Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

updating my struts/shocks

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-06, 10:20 AM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default updating my struts/shocks

I am considering Bilstein HD running stock springs on our GS300. It's about $500 or so shipped. Is anyone running this? I want crisper handling and to eliminate the float. Right now, my Proxe 4 tires overwhelm the stock suspension (62k miles).
Old 08-01-06, 11:32 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do it - you'll love them. i had them and they were great with the eibach springs. I have another set that I'm thinking about swapping in and taking out my Tein CS setup since I like the stiffer ride (same as crisper handling and eliminating the float).

You might want to lower the car a little with some lowering springs. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the bilsteins shocks have variable dampening depending on how much they are compressed and it could very well be that when coupled with lowering springs they are compressed to a sweet spot that most CL members prefer or just happen to have experience with - myself included.

That being said, not sure what it would feel like with stock springs but if you go with some lowering springs- you should be happy.
Old 08-01-06, 12:22 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cliffud
Do it - you'll love them. i had them and they were great with the eibach springs. I have another set that I'm thinking about swapping in and taking out my Tein CS setup since I like the stiffer ride (same as crisper handling and eliminating the float).

You might want to lower the car a little with some lowering springs. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the bilsteins shocks have variable dampening depending on how much they are compressed and it could very well be that when coupled with lowering springs they are compressed to a sweet spot that most CL members prefer or just happen to have experience with - myself included.

That being said, not sure what it would feel like with stock springs but if you go with some lowering springs- you should be happy.
Thanks for your reply.

Now, this seems a bit ****, but I was considering springs as well but I was worried about resale value. But I guess at this point, resale is pretty much at the bottom already.

How low did the Eibachs lower your car? With a tein coilover, will the labor time be reduced?
Old 08-01-06, 12:50 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

About resale value - you can always swap the stock suspension back when you're done with the car.

The eibachs lower the car approx 1-1.5 inches all around. More in the front I believe. And yes, the labor time will be reduced when you swap out for coilovers since the coilover is already built whereas the mechanic is going to have to disassemble your stock shock/spring and rebuild it so they can use the mounting hardware with the new shock/spring.
Old 08-01-06, 12:55 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cliffud
About resale value - you can always swap the stock suspension back when you're done with the car.

The eibachs lower the car approx 1-1.5 inches all around. More in the front I believe. And yes, the labor time will be reduced when you swap out for coilovers since the coilover is already built whereas the mechanic is going to have to disassemble your stock shock/spring and rebuild it so they can use the mounting hardware with the new shock/spring.
Very good points.

The coilovers will need some tuning though? Probably corner balancing?
Old 08-01-06, 01:42 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

not sure about the corner balancing. I've seen it done but never understood how it works. When I had my teins put on we didn't do any corner balancing and the car seems to ride ok.
Old 08-01-06, 03:29 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

I am looking at teins cs - $1300 a good price? The bilstein with eibachs are about $800 with tax and shipping
Old 08-01-06, 04:18 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

that price must be for the version 2. some say the version 2 is better than the version 1 and logic would say that tein wouldn't throw out a product that was less impressive than their initial product.

Here's the thing though, for the money and if I were you - I honestly would try to pick up a used set of the version 1 since they can be had for hundreds less and before these version 2s came out - they were the HOTTEST coilovers for the GS. In fact, probably around the same amount you had budgeted for the eibach/bilstein setup.

If you're definitely set on the version 2 CS and since you're in southern CA, I would suggest going to TM Engineering. The shop is run by Todd and he's a very smart mechanic who specializes in our cars. You can find his address on his site: www.tmengineering.net.

If you like your ride 60% comfy and 40% sport, go with the tein cs. If you like your ride more 60% sport and 40% comfy- go with the eibach/bilstein setup. If you're also interested in adjusting your ride quality and height in the future, definitely go with the tein CS. The percentages are just my opinion but I've gone from the bilstein/eibach to the CS and I may go back to the eibach/bilstein because I simply can't make up my mind.
Old 08-01-06, 06:06 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for your reply. I will look into the older set and see if there are any used ones. I like the idea of being able to adjust heights, etc., although, I am not sure when i would use it.

Thanks for the suggestion on shops but unfortunately, I am in norcal and not socal. I am sure there is an indy shop that can help me. A friend of mine is looking into the Bilstein/Tein locally so I will see what he can do for me.

I have a MINI Cooper S and it's pretty stiff so I know stiff like that is out for a Lexus.