Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Anyone with FIGS or DAIZEN rack bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-21, 06:19 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 178 Likes on 149 Posts
Default Anyone with FIGS or DAIZEN rack bushings?

Just wondering if they squeak after time and if I’m always going to have to lube them, and if there is any negatives about them at all like does it makes the car less smooth or stiffer over bumps. I prefer the soft factory ride but without the sloppy steering from the worn bushings so if the bushings aren’t maintenance free I might just buy a refurbished rack for a couple hundred if that makes the steering tighter like new again too

Last edited by DMPesso; 07-27-21 at 06:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dwoods801 (08-03-21)
Old 07-27-21, 06:42 PM
Yri
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by DMPesso
Just wondering if they squeak after time and if I’m always going to have to lube them, and if there is any negatives about them at all like does it makes the car less smooth or stiffer over bumps. I prefer the soft factory ride but without the sloppy steering from the worn bushings so if the bushings aren’t maintenance free I might just buy a refurbished rack for a couple hundred if that makes the steering tighter like new again too
It depends on which steering rack bushing set you're talking about. I know FIGS sells both polyurethane and solid bushings. Both will require grease over time, but as long as you would grease them often they probably would last nearly forever. Of course, stiffer bushings mean more response and less slop so its either slop, a little slop or no slop at all (solid bushings)
Old 07-27-21, 08:15 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Yri
It depends on which steering rack bushing set you're talking about. I know FIGS sells both polyurethane and solid bushings. Both will require grease over time, but as long as you would grease them often they probably would last nearly forever. Of course, stiffer bushings mean more response and less slop so its either slop, a little slop or no slop at all (solid bushings)
you think changing the rack to new makes it better or only the upgraded bushings? I think a new rack should help also
Old 07-27-21, 10:01 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

Received 280 Likes on 242 Posts

It’s been a really long time but I think I used the Daizen. Never lubed them again after install, but the car has now been sitting for a long time
Old 07-28-21, 07:32 AM
Yri
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts

you think changing the rack to new makes it better or only the upgraded bushings? I think a new rack should help also
Of course a new rack would help, but I'm not too sure it's worth the extra $ over getting some solid or polyurethane bushings.
Old 07-28-21, 07:35 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

I've had the FIGS for almost 2 years now. Never squeaked a bit and I've never re-greased. They helped tighten up the on center dead spot quite a bit in my car
Yri (07-28-21)
Old 07-28-21, 03:54 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Yri
Of course a new rack would help, but I'm not too sure it's worth the extra $ over getting some solid or polyurethane bushings.
I just feel like the labor is going to be a hassle to change the bushings and I would rather have the stock ride if a new rack would tighten it up too. I’m curious if anyone has replaced the rack before
Old 07-28-21, 04:55 PM
firelizard
Forum Moderator

Received 459 Likes on 363 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...k-bushing.html
Old 08-02-21, 04:53 AM
dwoods801
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 209 Posts

I just feel like the labor is going to be a hassle to change the bushings and I would rather have the stock ride if a new rack would tighten it up too. I’m curious if anyone has replaced the rack before
the bushings are extremely easy to install. Certainly something anyone who can change their own oil, could replace the majority of the bushings without any snags. The Figs bushings are so much better than the Diazons or the majority of aftermarket companies, that would be the way to go if u can afford their parts, I have used many of the blue SuperPro bushings that complete the Figs catalog.
They have a special pattern cut anywhere the bushings meet metal, that creates a nice groove to contain much more grease than other poly bushings, The majority of the people with squeaky bushings, weren’t able to get enough grease on the bushings before installing. If doing the work yourself isn’t an option, then I am sure any competent technician can quickly install them for u. And it should still affordable. Figs usually has videos covering the installation process attached to many of the products on their website.
Yri (08-02-21)
Old 08-02-21, 11:51 AM
dwoods801
Instructor

If your factory bushings are worn out, which most original ones are at this point, then replacing the rack but reinstalling the old bushings wouldn’t tighten things up like you would want. And unless the rack is leaking or noisy, I don’t think you’ll notice much difference between it and a replacement. Certainly the Poly bushings are very popular because they are a harder material than rubber and will tighten the vehicle quite noticeably while not making it harsh. And they last pretty much forever. If you buy a good set of the SuperPros and they are greased up really well, you shouldn’t ever need to touch them again. Also, I believe there is some adjustment to the power steering gear, that can firm up the steering, but you wouldn’t want to try the adjustment unless you knew the bushings were in good shape.
Old 08-02-21, 12:28 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dwoods801
If your factory bushings are worn out, which most original ones are at this point, then replacing the rack but reinstalling the old bushings wouldn’t tighten things up like you would want. And unless the rack is leaking or noisy, I don’t think you’ll notice much difference between it and a replacement. Certainly the Poly bushings are very popular because they are a harder material than rubber and will tighten the vehicle quite noticeably while not making it harsh. And they last pretty much forever. If you buy a good set of the SuperPros and they are greased up really well, you shouldn’t ever need to touch them again. Also, I believe there is some adjustment to the power steering gear, that can firm up the steering, but you wouldn’t want to try the adjustment unless you knew the bushings were in good shape.
yea I’m leaning towards the figs I was just worried it would transmit more vibrations or make the car stiffer which I don’t want. I like the soft oem ride. I did see the leak has oil around that large hex looking bolt on the driver side but I didn’t see any fluid dripping out. Does this mean the rack is bad?
Old 08-03-21, 11:38 AM
dwoods801
Instructor

