Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

HKS Hipermax LS+ or Tein CS V.2

Old 08-06-07, 03:37 PM
PineGreen
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HKS Hipermax LS+ or Tein CS V.2

Hey all, I have the Tein CS V.2. I have it set at pretty much the softest setting and was looking for something possibly a little softer. I've search and read about those w/ the HKS LS+ coilovers. Are there any members that have had both and can let me know how the HKS LS+ feels compared to the CS V.2. I read that a few said that at its softest setting, the LS+ as soft or even softer than stock (Jtanoyo???). Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-06-07, 06:28 PM
DzaztrBUSE
Lexus Test Driver

Kid Lexus has them on. I know their HKS for sure but dont know what model exactly.
Old 08-06-07, 09:24 PM
PineGreen
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DzaztrBUSE
Kid Lexus has them on. I know their HKS for sure but dont know what model exactly.
Thanks, I'll try and PM him.
Old 08-06-07, 10:02 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I'd like to know as well. Let me know if you've found anything!
Old 08-06-07, 11:24 PM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PineGreen
Hey all, I have the Tein CS V.2. I have it set at pretty much the softest setting and was looking for something possibly a little softer. I've search and read about those w/ the HKS LS+ coilovers. Are there any members that have had both and can let me know how the HKS LS+ feels compared to the CS V.2. I read that a few said that at its softest setting, the LS+ as soft or even softer than stock (Jtanoyo???). Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hey PineGreen,

Would you give us your review of the CS v2's? Love to hear what your thoughts are on them. When you say you want them a little softer are you saying that they are stiff at the softest setting? Or is it just you want it really soft? Any complaints or noises about them? Let us all know. thanks!
Old 08-07-07, 11:07 AM
PineGreen
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Scott1258
Hey PineGreen,

Would you give us your review of the CS v2's? Love to hear what your thoughts are on them. When you say you want them a little softer are you saying that they are stiff at the softest setting? Or is it just you want it really soft? Any complaints or noises about them? Let us all know. thanks!
It's not that I want it super soft, but I'd like the ability to go softer. I have a 4 month old that I feel gets a little jerked around a little bit when I hit a big bump.

As far as my experience w/ the Tein CS v2s go, they aren't bad at all. I've had them for about a year now. I've been lucky and have had no squeaks or noises yet (like some other peeps have complained about). That could be cuz I don't have a major drop on the car. I'm only around 1.5 fingers all around. For my purposes, the drop is just fine. My wife drives the car sometimes and she wouldn't want the extra headache of having to avoid all bumps, parking blocks, etc. At the softest setting for the CS, it's definitely not floaty. For the most part, it's pretty good. It's only when I'm going at a high speed (eg, freeway) and I hit a bump/dip that really makes me wish it was a little softer. In those cases, the CS v2s rebound maybe once (car body goes down and then comes back up and then settles right away), where as the stock would probably rebound about 3 times before settling. It's the force of that one rebound or so that I wish was a little softer. Definitely no floaty feel of the stock and definitely not unbearable (sp?). It definitely gives you more peace of mind that the car feels a lot more stable and controlled. I just wouldn't mind a little more motion, BUT not quite like stock. Maybe I'm asking for too much, but I'd like to get it a little closer to the softness of stock. For me, if I had to rank the CS on a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being like stock and 10 being extremely stiff), I'd have to say the CS are a 4 at the softest setting. Mind you, I don't any experience w/ other coilover systems at all and am just guessing at how a 10 would feel like (definitely not something I would be interested in feeling). I'm just looking for something that's like a 2 or 3.

I understand that there's give and take between comfort and control, but I'd like a little more flexibility in going a little more toward the comfort side of things. From what I've read here, the Hipermax LS+ seem to be the coilovers that would be the best ones for me. That's the only reason why I'd consider switching. If they are not as soft as what peeps say, then I'd be more than happy to stick w/ the CS v2. Hope that answers your question on the feel of the CS v2 (at least my opinion on how they feel). Just remember, what's soft to others isn't soft to some, etc. Hopefully someone can chime in who has the HKS Hipermax LS+ and let me know.
Old 08-07-07, 11:24 AM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Hey thanks for the review!

