Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

What is the best ''bang for the buck'' suspension upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-06, 12:15 AM
CRSO
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default What is the best ''bang for the buck'' suspension upgrade?

besides coilovers. I searched the entire suspension forum (all relevant threads) and decided on struts and lowering springs. Reason being is strictly budget (baby on the way) and I need new struts bad. I don't need or want to adjust the height at all.

I am looking for a 1'' - 1 1/2'' drop (not slammed. I just want to close up the gap) and a good quality ride (somewhat near stock).

Daizen, H&R, or Eibach springs? Any others recommended?

KYB (lol), or L-Tuned Struts? Any others recommended?

I'm running 18's with 225/40's.

I'd love to hear from those that have a spring / strut setup (or just one or the other)

Last edited by CRSO; 09-28-06 at 12:18 AM.
Old 09-28-06, 08:30 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

there is nothing wrong with KYB shocks. L-tuned shocks are relabeled KYB anyways. If you want firmness and handling, go with Bilstein shocks, but they can cost up to $500 for a whole set.

The eibach (l-tuned) spring will give you the most conservative drop of 1" while the H&R will drop about 1.3" F / 1.4" R.

The Eibach/KYB setup is probably the closest you'll get to stock, other than going stock itself. I'm riding on this setup (L-tuned/KYB) and I think it's more than enough for me. I do city driving so I dont need the handling of coilovers and such.
Old 09-28-06, 09:23 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

idk how "bad" u need it, BUT if you could hold out for a little while and save some more money, TRUST ME, u should wait until u can get what u want. just be patient. me on the other hand, i had L-tuned set up 1st, then switched to tein FLEX w/edfc and when i realized i didnt like that, i stepped up to the plate and purchases what i REALLY wanted, which was the tein CS.... now think about the amount of money i WASTED before i got what i wanted and the money to install each new set... money well wasted. so do what you want, but make sure u get what you want the 1st time and avoid the waste that i went through.
Old 09-29-06, 12:50 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Sway bars. I recommend Daizen.
Old 09-29-06, 08:51 AM
SloGS3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had 3 different set-ups on mine, 1st was Tein h-tech springs on stock struts, then I realized that was not low enough so I went with the KYB/Tein s-tech route, which was a lot better. It rode slightly stiffer than stock, handeled better, but still wasnt low enough for me. So the third time around I was debating if i should get a different set of springs or just bite the bullet and get the Tein CS, so I went with the teins. They ride very smooth, but they are not stiff enough for me, the car still has way too much body roll for my likings, coming from driving a S2000 to a sloppy boat like the GS, you can imagine what my preferences are as far as handeling goes. For now im sticking with the cs and I plan on adding trd sways to help out with the body roll. Long story short, decide what your preferences are, what kind of roads you drive on and base your choice on that. You cant go wrong with the KYB, the choice in springs is yours!
Old 09-29-06, 12:11 PM
CRSO
Driver

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SloGS3
I had 3 different set-ups on mine, 1st was Tein h-tech springs on stock struts, then I realized that was not low enough so I went with the KYB/Tein s-tech route, which was a lot better. It rode slightly stiffer than stock, handeled better, but still wasnt low enough for me. So the third time around I was debating if i should get a different set of springs or just bite the bullet and get the Tein CS, so I went with the teins. They ride very smooth, but they are not stiff enough for me, the car still has way too much body roll for my likings, coming from driving a S2000 to a sloppy boat like the GS, you can imagine what my preferences are as far as handeling goes. For now im sticking with the cs and I plan on adding trd sways to help out with the body roll. Long story short, decide what your preferences are, what kind of roads you drive on and base your choice on that. You cant go wrong with the KYB, the choice in springs is yours!
Thanks guys... I think I am going to go with the KYB's as I had them in my Maxima and they worked great. I also may go with the Eibach Springs.

I'm not too fussy, I would like a better handling car since I am going to have to upgrade the suspension anyway and want to do it for a good price. I am fine with springs and struts. Once I get the struts mounted in the spring, it's a straight swap when I change it out. I did a few suspensions before and it's a pain to just change out either/or because of all the manual labor involved without a lift or power tools.

Any more recommendations are welcome.
Old 10-01-06, 04:30 PM
eman88
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm running Bilsteins Sports with Tanabe springs....I also replaced all my bushing with Daizens....great set-up...
Old 10-03-06, 11:41 AM
SloGS3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CRSO
Thanks guys... I think I am going to go with the KYB's as I had them in my Maxima and they worked great. I also may go with the Eibach Springs.

