Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

replaced rotors, brake lines and pads. Now grinding noise.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-07, 09:37 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default replaced rotors, brake lines and pads. Now grinding noise.....

My friend and I replaced my pads, rotors and brake lines today. We replaced with cross-drilled rotors, goodridge ss lines and PBS brake pads. We bled brakes and all seemed to be fine except for a SCRAPING/GRINDING noise from the driver rear wheel. It sounds like a METAL SCRAPING ON ANOTHER METAL.
I took it for test-drives to detect the culprit behind this unwanted noise and realised it only happens when i am turning to the right.
For instance, if i go in circles steering towards the left side, all is calm, but if i go in circles steering towards the right, the grinding/scraping noise is there.
it is loud and noticeable when turning. it does not happen when driving straight. Only when turning right. we took the wheel off to inspect bolts rotors etc and all seemed fine but noise was still there. Anyone had any experience with this?
Any advice is appreciated.
thanks
olddog
Old 06-07-07, 10:10 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

check the brake dust shield. make sure it's clearing the rotor. take off ur wheel, lock the wheel to the right. see if anything is hitting. if it's rubbing, there shd be some clear indicators of it, like scrape marks.
Old 06-08-07, 04:03 AM
DjFergi
Lexus Test Driver

I had the same issue when I replaced the OEM rotors.
Take a look at the backing plate behind the rotor. It is black in color and has a very small lip.

Flip your rotor around and look at the rotor hat. You should see a mark ground into the back of the rotor hat.

This is your grinding noise. To remedy it, you can remove that little backing plate or take a grinder and remove a few MM of the edge on the front of the lip on the backing plate.

I had to this this on both rear backing plates. No problems since.
Old 06-08-07, 05:28 AM
olddog
Pole Position

Default hey

Originally Posted by DjFergi
Take a look at the backing plate behind the rotor. It is black in color and has a very small lip.

Flip your rotor around and look at the rotor hat. You should see a mark ground into the back of the rotor hat.

This is your grinding noise. To remedy it, you can remove that little backing plate or take a grinder and remove a few MM of the edge on the front of the lip on the backing plate.

are you talking about the brake dust shield?
thanks
olddog
Old 06-08-07, 06:01 AM
DjFergi
Lexus Test Driver

Nope. It's actually right in front of the dust shield. It looks like a pie tin.
If you look at the drivers side rear hub, look at the e-brake. The "pie tin" backing plate is right behind the e-brake.

-Fernando
Old 06-11-07, 09:42 AM
JLAM
Pole Position

I had the same problem with aftermarket rotors. But noise is gone now.
Old 06-11-07, 09:52 AM
olddog
Pole Position

i coulnt wait till tuesday so i took it to one of my local mechanics. while website were driving around and trying to duplicate the problem, we noticed nothing and it seemed to be gone.
Old 06-11-07, 10:20 AM
magnetik
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pads broke in?
Old 06-11-07, 12:52 PM
olddog
Pole Position

dont know but its gone
i still have a a clunk sound which i described in my other thread though.
Old 06-11-07, 04:57 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Olddog - did you re-use your existing shims from your old pads or did your new ones come with them? If you re-used your old shims I suggest a shim kit. My brakes still to this day make the same noise as you describe ( I re-used my shims from my old pads when I changed them about 2 yrs ago). I didn't change my brakes as of yet so I will fix the problem at the same time of the brake job. From what I understand MOST squeeking, squeeling, screetching and clunking all come from where the caliper pistons come into contact with the shims on the back of the pads...this is the key area to address.
Old 06-11-07, 06:38 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you had to do this with oem brembo replacements? that sucks because I was about to buy them but I don't want to deal with that...
Old 06-12-07, 05:03 AM
DjFergi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chuckb
you had to do this with oem brembo replacements? that sucks because I was about to buy them but I don't want to deal with that...
Yup I did. It was a PITA.
Old 06-12-07, 05:19 AM
eman88
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm getting the same noise.....going to take it apart and grind down that metal piece, that noise is annoying
Old 06-12-07, 08:32 AM
olddog
Pole Position

the noise has been gone for a few days.
i have to admit, i thought my brakes were totally gone. (believe me they were soft and i thought thats how they were built). i never fully believed in the ss brake lines everytime i read about about them and am not totally sure if it deserves all the glory but upon installation of the goodridge ss lines, new scross-drilled rotors and pads,followed by some bleeding, my brakes are very much better.
not just a hard feel like most say but ,totally crisp, better stopping. nice feel.
Old 06-12-07, 01:28 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup I did. It was a PITA.
no probs with the front brembos?

Quick Reply: replaced rotors, brake lines and pads. Now grinding noise.....