Here's an option for you on softening up the CS's: The spring rates are 9/8 (front/rear) on them and accordiing to Tein you can raise or lower them by up to 2kgs. So rather than getting a whole new system you can replace the springs for a fraction of the cost. You could do a 8/7 or even a 7/6 and you would soften them up to the point where you would get the softness you are seeking. If I remember correctly I think the stock spring rates are around 7/5. So this gives you something to go on.

I think the springs are about $50 each from Tein. So for $200 you get what you are trying to achieve without having to buy a new set and try and sell the old one.

I've been researching this a bit too and the LS+'s are similar to the CS's. Here's the numbers I was given by both HKS and Tein for these systems:

Tein CS Spring rates 9/8, Compression Rebound Front 1450/605, Rear 1450/605.
HKS LS+ Spring rates 10/9, Compression Rebout front 1712/505, Rear 1273/335

So from these numbers it looks like the LS+ is a little stiffer than the CS v2. From what I understand there is more to it than just the raw numbers but this gives an idea of how stiff/soft these 2 coilovers are. The spring rates alone with give the LS+ a stiffer ride.

Hope this is helpful.

Also, what part of CA are you in? If in S.CA. what's the car like on the freeway when you hit the expansion joints on some of the bad freeways? Is the ride rather smooth or are you bouncing around on the bad freeways and your wife is looking at you saying what have you done to the car? Let me know. Thanks!

Scott

Last edited by Scott1258; 08-07-07 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-07-07, 01:49 PM
DrewGS350
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey thanks for the review!

Here's an option for you on softening up the CS's: The spring rates are 9/8 (front/rear) on them and accordiing to Tein you can raise or lower them by up to 2kgs. So rather than getting a whole new system you can replace the springs for a fraction of the cost. You could do a 8/7 or even a 7/6 and you would soften them up to the point where you would get the softness you are seeking. If I remember correctly I think the stock spring rates are around 7/5. So this gives you something to go on.

I think the springs are about $50 each from Tein. So for $200 you get what you are trying to achieve without having to buy a new set and try and sell the old one.

I've been researching this a bit too and the LS+'s are similar to the CS's. Here's the numbers I was given by both HKS and Tein for these systems:

Tein CS Spring rates 9/8, Compression Rebound Front 1450/605, Rear 1450/605.
HKS LS+ Spring rates 10/9, Compression Rebout front 1712/505, Rear 1273/335

So from these numbers it looks like the LS+ is a little stiffer than the CS v2. From what I understand there is more to it than just the raw numbers but this gives an idea of how stiff/soft these 2 coilovers are. The spring rates alone with give the LS+ a stiffer ride.

Hope this is helpful.

Also, what part of CA are you in? If in S.CA. what's the car like on the freeway when you hit the expansion joints on some of the bad freeways? Is the ride rather smooth or are you bouncing around on the bad freeways and your wife is looking at you saying what have you done to the car? Let me know. Thanks!

Scott
Scott,
I am a novice with all this but I am trying to achieve the same thing "Pinegreen" is talking about. Can you explain Compression Rebound? Ironically, I have been considering the Tein CS, HKS LS+ and Bilstein PSS. The HKS has 30 different dampening settings , Tein CS 16 and the Bilstein PSS has 9. With the range would'nt the HKS give you the greater balance between stiffness and softness? I want to lower to 1.5 inch gap, looking for some improved handling, almost stock ride and a Coilover system that has some longevity. This car is my daily ride and I will be in Tucson AZ shortly.

Drew
Old 08-07-07, 01:54 PM
DrewGS350
Instructor

It's not that I want it super soft, but I'd like the ability to go softer. I have a 4 month old that I feel gets a little jerked around a little bit when I hit a big bump.

