Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake Pads-Don't make same mistake

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-07, 12:57 PM
denvergs4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pads-Don't make same mistake

So decided to change my brake pads over the weekend (just fronts) which was really easy only..... When I installed my 20" rims my pads were much smaller therefore making my calipers smaller. I didn't need spacers. Now once the new pads were put on I needed spacers. I didn't even think about it.... Now on my left rim there is a huge scratch on the inside overflowing to the end of the chrome which is visible.

So just make sure this base is covered before you make the $450 mistake I did.
Old 10-22-07, 12:59 PM
DJ TANTRA
Lexus Test Driver

owch.

that must have beeen painful :-\

thanks for the headsupp
Old 10-22-07, 01:12 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by denvergs4
So decided to change my brake pads over the weekend (just fronts) which was really easy only..... When I installed my 20" rims my pads were much smaller therefore making my calipers smaller. I didn't need spacers. Now once the new pads were put on I needed spacers. I didn't even think about it.... Now on my left rim there is a huge scratch on the inside overflowing to the end of the chrome which is visible.

So just make sure this base is covered before you make the $450 mistake I did.
I'm not quite sure how changing new pads would change the offset of your car/wheel. From the many brake setup that I've changed on both the IS300 and GS300, the pads are housed inside the caliper housing therefore the pad does not protrude after any replacement. What you should do is inspect the caliper mounting bolt to make sure that it is torque down to spec and then check the boot to make sure that it is is busted where the bolt slide thru.
Old 10-22-07, 02:53 PM
denvergs4
Driver

Alexus 300, I thought the same thing.... However the problem is the caliper fluctuates in size due to the size of the pad, notice you can move the caliper left or right when removing. It is set up this way to adjust to the brake pad width. IF not the pad would slide around.
Old 10-22-07, 04:23 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

sounds like the offset was not the correct offset to clear the stock calipers to begin with.
Old 10-22-07, 05:58 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I think the GS stock brakes use the slider design. Therefore the outer caliper piece will slide in/out accordingly with pad thickness. My buddy with a Scion TC had this exact problem. We dropped in new pads and the caliper was having clearance issues. Caliper was now sticking out further and hitting the spokes on the rim. We ended up grinding down the caliper with an angle grinder to clear the rim LOL!
Old 10-22-07, 07:23 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
I think the GS stock brakes use the slider design. Therefore the outer caliper piece will slide in/out accordingly with pad thickness. My buddy with a Scion TC had this exact problem. We dropped in new pads and the caliper was having clearance issues. Caliper was now sticking out further and hitting the spokes on the rim. We ended up grinding down the caliper with an angle grinder to clear the rim LOL!
If that's the case then it has to be the offset of the wheel being wrong in the first place. I suggest getting a 5mm spacer to see if that clears the caliper.