Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Another member looking for suspension advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-07, 05:16 PM
movinquick
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another member looking for suspension advice

scenario:
i've been reading about the 2nd gen gs suspension for a while now. i was wondering if you can help me. currently i have my car dropped with tein flex on stock 17s. i also have a crazy vibration at 60mph.

questions:
1. i am unhappy with the ride quality of the tein flex's (too rough) but i like the drop it gives me. i would like the softest ride i can get with my current drop. i'm more concerned with comfort rather than handling since i'm a slow daily driver. i'm looking into purchasing the tein cs v2 but i am worried that the cs's won't give me the drop i want. my question is how can i measure how low my car is currently dropped? is there a standard measurement? I want to see if the cs’s can drop as low as the flex’s are now.

2. as for the vibration and steering, i have decided to replace the lower ball joints along with the steering rack bushings and installing new oem control arm bushings. i read about changing the outer tie rods, what does that do?

3. can someone tell me what toms 6 links and toms lower bracing are and what they do?

4. is there anything else i can do to increase the comfort of my car?

Thanks.
Old 02-15-07, 11:30 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

make sure that your alignment is correct or as close to specs and your wheels correctly balanced.
Old 02-18-07, 08:46 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by movinquick
questions:
1. i am unhappy with the ride quality of the tein flex's (too rough) but i like the drop it gives me. i would like the softest ride i can get with my current drop. i'm more concerned with comfort rather than handling since i'm a slow daily driver. i'm looking into purchasing the tein cs v2 but i am worried that the cs's won't give me the drop i want. my question is how can i measure how low my car is currently dropped? is there a standard measurement? I want to see if the cs’s can drop as low as the flex’s are now.
The max the flex will allow you to drop is 3.7"/3.5" (F/R). The CSv2 will allow a maximum drop of 2.3"/2.2" (F/R). Without knowing how low your current setting it, it's hard to tell how low the CSv2 will drop relative to what you have now.

2. as for the vibration and steering, i have decided to replace the lower ball joints along with the steering rack bushings and installing new oem control arm bushings. i read about changing the outer tie rods, what does that do?
The outer tie rods connects to the inner tie rod and the balljoint. It's there for steering, but it probably wont be the source of vibration. Before you go get all those things replaced, get your tire balanced first, preferrably with a Hunter standard balancing for now. That was my problem, even after changing the balljoints. I almost went with the daizen bushings because I had a vibration, but it turns out to be the case of balancing. It's only until you do this, then you should look into your suspension. The steering rack bushing will most likely help since the rack is probably moving quite a bit. The balljoints should be replaced regardless if you have vibration or not. There are too many horror stories on here about how balljoints break off. The only thing I would hold off on doing is the control arms. The tie-rods you can change if you want, but they dont go bad like the balljoints. But since it's cheap and the installation is easy, you might as well get it done. But remember, you'll have to do an alignment afterwards.

3. can someone tell me what toms 6 links and toms lower bracing are and what they do?
The links connects the frame to the body. Our chassis are not build like the BMW 3-series where its stiff. Our body flexes on turns. Doing the 6-link mod will stabilize the body, resulting in a more predictable handling. The same goes with the lower bracing. They all try to stabilize the chassis, but in different locations.

4. is there anything else i can do to increase the comfort of my car?

Thanks.
Other than suspension, the tires you have will be a big factor in comfort. I ditched by front OEM bridgestone for some Falken FK452 and the right was smooothhherrr and quieter. GS3tek knew I had a complaint about my ride because I told him my L-tuned suspension was a bit rough, hence why I met up with him to try out the tein CS (v1). I almost dropped $1000 into coilovers just to make the ride smoother. One day I decided to change out my front tires because it was wearing down to its last rubber tread. That fixed basically all the problems I had. The car was smooth again (i still have OEM bridgestones in the back) and my steering stopped going back and forth over uneven road, and my steering vibration is GONE!

I do not know the condition of your car; therefore, I can't tell you exactly what to do. I can only share my experience in hopes that you may have a similar delimma.
Old 02-18-07, 11:35 AM
movinquick
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the detailed reply.

how can i determine how low my car is dropped now? is there some place i should put a ruler to measure?

i think the cs's should be good, my car isn't dropped that low.
Old 02-18-07, 03:37 PM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

another route is the tein ss look those up... thats what i have... but your in NY im in Florida. im from brooklyn i feel your pain.