Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Oops...dropped the coilovers too low

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-07, 06:22 AM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Exclamation Oops...dropped the coilovers too low

When I first installed the coilovers 3 weeks ago I left them at roughly five/four threads, depending on if you count the bottom crap. Well the back is fine but I wanted to drop the front some more. Well I decide to drop down to two threads in the front. When moving the rings about three threads down to two I noticed the spring can wiggle around. It seems normal considering the design but how can I drop another thread of so without having to hold the spring centered until weight is put back on it?
Old 04-14-07, 06:25 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexbox
When I first installed the coilovers 3 weeks ago I left them at roughly five/four threads, depending on if you count the bottom crap. Well the back is fine but I wanted to drop the front some more. Well I decide to drop down to two threads in the front. When moving the rings about three threads down to two I noticed the spring can wiggle around. It seems normal considering the design but how can I drop another thread of so without having to hold the spring centered until weight is put back on it?
Which set of coilovers do you have? If it's a 2 piece design like the Flex, then you should be lowering the bottom housing before messing with the preload settings.
Old 04-14-07, 04:58 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Which set of coilovers do you have? If it's a 2 piece design like the Flex, then you should be lowering the bottom housing before messing with the preload settings.
Tein CS v2. Whats a preload setting? Im running two clicks in the front and four in the rear.
Old 04-14-07, 09:41 PM
o2GS43o
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't dropped mines that much so i don't know if the springs move when you try to drop it all the way, i think i'll try tomorrow just for kicks before i get my alignment...
Old 04-15-07, 12:29 PM
AUGuy21
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re:

Lexbox,

Where in Auburn did you get your Tein's installed?

Originally Posted by Lexbox
Tein CS v2. Whats a preload setting? Im running two clicks in the front and four in the rear.
Old 04-16-07, 12:11 AM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

I had my brother in law do them at his shop. Took him maybe two hours total. I paid him $300 for his time. If you are interested let me know. Although I had them installed in Mobile and not Auburn.
Old 04-16-07, 12:38 AM
suprandsc
Lead Lap

I've done it on my supra and i know what you mean. but I didn't pay attention to centering the spring, i just dropped to 2threads(the springs had play a lil before that) and just dropped the car and seems fine.

hope this helps
Old 04-16-07, 03:35 PM
o2GS43o
Lead Lap

I'm about 3 threads from the bottom and there is a little bit of play, i presume this is normal as everyone is like that...
Old 04-17-07, 08:34 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Can the spring be rotated or does it need to stay in a certain position. I think I may have rotated it from where it came factory. If lowering it below two threads and having the spring wiggle around, does it not matter that there is roughly 1/4 inch of play and to hold it center is while it being lowered lowered? Basically... Im freaking out because I want to go lower and I want to make 200% sure.
Old 04-18-07, 12:18 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Also, if the spring is able to flop around that would mean that I am riding more on the shock than I am on the spring right? I know when the weight is put on it it will be sitting on the spring though. If Im set to full stiff on the shock would that essentially "strip" it? What if I hit a big bump or kind of ramp something will the spring move again?

Last edited by Lexbox; 04-18-07 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-20-07, 02:20 AM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Loose spring at full extension is not a huge deal, as you wont have the car sitting with the shock in that position (unless you've run off the road and have your car laying on its side, at which point you have some other more serious problems!)

The spring clocking position is also for the most part irrelevant, as it is a straight spring, with a square seat.

The springs will slide down and sit in place properly pretty much automatically. If you look there is a sort of bevel on the way towards the seat area. They will center themselves. if they don't, the worst is they will slightly catch on the bevel lip, but then slip off and go back into place anyways. In some cases you will hear this sort of loudly slip off and into place once you get most of the weight on them, but this is nothing to be alarmed about. A scary bang or smack noise, but no big deal.

I actually like to drop the car down with the jack a little on the fast side so they sit down properly in one burst, instead of getting hung up (as when you let it down really slowly).

Hope this helps, let me know if you have more questions!

TM Engineering
Old 04-20-07, 02:09 PM
samster
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i've get a smackin noise in my front coilovers if i hit a bump or if the spring doesnt sit correctly, but the spring rotates when theirs no force to hold them up when the coilovers setted as low as it goes, but once the car is sittin on the floor once u drive the springs should fall back in place. only time would they shift is if u hit a craz pot hole and have ur car bounce higher then the length of that tiny spring. shouldn't be a problem but if u go that low ehh i would worry bout other things like the exhaust and oil paint crossmember.