Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Soft Lexus quailty ride with handling to match???

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-06, 05:57 AM
skeet94
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft Lexus quailty ride with handling to match???

Hey everybody,

After reading through the TRD & Daizen thread on this same section of the forum. I was wondering, what would be the best combination of suspension and bracing to retain that "smooth" Lexus ride quality, yet be able to have fun in the twisties whilst showing BMW's and other sport sedans a thing or two?

Currently I've only got stock suspension, which I'm looking at having sorted out (hence the question) and the TRD Front Strut Brace.

I'm picking up a set of Toms 6 links from the GB as soon as funds permit (24th December), rear Cusco strut brace and TOM's Lower Bracing (Front & Rear).

Now as I understand it sways and the coilovers play a big part in the "comfort" of a particular suspension setup. Where the braces just make the car much more "stable" after a "bump" and less flex in turns.

Which sways (Daizen or TRD) and Coilover setup should be matched together to retain the ride quality yet be able to outdo cars in the twisties with adequate ease? I know the TRD's are VERY stiff and enable near FLAT cornering ability, but the Daizen's also allow 90% of this (as far as other people's opinions). So Daizens would be a no-brainer to retain the ride quality but which coilovers apart from the Tein CSv2 would be good for a nice comfy ride?

I was also looking into the Megan Racing coilovers, which are supposed to be VERY good in terms of handling/ride quality compromise.

Just wondering what route would be the best?

Mitul.
Old 12-05-06, 07:10 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Twisties fun

Sounds to me like you've got the right idea already.

My wife went with all the Tom's braces and Daizen Sways but kept the stock springs and shocks.

I went with the Tom's braces TRD Sways and JIC MAGIC coilovers.

Hers is still soft and cushy and handles better than stock.

Mine is very firm ride and handles like it is on a rail at an amusement park.

I have not ever hear of Megan Racing coilovers, that is not to say they are good or bad.
I have heard that the Tein CS are very soft but give more control than stock.

One other idea is to add a LSD and you will have more traction thru the twisties.

Ivan
3dog
Old 12-06-06, 01:26 AM
skeet94
Driver

Ivan: Thanks for the reply man...that does help . I know the JIC are supposed to be a "firm" coilover, but would you say that if you kept the current brace combo and went to say Tein CS or a soft coilover of that kind that the soft ride quality could be retained, yet with fun in the twisties?

Regarding the LSD I'm currently looking at the Cusco or TRD unit. Not currently at the top of my priority list yet though lol.

Last edited by skeet94; 12-06-06 at 01:32 AM.
Old 12-06-06, 05:54 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

IMO,
the next step after your braces should be aftermarket sway bars. They contribute least to degrading ride quality while contributing significantly towards flat cornering. Which brand to go with is up to you but you know my personal preference.

If you are concerned re: ride quality and aren't taking your car to the racetrack then coilovers are overkill and repairing them will be expensive. I would also counsel against lowering your car if it is a daily driver--ride quality suffers and constantly scraping your bumper on the road is very unpleasant.The only upside is improved looks.

Keep your stock springs and go for Bilstein HD shocks(not the sports shocks).Besides Bilstein has LIFETIME warranty on their shocks.

Good luck!
Old 12-06-06, 06:30 AM
skeet94
Driver

Natnut: Thanks mate . Appreciate the advice...just looking at coilovers since I'm planning on going to a large single/stroker kit in the next year or so. So prepping the car up a bit, also can't afford to not lower the car as I've got a set of 19's on the car (fat tire setup) and it does need to be lowered lol. Looks aren't THAT important to me, but I would rather clear the gap all around.

Also just curious as to why lowering the car would make the car ride harshly? I always thought that if the suspension retained full travel at whatever "height" the ride wouldn't really be affected as much?

I was actually looking at the Bilstein PSS before realising the ride is pretty "firm". Then looked at Tein Flex and was told the ride is still "firm" then came across the Megan Racing Coilovers (Apexi knockoffs apparently) and still am told the ride quality is not "Lexus" like, and now I'm looking at Tein CSv2 or anything else out there that can possibly provide me with everything I'm looking for.
Old 12-06-06, 08:41 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm not sure why lowering had such an impact on my ride but after I lowered my car with Tanabe NF210 springs and Bilstein sport shocks, my ride became bumpy and uncomfortable.

Even after I switched to KYB shocks, the ride remained harsh so it wasn't due to the Bilstein sport shocks alone.

If you are going with such soft coilovers as the tein CS, you might as well go for the Bilstein HDs which are much cheaper,easier to setup and probably last longer.The difference in performance isn't worth $1500.

19 inch is a bit too large and heavy for optimal handling. A well designed light weight forged 18" rim is the way to go for optimal handling. It won't look as good but the less unsprung weight the better.
Old 12-06-06, 03:16 PM
movinquick
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

hey guys, i have tein flex's with 20s. i would like to have a more comfortable ride while still keeping the 20s. i understand that 20 inch rims will make my ride rough, but i would like to make it as less rough as it can be.

so far i have this list:

1. sway bars (front and back?) what brand is good? daizen? ltuned?
2. toms 6 links. what is that?
3. i read something about control arm bushings and ball joints too
4. any suggestions would be great
Old 12-10-06, 02:45 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
I'm not sure why lowering had such an impact on my ride but after I lowered my car with Tanabe NF210 springs and Bilstein sport shocks, my ride became bumpy and uncomfortable.

