Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

DIY...Lower Your ISx50

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-07, 05:54 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

This is a really good DIY and I'm about to tackle this job myself too. A few questions though before I start.

1. What do you use to cut the bump stops? Eibach says to cut 10mm off and flip the bump stop.
2. What are the torque specs for those 19mm bolts and the others?
3. Can the trunk R/L liners be removed without also removing the other trunk liners?

Last edited by caymandive; 09-26-07 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-26-07, 07:26 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use a razor blade or anything thats sharp for the matter. about the tq specs I can get those to you tonight.
Old 09-26-07, 07:35 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
Use a razor blade or anything thats sharp for the matter. about the tq specs I can get those to you tonight.
Thanks.
Old 10-01-07, 05:56 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Well I got the Eibach springs installed yesterday in about 7 hours. The DIY instructions here were pretty darn good, but for the rear I found that it was impossible to get the strut out without removing the sway bar bolt (See picture below) that goes through the LCA. With that bolt out the LCA is much easier to push down and slide the strut out. To put the sway bar bolt back into the LCA it seemed easiest by doing it with the car on the ground so the sway bar doesn't have any tension on either end. I basically just did everything and lowered the car and put these bolts in at the end.

Old 10-01-07, 06:04 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Default For reference here are the stock springs vs Eibach

Old 10-22-07, 01:06 AM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
This is a really good DIY and I'm about to tackle this job myself too. A few questions though before I start.

1. What do you use to cut the bump stops? Eibach says to cut 10mm off and flip the bump stop.
2. What are the torque specs for those 19mm bolts and the others?
3. Can the trunk R/L liners be removed without also removing the other trunk liners?
Did you put any rubber sleeves on your shocks? Im about to do mine this weekend and was wondering if you had any rubbing or noises? or AFS problems? i read that some people had afs light come on. did you ever get the torque specs for the bolts? if you can help me out it would be great. thanks
Old 10-27-07, 09:21 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice write up! I'll probably be doing this (and installing exhaust next week) within the next few weeks and I had a some questions.

1) Where did you guys jack up the car from and where did you place the stands?

2) Cayman - did you ever get the torque specs?

3) Why do the bump stops need to be cut? Maybe this was addressed in previous posts and I missed it.

4) Did you guys get alignment done after? I read that the IS's camber is not adjustable, but I imagine at least toe should be and maybe caster.

Thanks.
Old 10-27-07, 08:52 PM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

Excellent write up. Very easy to follow. Just installed my springs with a buddy of mine took about 5 hours. very easy to do. Thanks... I printed the DYI out to reference to while during installation. only thing that I didnt like was removing the rear trunk lining.

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
Nice write up! I'll probably be doing this (and installing exhaust next week) within the next few weeks and I had a some questions.

1) Where did you guys jack up the car from and where did you place the stands?

2) Cayman - did you ever get the torque specs?

3) Why do the bump stops need to be cut? Maybe this was addressed in previous posts and I missed it.

4) Did you guys get alignment done after? I read that the IS's camber is not adjustable, but I imagine at least toe should be and maybe caster.

Thanks.
I jacked up the car from the frame. tried the original spot where the oem jack suppose to go with a 2ton jack, but it started to bend. I jacked it up at the frame and placed the car stands under the frame, put the whole car on car stands, made the install alot easier to do.

2) dont know about torque specs just did as tight as I can so no worries. Ill check the bolts after a week.

3) instructions said to cut the bumper stops, so I did. only the rear ones though. you prob dont have to but per instructions. Just wanted to do a correct install.

4) Alignment ----very soon prob in a week or so.

I like the ride quality alot better then stock, its sportier and less body roll. waiting for my springs to set in. Very Happy with the results. Very nice drop but conservative. People claimed to have noises from the dead coils, so I took precaution, couldnt wait for shipping for spring cushion(silencers). my friend said to use this plastic stuff spray from a can, where you can get at your local auto shop, which hardens up to become rubber like plastic, it works but your springs will have gunk on them, easy to remove though.

one problem , my headlights are aiming high now, but no AFS light came on so im happy, easy fix, will manually adjust with horizontal and vertical screws tonight.
good luck with your install, easy but time consuming.

