Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

rotor moves?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-07, 08:49 PM
510alex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rotor moves?

i just noticed that when i take my front wheels off the rotors can rock back and forth like theres nothing holding it down besides the brake caliper. is this normal? or is something totally wrong with my car?
Old 03-28-07, 09:59 PM
DoingDamag
Driver

Nothing is wrong. Its there by design.

Check this link: http://www.carbibles.com/brake_bible.html

And, I'll quote

The floating rotor.
Standard brake rotors are cast in a single piece which bolts directly to the wheel or drive plate. If the mounting surface of your wheel or drive plate isn't perfectly flat, you'll get vibration at speed. Floating rotors are typically cast in two pieces - the rotor and the carrier. The carrier is bolted to the wheel and the rotor is attached to the carrier using float buttons. The other method of floating a brake rotor is to have the rotor bolted directly to the wheel itself without a carrier, but the bolts have float buttons built into them.
floating disc brake

These buttons allow the brake rotor some freedom to move laterally, but restrict the angular and rotational movement as if they were bolted directly to the wheel. This slight lateral motion which can be less than 0.03mm, is just enough to prevent vibration in the brake system. Because the calipers are mounted solidly, and warping or misalignment in the wheel or brake rotor mounting face can be compensated for because the rotor will "float" laterally on the float buttons. This side-to-side vibration is separated from the carrier by the float buttons themselves, so none of the resulting motion is transferred into the suspension or steering. Clever eh? The rendering below shows an extreme close-up of the brake disc shown above. I've rendered the components slightly transparent so you can see what's going on.
Old 03-29-07, 11:17 AM
narfy
Lead Lap

nothing is wrong with your car... your WHEEL holds your rotor on...
Old 03-29-07, 08:33 PM
Tank
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

nothing wrong with your car, your lug nuts hold your rotor in place..
Old 03-29-07, 09:54 PM
510alex
Driver School Candidate

thanks its good to have guys with experience, ive owned mine for 3 1/2 years now and i dont know squat about my car. now its time to fix my loose steering problem.