Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Replacement Shocks

Old 11-07-06, 10:46 AM
CPALex
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replacement Shocks

Bought my GS400 about a year ago and so far I love it. I just replaced the high performance Pirelli's with a Bridgestone Potenza and now have a much better ride. However, I suspect that the struts are a little worn and could use replacing. Any suggestions as to what I could use to replace the originals would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

p.s. I'm running a stock 98 GS400 with 111,000 miles and 17" rims. I'm not looking to lower it.

Last edited by CPALex; 11-07-06 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-07-06, 12:57 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

are you looking for OEM ride or something a bit firmer?
Old 11-07-06, 01:26 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might as well add in lowering springs while you are at it.
Old 11-07-06, 03:05 PM
CPALex
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by GSteg
are you looking for OEM ride or something a bit firmer?
I don't know. I'm looking for a smooth comfortable ride with decent handling. At the moment it seems that even the small bumps come right through the body of the car and I don't like that at all. This changed a good bit with the tire switch but I still feel the bumps quite a bit more than in my Honda Odyssey and that doesn't seem right.

What are these sway bars I keep hearing about? I've not been able to determine exactly what they do.
Old 11-07-06, 03:06 PM
CPALex
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mikevanle
Might as well add in lowering springs while you are at it.
Mike, I suppose I'm one of the small minority who thinks his car looks best at normal height!
Old 11-07-06, 03:14 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CPALex,
I'm with you. I have a 23 year old nephew who bugs me about lowering my car and putting on big wheels. I admit they look good on someone else's car, but not on mine.

I drive too many freeway miles for that. Comfort above all for me. I know we are in the minority, but to each his own.
Thanks
Old 11-07-06, 03:25 PM
CPALex
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by gserep1
CPALex,
I'm with you. I have a 23 year old nephew who bugs me about lowering my car and putting on big wheels. I admit they look good on someone else's car, but not on mine.

I drive too many freeway miles for that. Comfort above all for me. I know we are in the minority, but to each his own.
Thanks
How true. In addition to your points, my clients are attorneys and business executives. The good impression I make driving my Black on Black GS400 might become a bad impression if lowered and seen by my conservative clients.
Old 11-12-06, 08:17 PM
David1969
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm about ready to change my shocks/struts on my GS400. On my Cobra, i went with Bilstein shocks/struts and boy what a difference it made. I love the Bilsteins so much i'm going to go with them all around my car. They carry a lifetime unlimited warranty ( at least they did when i bought mine ) and are 100% replaceable should something go wrong with them. They're touted as "the best" and i agree completely. Just something to think about when choosing your struts/shocks.
Old 11-12-06, 08:28 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by CPALex
I don't know. I'm looking for a smooth comfortable ride with decent handling. At the moment it seems that even the small bumps come right through the body of the car and I don't like that at all. This changed a good bit with the tire switch but I still feel the bumps quite a bit more than in my Honda Odyssey and that doesn't seem right.

What are these sway bars I keep hearing about? I've not been able to determine exactly what they do.
I hear you on that. My parent's 05 odyssey is smoother over the roads compared to my GS400 when it was stock. I still went with KYB shocks and Eibach springs (lowers 1" all around so it doesn't look "lowered"), but it decreases the wheel gap all around. If you're looking for that smooth feel, then go with what's proven to do that: OEM shocks. Chances are, you'll feel more road with any aftermarket shocks.

Front: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...98&catalogid=2

Rear: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...98&catalogid=2

^^ OEM shocks

As far as sway bars, they are basically a bar that connects from one lower control arm to the other. It's and additional suspension component part that reduces body roll. The trade off is if you're driving over uneven road, you do feel more imperfection. Certainly I wouldn't recommend getting sway bars if you're concerned with ride quality. Remember, any suspension mod you do to the car that enhances performance, your ride quality becomes less OEM. Not even the almighty Tein CS that everyone raves about can absorb the road's imperfections like OEM suspension.

Last edited by GSteg; 11-12-06 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-13-06, 08:54 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Earlier this year, I replaced the shocks on my 99 GS400 (80,000 miles at the time) with OEM stock replacements. It dramatically improved the ride quality.
Old 12-02-06, 10:05 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by e-man
Earlier this year, I replaced the shocks on my 99 GS400 (80,000 miles at the time) with OEM stock replacements. It dramatically improved the ride quality.
I think I'm going to go this route too.
Old 12-03-06, 07:39 AM
WillieGS3
Driver

Default Just installed the New Tien Comport Sports V2 from Carlson Toyota

Oh boy what a big difference between Tien Flex Coilovers and Tien CS version coilovers. My Lexus quite ride is back with sport feel. I will difinetely recomend this set.
Old 01-25-07, 03:43 PM
CPALex
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by WillieGS3
Oh boy what a big difference between Tien Flex Coilovers and Tien CS version coilovers. My Lexus quite ride is back with sport feel. I will difinetely recomend this set.
Willie, which did you use - the CS or the flex? Where di you get them? Are these OEM?
Old 01-25-07, 04:38 PM
WillieGS3
Driver

Tein CS version 2 with EDFC old (big motor)
Old 01-25-07, 06:22 PM
bigL
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a used set of l tuned Id be willing to part with.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacement Shocks