Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Suspension Mods - All Ideas Welcome!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-06, 01:38 PM
V8Lexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Mods - All Ideas Welcome!!

OK so first off i have a 2001 GS430 with 112k miles on the original struts/springs. No problems what so ever but i do want to lower the car and do other suspension mods. This is what i had in mind. Daizen Sport Lowering springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, TRD Sway Bars, Tom's Front/Rear Strut Tower Braces. This is strictly a street car so no aggressive suspension mods are needed but i did want to lower it and help it handle better. For a while ill be running on my stock rims which are chrome 17x8 OEM Lexus wheels with 235/45/17s. Tires are in great shape so i wont be changing those any time soon but i figured, when the tires wear out ill put on a new set of wheels/tires. With the 1.9/1.7 drop would 19s be too aggressive since i'd have to run like a 30 or 35 series tire? Or would 18s look OK on it? I'm not an old man so i could tolerate the harshness of the ride with a 30 or 35 series tire. I'm not looking to do coilovers unless i can get a GOOD set brand new lifetime warranty for 800 bucks which is what the springs/struts will run me. Any ideas/help is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
Old 09-03-06, 11:10 PM
V8Lexus
Rookie

bump.....need some help here guys.
Old 09-07-06, 01:55 PM
GS42NV
Pole Position

i wouldnt put 18's on my car over the chrome 17's you have now, unless they were some uber high end wheels, such that Hameed has.

I would also get the coilovers, even if they are a little more expensive, due to the reason being you might be in a position later where you might want to get coilovers, and will kick yourself in the **** for not getting in the first place. also, both the flex and the CS are adjustable for both dampening and ride height, so you are fully capable of changing you handling characteristics should you decide to go on a canyon run one morning, as well as be able to lift or lower the car per either needs (rubbing issues) or looks (VIP).

spend the extra couple hundred now, and get the best parts you can get. i'd personally go for the CSv2, which with installation and shipping, etc., should run you less than 1500 for a new set.

if you're gonna spend so much money on the sways and struts, why cut yourself short with a subpar suspension compared to the rest of your compenents?

19's on a 35f/30r tire set will of course ride a little harsher than your stock 17's. you could always go the route of the "fat-setup" and do 40f/35r for the extra sidewall cushion, but people's opinions vary about that.

i've personally ride in a car with 20's and 35 profile tires and the ride was still damn good. not harsh, but there is of course a little more road feedback.

look at your budget first, then determine where you choose to go from there.

i'd actually do the coilovers first, since that will provide you with both the drop you want as well as a significant handling improvement. next, if you care about aesthetics I would go with the wheels, or if you still see you need better handling I would go with the sways. struts on our cars provide a minimal improvement, thus I would buy them last. if it were me, and since you already have chrome 17's with good tires, this would be my order:

1. Coilovers (pref. CSv2, or Flex, but S/S would still be better than stock)
2. Daizen Sways (better than TRD as they are less harsh, and adjustable. since you will be changing out suspension and wheels eventually, the TRD may be too harsh for even a young'n like you)
3. Wheels
4. STB (multiple options, currently Carson seems to be most popular, but im not a expert on these lol. would create another thread for opinions on which would be best for your application.)

hope i was able to give you a little bit more insight. good luck with the route you choose to go.
Old 09-13-06, 06:39 PM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My opinion on this one:

1.Tein CS coilovers
2.TRD sway bars
3.19'' wheels with "fat setup" tires

Great handling performance, still - very comfortable

That would be my choice
Old 09-13-06, 06:42 PM
tommyGS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LEXSOOS
My opinion on this one:

1.Tein CS coilovers
2.TRD sway bars

That would be my choice

do his idea but change TRD sways to Daizen sways for better comfort
Old 09-13-06, 07:15 PM
cpone
There can only be One

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LEXSOOS
My opinion on this one:

1.Tein CS coilovers
2.TRD sway bars

That would be my choice
Cosigned the above.
I am doing the same thing.

Total Cost.

Rims and Tires: 1800
Tein CS V2 installed: 1400
Daizens installed: 450

Should be smooth as silk.
Old 09-13-06, 11:52 PM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't rush in ... I have changed my set up twice now ... from the rims and suspension

just a tease it looks like this now ... (19's) cant reveil pics until EOS5 but heres a couple ..

tein has are a great set up if your looking too ... And rims go staggered Best look and feel ... for me