Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake System/ABS meltdown!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-07, 12:02 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Go to a different dealer. The brake booster is $1300 (MSRP). $1800 for the part is wayyyyy too much. In fact, you can probably get carson to hook you up.
Old 10-29-07, 12:25 PM
nytoy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem, minus the lights. I can hear the pump running randomly, and get fluid leaks. The ABS pump itself is $1000 from Sewell Lexus parts. Does anyone know a good lexus junkyard? I was unable to find any on ebay.
Old 10-29-07, 12:34 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

nytoy, if you do not have any lights, and the brake feels fine, then you're okay. Occassionally the ABS motor runs, which is completely normal on our car. As for the leaks, where is it leaking from?
Old 10-29-07, 04:13 PM
VNN326
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tobygh67
these warning lights come on: Brake, VSC, ABS, VSC/off.
uggggh im getting almost the same warning lights when i drive but i dont get the beeping and Break light. i feel your painnnnn.
Old 10-29-07, 09:08 PM
KRGS4
Driver

Default Brake Booster?

I had the :

"VSC, ABS, VSC off" lights on my GS400

in July of this year. Lexus ran the codes and replaced the Rear Speed Sensor
It was about $260-280ish out the door.
Old 11-01-07, 09:18 PM
brian1258
Driver School Candidate

I thought it was only me with this problem, yea change gotta change the abs pump unit, gonna cost a fortune!
Old 11-02-07, 12:57 PM
brian1258
Driver School Candidate

Found a ABS unit for 350.00, anybody could change it for me for price?? or know any shop cheap cost with good work?
Old 11-02-07, 08:22 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speaking about brakes and noises. My car sometimes when I press the brake or release it, I hear like a screaching sound coming from the Master Cylinder area for like 2 seconds. I dont have any warning lights on and brakes feel fine. Dont know what it coudl be.
Old 01-09-08, 10:39 AM
edro925
Rookie

Mine just resently start doing it. Something under the dash start screaming and its not the normal sound of the abs system check. The lights and that chime & the lights went on for a second while i was exiting and i got spooked. After the lights came off though then the screaming noise went away. So we'll see what happens next.
Old 01-09-08, 05:14 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

I've been driving like this for 'bout a year (just codes and no buzzer). I also had a front abs sensor code. I brought the car to the dealer and they told me I need to replace the master cylinder and front right wheel abs sensor. I had just put in a set of tein cs coilovers, and I might of stretched or broken the wires. I opened up the abs wires next to where I was working, and found out I broke the wire. I then repaired the wire and was good to go. About 1 month later my trac, vsc , vsc off light went on again, I got the codes checked again and they said "brake booster". They cleared the codes and I noticed my car had a lot more effort to stop than my friends 2002 gs 300. I am pretty sure I need the brake booster but I don't really drive the car that much, so I really can't be for sure. I am just thinking that it is a sensor, rather than the whole unit. There is such a thing as "soft code" or "hard code" , the soft code will reset if the tech clears the ecm. The
The hard codes will pop back up. I 'll keep u posted ,as I am still trying to figure thing out.
Old 01-09-08, 06:57 PM
magnetik
Pole Position

does it sound like a crazy screeching birdcall kind of sound?
Old 01-10-08, 06:26 PM
MJImport
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had a similar problem on my last ride (Acura RL) and it was the abs module and needed replaced, costing about 1000 bucks not including labor. My brother mentioned a company that rebuilds the module for like 200 bucks and they do it within a week. modulemaster.com, looks like you might have to call and see if they do Toyota/Lexus modules.
Old 02-14-08, 01:44 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Replaced same Prob 3 yrs ago

I had this same problem about 3 yrs ago.

First it started with all 4 lights coming on: ABS, BRAKE, VSC and VSC OFF, and a loud screaching brid horrible sound.

This happened once or twice over the next 6 months....then....one night on a road trip it happens on a dark road 50 miles from the nearest town...but something much worse also happened...I was traveling up, and down hills on a curvy road...and the Power brakes completely went out....they came back on in about 5 minutes after turnign the car off and cleaning out my shorts!

To make a long story short....2 Lexus Dealers here in AZ could NOT diagnose the problem...they simply wanted me to pay $2K to replace the master cylinder, and they would NOT guarantee that would 100% solve the problem.

I did some research and discovered it has something to do with the hydraulic pump on the master cylinder loosing presure...there apparently is a motor which pumps the power booster full...there is a seal which leaks the presure from the power booster, and sets off the alarm.

The power booster is removable, but not REPLACABLE....LEXUS decided to NOT make the booster a seperate part...but will only sell the booster along with the Master Cylinder and ABS/VCS control valve body.

I dont have many gripes with Lexus...but this is a severe defect of a critical system which should NEVER die at 100K (mine died at 110K), and Lexus bends you over backward to fix a problem on a part that shouldnt even go bad, unless its a Ford :-)

Anyways everyone, you can find the Master Cylninder assemblies used and replace it yourself, or Pay Lexus to do it...but dont drive too long because the power brakes WILL go out, and its a heavy car to stop by pressing on that brake pedal!
Old 02-15-08, 08:27 PM
pearlex
Driver School Candidate

I have a 99 Gs300 the breaks just went out, the ABS,VSC ect....... light all on. the breaks are hard to press or stop. I had a mech look @ it & he said something about an accuator pressure code? not sure on spelling,,Dose any 1 know what to do????
Old 02-16-08, 02:21 PM
Raph TT
Pole Position

ehm..as far as i know,the accumulator8the part u guys are talking about) is available separatley from TOYOTA ,as this brake set up was used in JDM aristos from 1991 onwards,and in JDM Soarers from 91 as well(SC300/400)

go check out the bristish TIF forums+ british soarer forums, you will find the part number there.

Quick Reply: Brake System/ABS meltdown!!