear its will be much better but it still wont be perfect. the only solution is to take the 300zx master cylinder, fronts, and rears.

brake bias is very important....just not for an average lexus owner since most dont beat on their cars at the track
Old 04-03-08, 07:46 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

I'd like to ad some info about brake rotors.

This is straight from a conversation I had with a brake rotor engineer at a foundry in California a while back when I was doing a huge brake rotor group purchase.

Just because brake rotors are slotted AND cross drilled doesn't make them better.

People don't understand that by slotting AND cross drilling the rotors, they are effectively LOSING 20% of the rotor to brake pad friction surface area.

food for thought...

Ryan
Old 04-03-08, 07:50 PM
LexFather

Great write-up and comments.

Please do NOT put Brembo stickers on a setup that is NOT Brembo. We don't drive Hondas.
Old 04-03-08, 08:37 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
...most people will never come to a situation that they will say that they lost on the track due to brake bias....because most people dont track their cars...
Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
...brake bias is very important....just not for an average lexus owner since most dont beat on their cars at the track.
That could be true most people don't track their cars. But most of the threads that I read (too many) often tend to make people think they'll have this problem for daily driving. I don't track but I ususually rev my car hard. Even when the turbo kicks in at its peak set up, I can still stop the car smoothly with no problem. This couldn't be done easily when I had my stock SC brake.
Old 04-03-08, 10:28 PM
LCSC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by stevechumo
That could be true most people don't track their cars. But most of the threads that I read (too many) often tend to make people think they'll have this problem for daily driving. I don't track but I ususually rev my car hard. Even when the turbo kicks in at its peak set up, I can still stop the car smoothly with no problem. This couldn't be done easily when I had my stock SC brake.
Very true. But if you do they not only work great day after day but they are very needed.

Quick Reply: Big Brake Upgrade Myths and Fact *LONG Discussion*