Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

TRD Sway Bars installation / cost / tips

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-07, 12:48 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default TRD Sway Bars installation / cost / tips

Hello guys.

Since there are some group buys, I'm sure many people got the TRD sway bars for their 2GS. Just wanna sum up some info for the installation.

Q: How straight forward is the installation? Are there lots of things that need to be removed in order to access the sways?

Q: What is reasonable labor cost for installing 2 sway bars?

I also noticed some old threads mentioning that the front sways might be installed backwards, and that it will rub against the speed sensor, damaging it. Just want to give people some heads up.
Old 07-06-07, 05:55 AM
DCMango
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The installation is very easy, the swaybars goes right back onto the stock location and there should be no complications.

According to ALLDATA, it's rated at 0.8 hours per swaybar.
Old 07-06-07, 08:48 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DCMango
The installation is very easy, the swaybars goes right back onto the stock location and there should be no complications.

According to ALLDATA, it's rated at 0.8 hours per swaybar.
Thanks mango,

Every car is different, but are there any parts like the chassis brace or under panel that needs to be taken off for the installation? Seems like the mufflers must be off for the rear right?
Old 07-06-07, 09:15 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

installation is very easy and straight forward, as long as you can jack up the car it should be 1 hour or so for installation by pro
Old 07-06-07, 09:24 AM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver

Got quoted $150 for installation
Old 07-06-07, 09:33 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

My brother just had his TRD swaybar set-up installed about two weeks ago. I'll ask him for his impressions on the install when I get a chance.

Here's a pic of the front swaybar looking down from the engine bay

Old 07-06-07, 09:39 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

sway bar installation is easy. At least with the TRD, you dont have to flip around the endlinks like the daizen bar.

The front bar will be more of a pain because its quite heavier than the rear. Have someone help u with the front. It makes the job much faster/easier.
Old 07-06-07, 10:47 AM
LexFather

I saw VVTi do mine in like 5 min...I was like "damn"...lol..

It did help it was jacked up on the Lexus ramp, he walked right under the car and did it....

I think its tougher on a jack stand or so...
Old 07-06-07, 04:20 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I saw VVTi do mine in like 5 min...I was like "damn"...lol..

It did help it was jacked up on the Lexus ramp, he walked right under the car and did it....

I think its tougher on a jack stand or so...
My bro and I will attempt to install them tomororw morning. We have 4 jack stands, and my bro removed his whole exhaust manifold off his WRX with those jack stands, so we'll give it a shot.

Where can I find some removal diagrams for the sway bars? It will be much easier if there's something to look at
Old 07-06-07, 06:44 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by GlobeCLK
My bro and I will attempt to install them tomororw morning. We have 4 jack stands, and my bro removed his whole exhaust manifold off his WRX with those jack stands, so we'll give it a shot.

Where can I find some removal diagrams for the sway bars? It will be much easier if there's something to look at
GL bro.. Maybe you can take some step by step pics..
Old 07-06-07, 08:44 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tmf2004
GL bro.. Maybe you can take some step by step pics..
Yea it might be a good idea to do that. I will get my DC back from my GF's house tomorrow morning before I start
Old 07-06-07, 09:29 PM
DCMango
Lead Lap

Here, hope this helps.

Old 07-06-07, 11:45 PM
jlee804
Rookie

I am a DIY kind of person. It was not that hard just time consuming. Jack up the car. For the fronts you have to take off the plastic valance and side supports. remove the sway bar mounts and end link nuts. just be careful of the wheel sensors. remove the sway bar. the trd sway bar is considerably heavier, so it is a balancing act to install the bar. for the rear the mufflers can stay on. if you have a tom's 6 link rear end then it will have to be removed first. i tried to work around it and it did not work, so i removed it and the rear sway installation was a breeze.
Old 07-07-07, 12:23 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DCMango
Here, hope this helps.

Hello Mango,

the pics are not showing up for some reason. Maybe I need to log in or something?

Originally Posted by jlee804
I am a DIY kind of person. It was not that hard just time consuming. Jack up the car. For the fronts you have to take off the plastic valance and side supports. remove the sway bar mounts and end link nuts. just be careful of the wheel sensors. remove the sway bar. the trd sway bar is considerably heavier, so it is a balancing act to install the bar. for the rear the mufflers can stay on. if you have a tom's 6 link rear end then it will have to be removed first. i tried to work around it and it did not work, so i removed it and the rear sway installation was a breeze.
Thanks for your help man. I think i'm going to do this TONIGHT! (12:30am now). See if I can do it in a few hours, if not I'll wake up and do the rest tomorrow. (it's nice and cool now)
Old 07-07-07, 03:55 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

guys.

I JUST FINISHED INSTALLING THE SWAY BARS.

It's now about 4am. I started around 2:00am, and finished around 3:45am. Took me and my bro 1 hr. 45 min.

Pretty tired now. No time to test drive. I took plenty of pictures, will do a write up tomorrow.

thanks to everyone's help and advices. They really helped. Boy, the front was easy but time-consuming, the rear was a short task but very tricky!

Quick Reply: TRD Sway Bars installation / cost / tips