Even after I switched to KYB shocks, the ride remained harsh so it wasn't due to the Bilstein sport shocks alone.
This effect is well known.
THe reason is that when you lower your car with springs and shocks, and NOT coilovers, you decrease the suspension travel, thus making the ride more harsh and increasing the chances of bottoming out too. You're not working in the sweet spot of the suspension anymore. When you lower with coilovers, they retain full travel regardless of what ride height you set them to. This is one of the main advantages of coilovers. I chucked my L-Tuned suspension and got Tein CS because of this, worked out well, car stopped riding like a truck, and corners flatter now.
Old 12-12-06, 04:18 AM
skeet94
Driver

engin_ear: How you finding the Tein CS along with the sways and other suspension mods? (bracing, etc)...mostly with ride quality...is it anywhere near stock? (soft/smoothness of ride quality)
Old 12-12-06, 01:56 PM
brit_lex
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

skeet,

I'm afraid to say that soft lexus ride quality and above average handling is an oyxmoron. You can't have your cake and eat it, mate.

From all my experiences with cars, as soon as you start to make the car handle better with any kind of modifications over stock, you will lose the stock soft ride quality. The real question is what %age of your driving is in the twisties, and what %age is just driving straight.

Given that you're rolling on 19s at the moment, the sways will be the best mod you can start with. Do each suspension mod step by step and see how the ride changes.
Old 12-12-06, 07:23 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by skeet94
engin_ear: How you finding the Tein CS along with the sways and other suspension mods? (bracing, etc)...mostly with ride quality...is it anywhere near stock? (soft/smoothness of ride quality)
No it's not near stock, but not too far away. Once you start modding your suspension, you DON'T want stock anymore, the question is merely whether the suspension remains comfortable enough for you, while taking the handling and stability up a few notches.

The CS is excellent - I wouldn't need any stiffer. My biggest complaint is the Daizen suspension bushings, which do not allow the suspension to absorb expansion joints in the road anymore. You feel everything. I actually prefer the CS on full hard. No problem with any of the braces, the added stability is well worth the almost negligible effect on ride comfort.
Old 12-14-06, 05:47 AM
skeet94
Driver

Maneesh: Thanks for the advice mate! .

Engin_ear: When I was referring to stock, I meant soft ride quality...but I do know what you mean with regards to messing with stock suspension and losing the "ride" . With regards to the bushings, I'll just get new upper/lower arms as opposed to getting the Daizen bushings, as the arms are different on Aristo's and GS300's...I think I'm all set on a suspension setup again . Tein CSv2 with TOMS Bracing all around .

Thanks for all the help people! .
Old 12-14-06, 08:20 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,257 Likes on 998 Posts

I have been thinking about the same thing, improved handling with Keeping the Lexus quality ride.

Here's my opinion and direction. I don't believe that " above average handling is an oyxmoron ". And here is why. Better handling is a " Relative Term ".

consider this :
An improvement over stock is a improvement period. In my case I have decided to go this route. I have a 98 SC400 and I don't think some of these are options for you but they are directions that you can go with your GS.
I decided to run the Supra TT sway bars, front and back, Cusco Front strut brace. I have 18 inch wheels with top handeling Mitchelin tires.

I will also run the LS400 brake upgrade with steel line in the back. Which will allow me to run deeper in the corners with 3600 + lbs. Another great improvement is the improved steering rack bushing upgrade. I will also install new OEM struts, as my car has 92K miles and new struts will improve the handling a bit. I figure I overhaul improvement will be 25 to 30% better or more than I have now. And still Lexus ride quality. Once my front lower controls arms go bad, I will upgrade with the Supra ones that are beeifer and have a little stiffer bushings ( not sure if this is a option for the GS as it is on the SC ).
Minus the Control arms I will spend very few $ less that $1000, not including future control arms.

At last I will practice on improving my cornering and driving skills which, is most important because a professional driver on like cars can out drive a like car with $ 4k in suspension parts in a stock cars with decent tires. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by jgscott; 12-14-06 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-14-06, 08:23 AM
LexFather

Look at the spring rates...if they are near or the same as stock, you will get a lower look/better handling with near OEM ride.
I used Espelir and Two-Times has it on his GS with 20s....nice stock ride..
Old 02-01-07, 08:24 AM
skeet94
Driver

Coming back to this thread - I've also researched a bit more and have found that the Tein shocks are not always "consistent" in a set...someone on Supraforums.com actually has a pretty informative thread/info about it.

The constant adjustability doesn't do much for me, as I'm a set and forget guy.

So now I'm looking at the HKS coilovers LS+ or the RS series. Still debating which ones to go for, but I've heard alot of positive reviews on the LS+ regarding the stock ride quality, yet more controlled and significantly improved handling and monotube design. Personally think those, paired with the above TOMS braces would be more than enough to give me what I want. Will update this thread once I get it all.

Quick Reply: Soft Lexus quailty ride with handling to match???