As far as my experience w/ the Tein CS v2s go, they aren't bad at all. I've had them for about a year now. I've been lucky and have had no squeaks or noises yet (like some other peeps have complained about). That could be cuz I don't have a major drop on the car. I'm only around 1.5 fingers all around. For my purposes, the drop is just fine. My wife drives the car sometimes and she wouldn't want the extra headache of having to avoid all bumps, parking blocks, etc. At the softest setting for the CS, it's definitely not floaty. For the most part, it's pretty good. It's only when I'm going at a high speed (eg, freeway) and I hit a bump/dip that really makes me wish it was a little softer. In those cases, the CS v2s rebound maybe once (car body goes down and then comes back up and then settles right away), where as the stock would probably rebound about 3 times before settling. It's the force of that one rebound or so that I wish was a little softer. Definitely no floaty feel of the stock and definitely not unbearable (sp?). It definitely gives you more peace of mind that the car feels a lot more stable and controlled. I just wouldn't mind a little more motion, BUT not quite like stock. Maybe I'm asking for too much, but I'd like to get it a little closer to the softness of stock. For me, if I had to rank the CS on a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being like stock and 10 being extremely stiff), I'd have to say the CS are a 4 at the softest setting. Mind you, I don't any experience w/ other coilover systems at all and am just guessing at how a 10 would feel like (definitely not something I would be interested in feeling). I'm just looking for something that's like a 2 or 3.

I understand that there's give and take between comfort and control, but I'd like a little more flexibility in going a little more toward the comfort side of things. From what I've read here, the Hipermax LS+ seem to be the coilovers that would be the best ones for me. That's the only reason why I'd consider switching. If they are not as soft as what peeps say, then I'd be more than happy to stick w/ the CS v2. Hope that answers your question on the feel of the CS v2 (at least my opinion on how they feel). Just remember, what's soft to others isn't soft to some, etc. Hopefully someone can chime in who has the HKS Hipermax LS+ and let me know.
That was an excellent review. I understand completely what you are talking about and hope to get the same answers you are seeking. Considering the HKS LS+ also.
Drew
Old 08-07-07, 02:33 PM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DrewGS300
Scott,
I am a novice with all this but I am trying to achieve the same thing "Pinegreen" is talking about. Can you explain Compression Rebound? Ironically, I have been considering the Tein CS, HKS LS+ and Bilstein PSS. The HKS has 30 different dampening settings , Tein CS 16 and the Bilstein PSS has 9. With the range would'nt the HKS give you the greater balance between stiffness and softness? I want to lower to 1.5 inch gap, looking for some improved handling, almost stock ride and a Coilover system that has some longevity. This car is my daily ride and I will be in Tucson AZ shortly.

Drew

Hey Drew,

I can't give you all the details - but basically compression pressure is when the shock moves up when you hit a bump and rebound is the pressure it pushes itself back out. The higher the pressure the stiffer and more performance a shock will be. 16 - 30 settings I don't think makes a difference. With 30 the amount it changes is just smaller. But from one setting to another is not that noticable anyway. Bilstein PSS is not adjustable. The PSS 9 is not available for our cars - only the PSS. Also, LS+ is Japan spec only and is not for sale here in the states. The HKS RS is however, but it only comes with solid mounts not the rubber mounts like on the CS or LS+. PSS uses stock mounts.

The HKS RS has similar numbers as the LS+ except the spring rates are 9/8. I hear it was designed for our roads. Everyone I've talked to about them love them and say they get no noise from the solid mounts. I would like the rubber mounts myself and am leary of getting solid mounts. YOMV

I just found my notes from when i talked to HKs and the RS numbers they gave me are 9/8 springs with Front compression rebound of 1670/520 and rear 1310/360. Also, for some reason I have the LS+ spring rates as 10/9 on one sheet of paper and 9/7 on another sheet. Sooo .... it's one or the other!

Drew, are you able to purchase a set of LS+ in Japan? They are not available here in the states. And would you be willing to ship a set to a fellow CL member, ie... me! Let me know as I too am considering these because I really want a set with the rubber bushing insert rather than the solid mount - it's just that I can't get them here. Maybe you could! Let me know. Thanks,

Scott

PS
Anyone have any comments as to the difference in quality between the Tein and HKS coilovers and which one has more longevity? We'd love to hear!

