ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Suspension and Brakes (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/suspension-and-brakes-185/)
-   -   Tourmalines fit bbk (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/suspension-and-brakes/329447-tourmalines-fit-bbk.html)

Ddot808 01-13-08 11:15 PM

Tourmalines fit bbk

Does anyone know if the 18x8 Lexus Tourmalines will clear a big break kit? :uh: ...Supra or LS brakes? What size rims do I need to clear a bbk? I have a 98 GS4 with the stock 17s. Thanks!

Alexus_300 01-14-08 07:14 AM

The stock IS350 18" wheels clears BBK also.

LexFather 01-14-08 08:36 PM

Not entirely sure by they do clear the 4 pots on the 3GS, which is a much larger brake than the 2pots on the 2GS

Alexus_300 01-17-08 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX (Post 3194442)
Not entirely sure by they do clear the 4 pots on the 3GS, which is a much larger brake than the 2pots on the 2GS

Mike, they do clear the brakes on the newer 3gs 4 pot brakes. I've even tried them on my brake setup and they clear fine. The only slight probelm that I run into is that my rotors barely clear the inner barrels by about 5mm.;):D

LexFather 01-17-08 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Alexus_300 (Post 3201784)
Mike, they do clear the brakes on the newer 3gs 4 pot brakes. I've even tried them on my brake setup and they clear fine. The only slight probelm that I run into is that my rotors barely clear the inner barrels by about 5mm.;):D

Yeah, your setup looks fantastic. I believe you have the split spoke 18s from the IS, the Tourmalines should fit as well since they go on the 430.

Can u post some pics of your set up? I've only seen in person. Maybe start a new thread.

Ddot808 01-17-08 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Alexus_300 (Post 3201784)

Alexus_300- what kinda break set up are you runnin? you said your rotors barely clear the barrels..do you mean the caliper and disc fitting into the rim?
thanx for the help

Alexus_300 01-17-08 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX (Post 3201879)
Yeah, your setup looks fantastic. I believe you have the split spoke 18s from the IS, the Tourmalines should fit as well since they go on the 430.

Can u post some pics of your set up? I've only seen in person. Maybe start a new thread.

I'll get some pics up as soon as I get a chance to wash my car. We are on water restrictions now so I have to go to autobell and have it washed. I'll start a new thread as soon as I get everything cleaned up. As for the 3GS wheel, my roomate has a new GS350 now and one day, we were bored and decided to mount the wheels onto my car and it cleared fine.

Alexus_300 01-17-08 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Ddot808 (Post 3202232)
Alexus_300- what kinda break set up are you runnin? you said your rotors barely clear the barrels..do you mean the caliper and disc fitting into the rim?
thanx for the help

I'm currently running the 8 pot 14.2" D2 Racing BBK on my car now. I believe I'm the only one running this setup on my car at this time because I still need to complete my testing. Once I'm done with testing this setup, I'll have it for sale because I'm moving on to a bigger setup. Can we say 15.8" rotor and 12 pistons....;)

GS FONZy 01-17-08 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ddot808 (Post 3191917)
Does anyone know if the 18x8 Lexus Tourmalines will clear a big break kit? :uh: ...Supra or LS brakes? What size rims do I need to clear a bbk? I have a 98 GS4 with the stock 17s. Thanks!

You can use your stock 17s, but you have to use spacers or any high disk 17" wheels will work too.

Ddot808 01-17-08 10:36 PM

Thanks for the replies :).
So if i understand this right any 18 inch rim will fit most BBKs. I thought the curve/shape of the spokes determined if a rim would fit over brakes...sounds like i thought wrong.

How big of a spacer would i need to clear a BBK with my stock 17s?

GS FONZy 01-19-08 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Ddot808 (Post 3203931)
Thanks for the replies :).
So if i understand this right any 18 inch rim will fit most BBKs. I thought the curve/shape of the spokes determined if a rim would fit over brakes...sounds like i thought wrong.

You were correct. Not just any 18" wheels fts, it has to be a high disc wheel to clear big calipers.

Originally Posted by Ddot808 (Post 3203931)
How big of a spacer would i need to clear a BBK with my stock 17s?

you need a 15mm spacer.

Ddot808 01-19-08 02:57 PM

how can you tell if a rim is a high disc wheel? is there a measurement to look at? would a 18 need a spacer to fit a BBK?
thanks for the help:D

GS FONZy 01-19-08 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Ddot808 (Post 3207871)
how can you tell if a rim is a high disc wheel? is there a measurement to look at? would a 18 need a spacer to fit a BBK?
thanks for the help:D

I think you are getting confused and I don't blame you, sometimes reading posts that are not very clear can get confusing. Most BBKs will require a bigger diameter wheel and bigger clearance from the pad of the wheel to the face. Wheels that are designed with bigger clearence from pad to face are called high disc, which is what you need in a 17" or larger wheel in order to clear mkiv tt or LS brakes.
I also hope you already know about RCAs if you go with LS brakes.

18" wheels have enough clearance in diameter to fit over TT/LS bbk, but does not mean that it will have enough cleareance from pad to face. This is why stock 17s require spacers, to increase the distance and have enough space to fit the bigger cailiper. In order to tell if a wheel is high disc or not, you will need to messure the distance from pad to face to determin if there is enough space to clear the caliper.

Ddot808 01-19-08 11:56 PM

Thanks Fonzy:thumbup::thumbup:
I think some tourmalines are on my wish list!! Now to find the money before the Seawell sale ends this month!!:egads: