Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Will Supra TT Springs Work?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-07, 08:17 AM
minnyminh
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Will Supra TT Springs Work?

Does anyone know if Supra TT lowering springs work on stock SC shocks?
Old 04-25-07, 08:24 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would recommend you use the proper shock with its corresponding spring.

ie: A shock made for the height of the spring.

Mismatching results in less than optimum performance.
Old 04-27-07, 05:47 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

any shock made for the jza80 mk4 supra will work but as mkorsu said. match your suspension. dont just throw on a set of lowering springs on stock shocks. when you do that you will have a car that rides more on the shocks and the shock will wear out and faster.

i have a set of Tokico HP and Eibach springs and it works great so far. still coilovers would be best choice. if you have the money go with Stance. Tein sucks compared to Stance...at least for the 240 crowd.
Old 04-27-07, 09:45 PM
Deceptik1
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If you plan on getting Supra springs you have to make sure to use Supra struts for the rear so might as well get all four replacement supra struts for the springs.
Old 04-28-07, 05:00 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Deceptik1
If you plan on getting Supra springs you have to make sure to use Supra struts for the rear so might as well get all four replacement supra struts for the springs.
the rear shocks for the TT and the rear shocks for the SC look NOTHING alike. The spring floor on the SC shocks is significantly larger is diameter. I would struggle to see how TT springs would make it onto SC rear shocks.

the front shocks look similar, but the length of the shock is different. The Supra sits a good half of an inch lower (this is true in the rear as well). This would mean your stock front shocks would wear down very fast as a result of being under load always, whereas the TT shocks would sit more normally. As a result of this, the Supra shocks also lower the SC about 0.5" more than the advertised drop for the Supra. If the Supra springs advertise a 1" drop, expect to get ~1.5" of a drop on your SC.

Even if you want to drop the car using lowering springs for the SC, it is suggested to use something other than OEM shocks because the OEM product is not built to act for an extensive amount of time with such low suspension travel. On the other hand, aftermarket products from Tokico, KYB, and Bilstein are built with this exact purpose in mind.
Old 04-28-07, 05:11 AM
angyll20
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only way to use supra springs on sc struts(for the rear) is the change the spring perch. Supra lowering springs sitting on top of sc struts will not seat right and will generally raise the car in the rear.
Old 04-28-07, 07:43 AM
Deceptik1
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTEIf you plan on getting Supra springs you have to make sure to use Supra struts for the rear so might as well get all four replacement supra struts for the springs.
QUOTE]

Isn't that's what I just said? I've had supra kyb agx and supra tt eibachs on my car ever since 2002. Supra NA springs will bring you down even lower than the TT's will. If its lowest height and comfort you're going for then I would just get Espiler's and new shocks and call it a day since they lower the car just as much.

Last edited by Deceptik1; 04-28-07 at 07:51 AM.
Old 05-02-07, 05:38 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I wouldn't recommend using Supra Spring/Shock combo on the sc400.

It's a much heavier car for one. Their weak on a Supra which is what? like 400-600 pounds lighter than a sc400.

The ride height is decent and the price for a used spring/shock setup is cheap but it's no good. The car needs much, much stiffer springs than stock supra tt has to offer.

I have stock supra springs and koni's and my koni's are getting worn out.

I'd like to find stock ride height supra tt springs with much higher spring rates.
Anyone know of any available?

I'll probably just get megans in a few months however.