ill post pics soon prob in a day or two. look for my thread

Last edited by iialcii; 10-27-07 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-27-07, 10:51 PM
VIS250P
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive had experience install suspension on HOnda.. There are many thing to do suspension like cut the bumpstop, use spring compressor, special tools and etc.. Honda are very easy to work on and it take me 1 and half hours to do all four.. I never used spring compressor. I cant tell u what Im doing because it is not a safe installation of my own and dont want hurt urself.. By the way, when I read this forum of how to install the suspension on IS.. I beleive it is a little hard but I can do it.. I rather not cut the bumpstop because I beleive the bumpstop help support the shock more travel up and down prevent blown the struts from pressure down hard.. Soon I will get TEin coilover or Roadmagnent spring... The roadmagnent spring lower 2 inches all around and it need the aftermarket shocks.. I will get them whenever they made new aftermarket shocks.. By the way I see some lower the car recommend adjust the AFS sensor upward.. Is that true, adjust the AFS sensor upward or downward or leave it without touch it? Please explain more info..

Last edited by VIS250P; 10-27-07 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-27-07, 11:40 PM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by VIS250P
Ive had experience install suspension on HOnda.. There are many thing to do suspension like cut the bumpstop, use spring compressor, special tools and etc.. Honda are very easy to work on and it take me 1 and half hours to do all four.. I never used spring compressor. I cant tell u what Im doing because it is not a safe installation of my own and dont want hurt urself.. By the way, when I read this forum of how to install the suspension on IS.. I beleive it is a little hard but I can do it.. I rather not cut the bumpstop because I beleive the bumpstop help support the shock more travel up and down prevent blown the struts from pressure down hard.. Soon I will get TEin coilover or Roadmagnent spring... The roadmagnent spring lower 2 inches all around and it need the aftermarket shocks.. I will get them whenever they made new aftermarket shocks.. By the way I see some lower the car recommend adjust the AFS sensor upward.. Is that true, adjust the AFS sensor upward or downward or leave it without touch it? Please explain more info..

yes to the first part of your issue. You need spring compressors when putting the new springs on for saftey. Plus it helps alot when putting the shock and spring assembly together. thats the only special tool I used, others are just the 14mm for the top part of the strut, 17 mm for the bottom, and 10mm n 8mm for the fender/trunk lining oh and a flat head screwdriver. I only cut what was recommended off the bumper stop. 10mm

If you installed on a Honda before then this should be a piece of cake.( Or my friend commented it was just as easy as a civic) only time consuming is removing the trunk lining and the fender lining on the rear, there are alot of bolts in the fenderlining somewhere around 8-14 I believe could of remembered wrong.

I also have read in many forms thats you need to adjust the AFS sensors. I was a little sketchy at first and worried that I might trigger the AFS cel light to go off after installed, with this thought in mind I was planning to adjust the sensor only if it was triggered.But from first hand experience so far so good, NO sensor lights triggered and AFS still works great. I just finished adjusting the headlights to my preferences since the lights were aiming way to high after the drop. I guess I installed the springs correctly and didnt set any sensors off.
When you do the install just watch out for the sensors and try not to mess with them too much . Otherwise you should have no problem on your install.
My springs are starting to set in nicely I believe Eibach hit the drop just right at least for my taste

Last edited by iialcii; 10-27-07 at 11:47 PM.
Old 10-29-07, 08:01 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iialcii
2) dont know about torque specs just did as tight as I can so no worries. Ill check the bolts after a week.
I hope you didn't really tighten them "as tight as I can". If you torqued them too much, that would be plenty cause for worries.
Old 10-29-07, 11:30 AM
is350matic
Pole Position

OK guys...what are the torque specs?

I'm about to lower my car and the boss car (brown nosing) this coming weekend and we went with Eibach springs.
Old 10-31-07, 07:15 PM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gernby
I hope you didn't really tighten them "as tight as I can". If you torqued them too much, that would be plenty cause for worries.
Dont scare me man!!! hahha . whats the tourqe specs then? plse help me out so i can tourqe then correctly
Old 11-01-07, 06:15 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know the specs. I suggest getting them from the Lexus tech site. It just costs $10 for 1 day's access.
Old 11-01-07, 09:50 AM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

The only pain in the *** thing I found was making sure the springs lined up correctly on the shock and upper cup so it will match up with the holes.

There is no way to install these without a spring compressor...the new springs are almost as long as the stock ones.

Bump stops on the IS are so small that cutting them in half is about 1" off.

Can anyone tell me what their alignment numbers are after lowering when the first put it on the lift before adjusting anything. I have not aligned my car yet. My cousin said that his car was still in spec when he took it for alignment.

Quick Reply: DIY...Lower Your ISx50