Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Sway bars and Winter weather

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-06, 08:19 PM
djjt
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway bars and Winter weather

well, i'm thinking about getting headers, but then my mechanic said that's a lot of work and i have to get an O2 sensor... whatever, so i've been looking at sway bars... winter's coming up too. and sway bars make the suspension stiffer... great for dry pavement... perhaps better for wet?

but since it does make it stiffer, does it make it worse or better in snow/ice? say it goes past the point of traction and my rear end starts drifting out, does the sway bar help in gaining back traction or is it going encourage snow drifting

educate me!!
Old 11-17-06, 02:37 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think you'll notice any difference between swaybars when in the snow. Honestly.

The swaybar helps to keep the inside tire properly loaded in turns, and helps counteract the car bodies tendency to lift up on the inside during those turns.

In the snow, you won't have the friction on the 4 tires to create the same body-wallow condition where the swaybar is really doing it's job and keeping the car 'flat'. In the snow, the car body will be flat anyway!

Get those things, put them on and enjoy!
Old 11-27-06, 07:50 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

One thing I can tell ya for sure. It's going to be a hell of a lot easier to swing the car around and go in circles(and keep it spinning ) when it's snowy/icy outside

After I put my sways on, it was a lot easier for me to break the rear end loose
Old 11-28-06, 08:21 AM
djjt
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well easier to spin around in the snow... that's just counteracting the point of sway bar huh? haha

its actually both a good and bad thing... good in an empty parking lot, bad near other cars hehe
Old 12-02-06, 10:43 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Actually, the more I think about it....I think I've worded it wrong. It's feels easier to swing the back out because the car is more rigid. When you do swing out, it's a much more controlled slide and also easier to control the movement/direction of the slide. I know it's contradicting but thats the best way I can describe it.

With the stock configuration, the whole car is so soft and wobbly that when you do manage to swing it out....you're probably out of control lol.