I'm not too fussy, I would like a better handling car since I am going to have to upgrade the suspension anyway and want to do it for a good price. I am fine with springs and struts. Once I get the struts mounted in the spring, it's a straight swap when I change it out. I did a few suspensions before and it's a pain to just change out either/or because of all the manual labor involved without a lift or power tools.

Any more recommendations are welcome.
Swapping the suspension out should not take you more than 2 hours total front and back doing it at your home with just regular wrenches. The gs is so straight froward its insane! You dont even need to compress the springs that much, I used a spring comressor at my buddies shop for free, the front could be done without one if you have somebody helping you, the rear is so loose until it gets some weight on the strut that you wont need to compress it at all. Good luck with the install, let us know how it turns out!
Ivan
Old 10-03-06, 01:08 PM
CRSO
Driver

Originally Posted by SloGS3
Swapping the suspension out should not take you more than 2 hours total front and back doing it at your home with just regular wrenches. The gs is so straight froward its insane! You dont even need to compress the springs that much, I used a spring comressor at my buddies shop for free, the front could be done without one if you have somebody helping you, the rear is so loose until it gets some weight on the strut that you wont need to compress it at all. Good luck with the install, let us know how it turns out!
Ivan
Really... Whoa. I did my Maxima in about 3 and I thought that was easy.

I am trying to decide on Springs. I want a good drop but not to where I'm scraping everything. I only want to get rid of the wheel gap but want to maintain a nice ride.

It's between the Tein SS Springs or H&R. I hear the Eibach is too stiff and not enough drop. Also, the Sprint has a good drop but is too stiff.

I don't want something that will wake the baby over bumps...
Old 10-05-06, 12:39 AM
RacerLex
Pole Position

I recommend you wait until you've saved enough to buy coilovers. You can find deals out there, even a used set. Buy once and no regrets...
Old 10-05-06, 07:01 AM
CRSO
Driver

Originally Posted by RacerLex
I recommend you wait until you've saved enough to buy coilovers. You can find deals out there, even a used set. Buy once and no regrets...
I've changed a bunch of suspensions out on almost all of my cars and never wanted/needed coilovers. I don't need the adjustability and cannot justify the price when I can get a spring/shock setup for <500.00. Good coilovers will be more than twice that. I'd like to use the extra $$$ on other things. I think there's nothing wrong with my decision. To each his own...

However, if I didn't have a baby on the way and I was single with hundreds (even fives) to wipe my a$$ with.... well.... that's a different story.
Old 10-07-06, 01:18 PM
lalexusgs
Advanced

I am running on KYB shocks/struts, and Tanabe DF210 springs with 18" wheels (245/40). Very happy with the ride now. It was pretty low and rubbing on stock 16" wheels, but was all fixed with 18"s. If you want a low drop go with DF210s, 1.5" drop minimum, going up to 2".
Old 10-07-06, 01:59 PM
CRSO
Driver

Originally Posted by lalexusgs
I am running on KYB shocks/struts, and Tanabe DF210 springs with 18" wheels (245/40). Very happy with the ride now. It was pretty low and rubbing on stock 16" wheels, but was all fixed with 18"s. If you want a low drop go with DF210s, 1.5" drop minimum, going up to 2".
It rubbed with the stock 16's?

Damn.. Don't know if I want to go that low if it rubs but I have 225/40-18's and 225/55-16's. They're a little skinnier.

How is the ride with the DF's compared to stock?
Old 10-07-06, 06:44 PM
CRSO
Driver

Damn.. Now I'm stuck between Daizens, Tanabe DF210's (or NF's if the DF's drop is too low) and the Tein SS Springs.

Something is telling me the Tanabe DF's may be too low and the NF's too high? I don't want it too low for the winter.
Old 10-07-06, 11:32 PM
lalexusgs
Advanced

Originally Posted by CRSO
It rubbed with the stock 16's?

Damn.. Don't know if I want to go that low if it rubs but I have 225/40-18's and 225/55-16's. They're a little skinnier.

How is the ride with the DF's compared to stock?
Well, the rubbing was not with wheels, but the middle section of the exhaust tubes appeared to be very low. With 18" wheels the ride is perfect, pretty much like stock, just looks much better.

Quick Reply: What is the best ''bang for the buck'' suspension upgrade?