Last edited by Scott1258; 08-07-07 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-07-07, 02:41 PM
PineGreen
Pole Position

Scott
Thanks for the info Scott. I'm up in N. CA. The car on the freeway drives like a dream. Very solid and very smooth. I hit 110mph before I got the coilovers on and my car would float like crazy, to the point where I was almost scared that it was going to "float" out of control. Now that the CS are on, I NEVER worry about that feeling again. I feel very confident in my car. The expansion joints on freeways are not too much of an issue either. You definitely feel them a bit more w/ the CS over stock, but it is NOTHING bad at all. I absolutely don't mind them one bit. It's only when you are going around 70mph and hit a patch where the road has dips (ie, where the freeway is actually "wavey") where it gets to be kind of abrupt. Not sure if you would know this area, but I used to live in San Diego; and on the 5 South heading into San Diego (past Oceanside), where the 5 splits to the right and Highway 8 splits to the left, there are some dips there. If you ever travel down there, then you'll know what I mean when I say only on wavey sections do the CS get a little harsh (at least for me). Like in my review of the CS above, it only rebounds maybe 1 time, when I think I'd prefer a little more "looseness" and maybe rebound 1.5 to 2 times...if you know what I mean. i may look into the different Tein springs like you mentioned. That sounds like it might definitely help.
Old 08-07-07, 03:01 PM
PineGreen
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DrewGS300
That was an excellent review. I understand completely what you are talking about and hope to get the same answers you are seeking. Considering the HKS LS+ also.
Drew

According to these threads that I searched, the LS+ seems to do the trick.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...t=hks+hipermax

Post #3 by jtanoyo1 says that the softest setting are actually softer than stock.

But I dunno if the spring rates of the LS+ are stiffer. Also, I hear that valving (not sure how it affects it) has an affect on the coilover.
Old 08-07-07, 03:05 PM
PineGreen
Pole Position

Hey Drew,

I can't give you all the details - but basically compression pressure is when the shock moves up when you hit a bump and rebound is the pressure it pushes itself back out. The higher the pressure the stiffer and more performance a shock will be. 16 - 30 settings I don't think makes a difference. With 30 the amount it changes is just smaller. But from one setting to another is not that noticable anyway. Bilstein PSS is not adjustable. The PSS 9 is not available for our cars - only the PSS. Also, LS+ is Japan spec only and is not for sale here in the states. The HKS RS is however, but it only comes with solid mounts not the rubber mounts like on the CS or LS+. PSS uses stock mounts.

The HKS RS has similar numbers as the LS+ except the spring rates are 9/8. I hear it was designed for our roads. Everyone I've talked to about them love them and say they get no noise from the solid mounts. I would like the rubber mounts myself and am leary of getting solid mounts. YOMV

I just found my notes from when i talked to HKs and the RS numbers they gave me are 9/8 springs with Front compression rebound of 1670/520 and rear 1310/360. Also, for some reason I have the LS+ spring rates as 10/9 on one sheet of paper and 9/7 on another sheet. Sooo .... it's one or the other!

Drew, are you able to purchase a set of LS+ in Japan? They are not available here in the states. And would you be willing to ship a set to a fellow CL member, ie... me! Let me know as I too am considering these because I really want a set with the rubber bushing insert rather than the solid mount - it's just that I can't get them here. Maybe you could! Let me know. Thanks,

Scott

PS
Anyone have any comments as to the difference in quality between the Tein and HKS coilovers and which one has more longevity? We'd love to hear!
There's no HKS Hipermax LS+ over here? I think our CL sponsor ltunedparts.com has them. Aren't these them?

http://l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=1437

?
Old 08-07-07, 03:06 PM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

According to these threads that I searched, the LS+ seems to do the trick.

Post #3 by jtanoyo1 says that the softest setting are actually softer than stock.

But I dunno if the spring rates of the LS+ are stiffer. Also, I hear that valving (not sure how it affects it) has an affect on the coilover.

Thanks for the info! When they refer to valving they are referring to the compression / rebound rates I've posted above.
Old 08-07-07, 05:03 PM
DrewGS350
Instructor

There's no HKS Hipermax LS+ over here? I think our CL sponsor ltunedparts.com has them. Aren't these them?

http://l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=1437

?
I heard they are no longer available in the States. There are here! (Japan). I saw them l-tunedparts for $1629. Wonder what their best price would be? Will ask.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HKS Hipermax LS+ or Tein CS V.2