Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

SUPRA rear subframe into a SC?? WILL it WORK?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-08, 08:33 PM
High PSI
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Leexus
Is this what you guys are talking about?
Yep - that would be it.
Old 07-28-08, 09:03 PM
High PSI
Advanced

Scott,

Checked out your thread - awesome job! Way to give back to the SC community...

One question - did you note whether or not the upper control arms differed at all? I wouldn't be surprised if the Supra had stiffer bushings...but besides that, did you note whether or not they were geometrically identical?
Old 07-29-08, 04:21 AM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by High PSI
Scott,

Checked out your thread - awesome job! Way to give back to the SC community...

One question - did you note whether or not the upper control arms differed at all? I wouldn't be surprised if the Supra had stiffer bushings...but besides that, did you note whether or not they were geometrically identical?
Thanks!
Geometrically they are the same, infact I think they are the same bushings. I cant say 100% sure on the bushings but nothing noticable.
Old 07-29-08, 07:24 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

Nasty dirty pic.
https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...0&ppuser=13123

Supra upper arms are aluminum, can't remember what the SC's are.
The SC is basically a NA Supra. TT front suspension is def beefier.
Also you get the TT rear sway bar mounts for free.
Old 07-29-08, 08:17 PM
High PSI
Advanced

Originally Posted by Supra Dr
Nasty dirty pic.
https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...0&ppuser=13123

Supra upper arms are aluminum, can't remember what the SC's are.
The SC is basically a NA Supra. TT front suspension is def beefier.
Also you get the TT rear sway bar mounts for free.
Pretty sure the upper SC arms are aluminum too. From those pics, looks like the TT rear subframe might also interfere less with a larger custom exhaust, since the lower suspension arms connect to the subframe further towards the wheel (meaning that the exhaust can run beneath the subframe without fear of hitting the lower arm).

However - you mention "The SC is basically a NA Supra". With the front suspension, this might be true, but the rear NA Supra suspension is much more closely related to the TT rear than the NA rear. In fact, with the exception of the diff, axles, struts, and springs, I believe it's identical.
Old 07-30-08, 01:40 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

upper rear CA are Al.

the supra rear LCA are shorter thus this effects the motion ratio of the suspension. the lever, aka the control arm, is shorter thus it has less force to push on the suspension.

all things the same, if you have the same spring rate on the sc and supra subframes the SC will feel softer because the control arm is longer and can exert more force on the spring with less effort.

the supra control arm being shorter will need to exert more force on the shock for the same amount of travel. the same spring rate in the rear with the diff length CA will cause the suspension with shorter arms will feel stiffer.

if you convert to supra subframe you will need to get softer springs in order for it to feel the same way as the SC subframe with longer CA and stiffer spring rates.

as an example: if you get supra coilovers that are rated at 12K rear. it will not feel nor move/displace the same on an SC. it will feel softer and you will probably need to bump up the spring rate to something like 13k to compensate.

there are plenty of motion ratio calculators online. motion ratio is the ration of the amount the control arm moves vs. how much the suspension displaces. if you have a motion ratio of 1 that means that for every inch of control arm motion you have 1 " of suspension displacement.

if the shock mount in the exact middle of the control arm then the motion ration is 2. that means for the given corner weight of the car the spring rate has to be double because the level acting on the spring will move twice as much as the suspension displacement.

to measure the motion ratio, measure the total length of the lower control arm from the ball joint mount to the other end where it mounts to the chassis. then measure the distace from the bushing to the shock mount on the CA. divide total length by length to the shock mount. you will get the motion ratio. when you get your car corner weighed, calculate the proper spring rate and multiply it by the motion ratio.

it is more complicated then this but its some of the basics.
Old 07-30-08, 02:24 PM
rollexus
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scott I know you are looking at this thread, I am having problems with my account can you email me. Rollexus_400@hotmail.com. I want to talk to you about 6 speed Getrag in 95 SC PLEASE
Old 08-05-08, 11:01 AM
SolTrain99
Pit Crew

Default Sway Bar Swap from SUPAR TT to SC300

I'm in the middle of doing my Supra Sway Bar Swap. It's a real pain if you're on your back trying to do this. This helped me, maybe it can help others...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...7&d=1215546707

Last edited by SolTrain99; 08-05-08 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-22-19, 11:52 PM
Pier
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
upper rear CA are Al.

the supra rear LCA are shorter thus this effects the motion ratio of the suspension. the lever, aka the control arm, is shorter thus it has less force to push on the suspension.

all things the same, if you have the same spring rate on the sc and supra subframes the SC will feel softer because the control arm is longer and can exert more force on the spring with less effort.

the supra control arm being shorter will need to exert more force on the shock for the same amount of travel. the same spring rate in the rear with the diff length CA will cause the suspension with shorter arms will feel stiffer.

if you convert to supra subframe you will need to get softer springs in order for it to feel the same way as the SC subframe with longer CA and stiffer spring rates.

as an example: if you get supra coilovers that are rated at 12K rear. it will not feel nor move/displace the same on an SC. it will feel softer and you will probably need to bump up the spring rate to something like 13k to compensate.

there are plenty of motion ratio calculators online. motion ratio is the ration of the amount the control arm moves vs. how much the suspension displaces. if you have a motion ratio of 1 that means that for every inch of control arm motion you have 1 " of suspension displacement.

if the shock mount in the exact middle of the control arm then the motion ration is 2. that means for the given corner weight of the car the spring rate has to be double because the level acting on the spring will move twice as much as the suspension displacement.

to measure the motion ratio, measure the total length of the lower control arm from the ball joint mount to the other end where it mounts to the chassis. then measure the distace from the bushing to the shock mount on the CA. divide total length by length to the shock mount. you will get the motion ratio. when you get your car corner weighed, calculate the proper spring rate and multiply it by the motion ratio.

it is more complicated then this but its some of the basics.
im going to build an SC400 for Drifting, find suspension system for Supra that works on front of Soarer but not in the rear. Following this discussion do you guys think is worth swap the Supra subframe on SC to be able to get a rear suspensions kit?
Old 03-22-21, 07:04 PM
suprawhite
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Okay, I've been posting on the wrong section. Anyhow, I have a spare set of front and rear sway bars from my 93 Supra TT when I upgraded to TRD. I recently purchased 99 Lexus SC 300 and want to upgrade it to the Supra TT sway bars. Based on this forum information, the front is a straight forward swap, but the rear require the Supra subframe or something like that. Can anyone educate what is needed to do the rear sway bar upgrade. Thank you in advance.