Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Warning brake light stays on after I touch brakes, why?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-06, 02:44 PM
lexi4darin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning brake light stays on after I touch brakes, why?

Hey guys,

I just recently swapped my trunk (w/ a stock wing) with another GS300 owner (no wing). We also, swapped the rear interior deck lid so that our 3rd brake lights were appropriate.

Everything is fine on my car. His brake light wired right in using the stock Lexus wiring harness. My brake lights and tail lights all work perfectly. I get no warning from the instrument panel that my brake light is out.

However, his car gives him the brake light warning. He's tested all the brake light bulbs to make sure that none of them burned out during the swap. And still, he gets the brake light warning. I should mention that he says the brake light warning is off when he starts up the car until he hits the brake pedal. Then the light stays on until he turns the car off.

Anyone have any ideas of why this happening? Has anyone performed this swap before and experienced anything similar?

Car vitals:

2002 GS430 with stock rear wing

2000 GS300 Platnium Series no wing

We used all the stock wiring that is in place from the manufacturer. This was a direct swap of parts from his car to mine. No wires cut or modified. The wiring harness for the GS's comes ready to accept the rear wing or interior 3rd brake light so I don't understand why his warning light is activated if mine is not. Seems strange that there would be a volts/watts difference between the two stock parts that run through the same pre-installed wiring harness.
Old 09-22-06, 08:04 PM
SoCal_VIP
Lexus Test Driver

My light stays on but I dis connected the 3rd brake light. I have to many brake lights when I brake.
Old 09-22-06, 08:51 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Suggest you check to insure the high mounted stoplight bulb installed in the failing vehicle is the exact bulb number as the one referenced in the electrical components section of that vehicle's owners manual.
Old 09-22-06, 10:45 PM
lexi4darin
Driver

I can't stress it enough guys, it's an exact OEM swap. So there's no situation of cut wires, wrong wire harness, non-OEM bulbs etc or double flux capacitor.

I appreciate the advice, I really do, but right now I'm thinking a connector was put in backwards, the light bulb burned out during the install, or the sensor relay mechanism doo-hickey is different between the non-wing and wing models (which, is extremely low odds as I've checked with the dealer, Putnam Lexus, and it makes not a lick of logical sense).

Anyone with ideas?
Old 09-23-06, 04:06 AM
usmarines
Driver

I had my oem wing installed and the bodyshop did not wire the third brake light to the wing light, so I also had to many, brake lights, so I disconnected the thrid brake light and the same thing happend the car when started had nothing but when the brakes were applied, the light came on. I just plugged the third brake light back in and took the bulbs and faced them downward so that the light could not be seen, I know this is not the proper way is listed on banana gs's site http://lexusmodz.netfirms.com/ but I didn't have the time and that light was driving me crazy.
Old 09-23-06, 06:18 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tammy
Suggest you check to insure the high mounted stoplight bulb installed in the failing vehicle is the exact bulb number as the one referenced in the electrical components section of that vehicle's owners manual.
Respectfully , the only way to be positive is to look at the bulb and compare with the manual. Just reseating the bulb may resolve the lamp condition. The connection should be considered also.
Old 09-25-06, 12:27 PM
testing
Driver

Default Please Help guys!

Hi Guys:

Do you have any idea of what's happened?????