Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Disappointed in brakes on GS400!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-07, 01:12 PM
dino
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disappointed in brakes on GS400!

Okay, I have had my '99 GS400 for a year and a half now, and I can't get over how much the brakes suck. What's the point of having a 4.0 liter, 300 horsepower V8, when I can't stop for crap? Maybe it is just not sensitive enough. Who knows.

What bugs me more is that less than 6 months ago, I had the front rotors replaced with Brembos and had the pads changed to Toyota OEM's.

Anyone else feeling this problem? Or is it just me? Maybe I am disappointed compared to cars like BMWs or something, which have superb brakes that stop on a dime, factory.
Old 07-25-07, 01:20 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Actually the Lexus GS has the best brakes out of any car in it's class in its day. The braking performance is still better than alot of the mid size sedans even today. I believe it outclassed even the BMW 5 series by 10ft quicker stopping distance for the 60-0mph brake test. The GS has great brakes, but the problem is the pedal feel sucks. It's mushy and not very precise feeling so you really have to jam on the brakes to stop the car. If you jam down on the pedal, trust me the car will stop on a dime as well. On the BMW's they have a stiffer and firmer pedal so a light tap will do the trick. Go out to an empty street, gun it up to 60-80mph and slam on the brakes full force to a stop and tell me the brakes still suck
Old 07-25-07, 02:25 PM
Lexamatic
Pole Position

Just wondering why you would spend the coin for Brembo rotors and use stock pads. Try Axxis Ultimates. Organic OEM pads are not noted for fade resistance. The stock brake lines also can be an issue. Try Rotora or Goodridge coated SS lines. Hi perf brake fluid is also a good idea. Jeff's right though, the tested 60-0 stop distance in the 1998 C/D test was like 118ft. Not bad for a 3800lb. car.
Old 07-25-07, 02:27 PM
dino
Driver

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
The GS has great brakes, but the problem is the pedal feel sucks. It's mushy and not very precise feeling so you really have to jam on the brakes to stop the car. If you jam down on the pedal, trust me the car will stop on a dime as well. On the BMW's they have a stiffer and firmer pedal so a light tap will do the trick.
Actually, that sums up my problem. Because I did take it for a quick drive and it did stop. But yes, the pedal feels way too mushy.
Old 07-25-07, 02:53 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Actually the Lexus GS has the best brakes out of any car in it's class in its day. The braking performance is still better than alot of the mid size sedans even today. I believe it outclassed even the BMW 5 series by 10ft quicker stopping distance for the 60-0mph brake test. The GS has great brakes, but the problem is the pedal feel sucks. It's mushy and not very precise feeling so you really have to jam on the brakes to stop the car. If you jam down on the pedal, trust me the car will stop on a dime as well. On the BMW's they have a stiffer and firmer pedal so a light tap will do the trick. Go out to an empty street, gun it up to 60-80mph and slam on the brakes full force to a stop and tell me the brakes still suck
Old 07-25-07, 03:23 PM
Joelseff
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

To improve brake feel, wont the SS brake lines and hi perf brake fluid do the trick??? I dont think the rotors and pads change brake feel just efficiency, but whut do I know, I'm a Realtor not an engineer
Old 07-25-07, 03:33 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Dino, I actually upgraded my brake lines to stainless teflon lined sainless steel braided lines. It gets rid of a lot of the mushy and loose brake pedal feel. On my car, a tap on the brake pedal is enough to start slowing the car down. It's a great upgrade, it just takes some extra care and caution when installing to make sure the new lines don't rub against anything. Couple the stainless lines with some new rotors and good brake pads and you will improve the brake feel tremendously.

Also, it's not necessary to change to the high performance brake fluid unless you plan to take the car to the track and race around. If you were gonna goto a track then I'd recommend a full big brake system upgrade anyway since the stock brakes aren't gonna hold up too well after a few laps on the track.

Bottom line, for street driving and improoved brake feel...just go with the stainless lines. The slotted/vented rotors and better brake pads will help slightly with stopping distance and brake fade up to a certain point. Once again, upgrading the brake fluid is not necessary unless you're gonna take the car to race around on a track.

Last edited by JeffTsai; 07-25-07 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-25-07, 04:42 PM
LexFather

Jeff is preaching in this thread!!
Yeah, upgrade to quality pads, maybe stainless steel lines. Make sure all the air is pumped out of those hoses!! As stated high performance brake fluid is useless on the street. Its for track use, when temperatures get hot and keeps the fluid from boiling.

Make sure your rotors don't need surfacing.
Old 07-25-07, 08:03 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Jeff is preaching in this thread!!
Yeah, upgrade to quality pads, maybe stainless steel lines. Make sure all the air is pumped out of those hoses!! As stated high performance brake fluid is useless on the street. Its for track use, when temperatures get hot and keeps the fluid from boiling.

Make sure your rotors don't need surfacing.
Mike, can you find me the exact stopping distance for the GS because I need it for some comparison test.
Old 07-25-07, 08:14 PM
DJC
Rookie

IMHO the Stainless Steel lines make the biggest difference, although I also have the Brembo Cross Drilled rotors. I recently drove a stock '01 GS430 back to back with my own and forgot how mushy the brakes were. Make sure to bleed the lines after install.

Cheers,
DJC
Old 07-25-07, 08:36 PM
94gsr-t
Driver

After reading this thread I'm gonna pick up some ss brake lines
Old 07-31-07, 01:37 PM
David1969
Pole Position

I think what Dino is referring to is the "feel" of the brake pedal as it's harder than most other cars. By that, i mean there is a lack of brake boost the system has so the pedal feels harder (when you press them, the car doesn't respond quickly - kinda feels like the stock brakes are trying to stop a 5k pound vehicle). The reviews on the 98 GS showed some reviewers talking about this. I found this out while researching the specifics of the car before purchasing it. The brakes are harder to use when trying to make a smooth stop. You really have to plan ahead....especially if you're planning on taking a curve too fast or you're late breaking coming up on to a stop sign or the like without upgraded brakes.
Old 07-31-07, 01:47 PM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

i upgraded to supra calipers n rotor with hawk pads and the SS lines and i still after 2 yrs of having them still get "WOW" from ppl n comments on them and they feel great
Old 08-01-07, 11:09 AM
Billcifer
Driver School Candidate

my 98 gs4 has the Supra calipers on them already from when I recently purchased. (kinda wonder if it is a memebers old car?????) and I am not sure what part numbers I need for rotors, fit kit and shim kit. I llooked at some threads. The brakes are ok but have a slight mushyness and space from time I put my foot on to the point of feeling the stop. does not feel right. can you guys help me with part numbers for what I need?
Old 08-01-07, 11:22 AM
Rare1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 94gsr-t
After reading this thread I'm gonna pick up some ss brake lines
Yeah i would definately agree with the SS brake lines. They are gonna definately give you a firmer pedal feel for the brakes. But just to be sure make sure you have checked the simple stuff: air in brake line, brake fluid. Either way you can't go wrong with the SS lines.

Quick Reply: Disappointed in brakes on GS400!