No, a little bit of fluid seepage is normal. Generally the problems that can necessitate replacing the steering rack would be if it’s leaking a substantial amount of fluid, making any unusual noise, isn’t cycling smoothly when turning from side to side. Or if it has any physical problems like bent or dented. If your not having any problems like that, and want to keep the steering as comfortable as possible then replacing the bushings with a set of quality rubber ones is going to be your best option. The OEM ones are obviously great, but they can be very expensive. I would search around eBay and find some with a good rating and then take it to a smaller shop in your neighborhood. You don’t need to go the dealer to get them installed. If it’s something your not able to install yourself, and don’t know a good shop, then I would suggest one of the franchised tire and repair shops like Les Shwaub or GoodYear etc. They are all very capable of doing the work without doing anything shady. And if you have a problem, there’ll be a corporate customer service department to contact.
If your interested in improving how the car feels on the road, these cars have countless bushings through out the steering and suspension systems. And there is a handful of bushings that are almost always ready for replacement on a 20 year old car. The Castor Arm #2 the RLCA outer bushing on the suspension knuckle, are usually hard, or torn and almost everyone who gets them replaced, even if there wasn’t an obvious issue, is very happy with the results and generally say things like, “I didn’t realize how much smoother my car could be”, and “I didn’t know there was a problem but replacing the CA#2 has made my car feel like new again.” Also the motor mounts and trans mount can really improve the feel of the car.
These are all pretty inexpensive and generally easily replaced items but very few people look to replace them unless there is a serious problem. The rubber ones are usually rock hard after about 10 years, and get torn after 100k miles. The poly ones are supposed to last forever but they can occasionally become squeaky and need to be removed, cleaned and greased up again before reinstalling so they are worth a premium.
So you’ll have to decide how much money this is worth to u. I have been driving GS400s since they were new and they have a very impressive chassis, very smooth, solid and quiet. Also very good handling and braking. A few bad bushings can rob u of all that, without showing any obvious signs of a problem. So if you want to enjoy your car, then invest in it accordingly.
Old 08-03-21, 12:14 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

thanks bro, yea the GS4 is my favorite car I’ve had a GS430 and GS400 for over 10 years. I’ve replaced everything already almost, upper control arms, caster #2 arms, ball joints, sway links and bushings, motor mounts, everything you can think of. Worth every penny car drives almost like new except the steering wheel still shakes a little over 65. After changing the upper control arms and caster arms the car was so much smoother and responsive. I was debating on the figs rack bushings but if they ever have a chance of squeaking I’m going to end up hating them. I would love to go oem if you can point me in the direction of a oem quality bushing. I don’t notice any of those issues you mention steering is still smooth pretty tight there’s just that little bit of play that I heard is from the rack bushings. Yea I always make sure the GS drives like new because when it does it’s better then most new cars out there now. Nothing like a v8 2GS. Even the new GS I don’t like in comparison. I don’t understand why anyone would bring a car to the dealer unless it’s for warranty work. I have a few good Indy mechanics I use. Never ever go to the dealer.

Originally Posted by dwoods801
No, a little bit of fluid seepage is normal. Generally the problems that can necessitate replacing the steering rack would be if it’s leaking a substantial amount of fluid, making any unusual noise, isn’t cycling smoothly when turning from side to side. Or if it has any physical problems like bent or dented. If your not having any problems like that, and want to keep the steering as comfortable as possible then replacing the bushings with a set of quality rubber ones is going to be your best option. The OEM ones are obviously great, but they can be very expensive. I would search around eBay and find some with a good rating and then take it to a smaller shop in your neighborhood. You don’t need to go the dealer to get them installed. If it’s something your not able to install yourself, and don’t know a good shop, then I would suggest one of the franchised tire and repair shops like Les Shwaub or GoodYear etc. They are all very capable of doing the work without doing anything shady. And if you have a problem, there’ll be a corporate customer service department to contact.
If your interested in improving how the car feels on the road, these cars have countless bushings through out the steering and suspension systems. And there is a handful of bushings that are almost always ready for replacement on a 20 year old car. The Castor Arm #2 the RLCA outer bushing on the suspension knuckle, are usually hard, or torn and almost everyone who gets them replaced, even if there wasn’t an obvious issue, is very happy with the results and generally say things like, “I didn’t realize how much smoother my car could be”, and “I didn’t know there was a problem but replacing the CA#2 has made my car feel like new again.” Also the motor mounts and trans mount can really improve the feel of the car.
These are all pretty inexpensive and generally easily replaced items but very few people look to replace them unless there is a serious problem. The rubber ones are usually rock hard after about 10 years, and get torn after 100k miles. The poly ones are supposed to last forever but they can occasionally become squeaky and need to be removed, cleaned and greased up again before reinstalling so they are worth a premium.
So you’ll have to decide how much money this is worth to u. I have been driving GS400s since they were new and they have a very impressive chassis, very smooth, solid and quiet. Also very good handling and braking. A few bad bushings can rob u of all that, without showing any obvious signs of a problem. So if you want to enjoy your car, then invest in it accordingly.
Old 08-03-21, 06:00 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

Received 280 Likes on 242 Posts

I know the bushings helped out, but I remember a few threads on here about adjusting the tensioner helping too.
Old 08-03-21, 06:55 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexo98
I know the bushings helped out, but I remember a few threads on here about adjusting the tensioner helping too.
seems like a lot of people were having problems adjusting that bolt and honestly I don’t want to mess with it because the steering is perfect it’s only on the highway it gets a little looser then I’d like.

Quick Reply: Anyone with FIGS or DAIZEN rack bushings?