Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

switch from L-Tuned to Tein CS

Old 06-20-06, 07:19 AM
pavster
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default switch from L-Tuned to Tein CS

Hi, I've tried searching, but I get too much garbage. I am wondering if anyone has switched from L-Tuned setup to Tein CS, especially if it's the new Tein CS. I am now running on L-Tuned S/S, and I am not happy with the float. Don't want to go to Flex since it sounds like it will kill me on our crappy streets, but want something tighter than L-Tuned. So I guess my question is, where on the Tein CS adjustment range does L-Tuned S/S compare? soft? middle? hard?

Thanks!
-pavel.
Old 06-20-06, 07:46 AM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good question, I would be interested in the same thing.
Old 06-20-06, 09:09 AM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

i have the TEIN CS - and i LOVE them! i mean.. the drop on them is perfect.. the ride comfort is better than stock (IMO) i didn't have the L-Tuned set up though..if you can, you should try to ride with someone that has TEIN CS on their GS to compare, but if you do the switch, you won't be disappointed at all! good luck on your choice
Old 06-20-06, 09:16 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by pavster
Hi, I've tried searching, but I get too much garbage. I am wondering if anyone has switched from L-Tuned setup to Tein CS, especially if it's the new Tein CS. I am now running on L-Tuned S/S, and I am not happy with the float. Don't want to go to Flex since it sounds like it will kill me on our crappy streets, but want something tighter than L-Tuned. So I guess my question is, where on the Tein CS adjustment range does L-Tuned S/S compare? soft? middle? hard?

Thanks!
-pavel.
talk to neo about it, he can tell you more. i believe he siad the tein cs (old) is stiffer than the ltuned setup. the new tein cs i would classified them as something close to the old one

if you want GOOD handling though,i would say you want flex at least. but that's too stiff for me already
Old 06-20-06, 04:00 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It has been so long I can't remember the details. I went from L-Tuned to Flex to CS (v1) so I did not have them back to back. For some reason, I actually think the CS (on the softest setting) is a bit softer than the L-Tuned . The CS is still more controlled than the L-Tuned, though.

I know there is a cost difference but I think the CS is just better than the L-Tuned in every way (handling, ride quality, lowering flexibility). From rominl's and RMMGS4's reviews, I can only imagine that the new CS continues this idea and possibly even improves on a good thing.
Old 06-20-06, 04:24 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have L-tuned and have driven vehicles with the TEIN CS. The L-tuned on my car now has no float what so ever. Especially compared to stock suspension setup. I am very pleased and decided not to go with TEiN CS even though they have more adjustability. I have taken my vehicle well into the triple digit speeds without floating like it did with stock. And taking corners are very secure and no dive, bobbing and weaving. TEIN CS are nice but for me not much of a gain imho. But someday I may get them anyway.

Last edited by nate579; 06-20-06 at 09:14 PM.
Old 06-20-06, 05:36 PM
XBS1
Driver

Well i just went from L Tuned to the NEW CS this weekend and what a diffrence. Before i couldnt even go over 100mph with out the car feeling unstable, this weekened with the new CS i was doing 120-140 on my way to palm springs no problem, almost as good as my 350Z
Old 06-20-06, 07:39 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by XBS1
Well i just went from L Tuned to the NEW CS this weekend and what a diffrence. Before i couldnt even go over 100mph with out the car feeling unstable, this weekened with the new CS i was doing 120-140 on my way to palm springs no problem, almost as good as my 350Z
What stiffness do you have them set at? How much is the car lowered from stock?
Old 06-20-06, 11:00 PM
XBS1
Driver

Full soft, go to photobucket.com and search "zpimpn" thats my GS, the most recent pictures are with the Teins the front is at the lowest setting and the rear is at the stock setting, need to lower it some more. The other pictures of the GS are with the L Tuned and front Tanabe Springs!
Old 06-21-06, 07:01 AM
pavster
Driver

nate579, I agree that compared with the stock setup, L-Tuned is much better, but still the float is there. Maybe your highways are better than what we have here or something. When I go over a ridge in the road, the car goes way up, then way down, then up, then down. Like a boat on a wave. Float.

I do like the L-Tuned setup sometimes. Like in the city. That's why I want to know where in the range of Tein CS the L-Tuned compares.

Thanks!
-pavel
Old 06-21-06, 07:06 AM
pavster
Driver

Originally Posted by XBS1
Full soft, go to photobucket.com and search "zpimpn" thats my GS, the most recent pictures are with the Teins the front is at the lowest setting and the rear is at the stock setting, need to lower it some more. The other pictures of the GS are with the L Tuned and front Tanabe Springs!
Here is a question for you. How does your GS compare to your Z now? Can you make Tein CS feel like a stock Z, say on the hardest setting? I almost bought a Z myself -- the dealer gave it to me on a two day test drive But I had to choose between the GS and the Z, and the GS won due to practicality and the V8.

-pavel.
Old 06-21-06, 07:11 AM
tmasta
Intermediate

i swtiched from l-tuned to teins a while back.. (the old CS) and i LOVED them. looked much better IMO and felt MUCH better. more solid handling, not bumpy at all (as far as lowering cars go, of coruse goin to be a little more bumpy but nto much at all) u will NOT regret dumpin the ltuned. but with suspension work its so hard to determine what "bumpy/stiff" is to one person to the next.

i dont recal what stifness i had my TEINS at.

hope that helps at all

Tony
Old 06-21-06, 10:11 AM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you may look into keeping your springs and upgrading your shocks to bilstein sport. this will take away floaty sensation. I had this setup prior to coilovers. i wanted to have the capability of raising and lowering.

do a search on bilstein sports and you'll some good reading.
Old 06-21-06, 10:39 AM
XBS1
Driver

Well my Z hasnt been stock for so long i dont really remember what it felt like, but right now its not even close, my Z has almost zero body roll, feels like its on rails. I think When i am done with my suspension mods on the GS ( Tein CS, Daizen sways, Daizen bushings, and some under braces,) it should handle as well as a stock Z, with all the stiffest settings on the GS.

Hope this helps!
Old 06-21-06, 03:03 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
It has been so long I can't remember the details. I went from L-Tuned to Flex to CS (v1) so I did not have them back to back. For some reason, I actually think the CS (on the softest setting) is a bit softer than the L-Tuned . The CS is still more controlled than the L-Tuned, though.

I know there is a cost difference but I think the CS is just better than the L-Tuned in every way (handling, ride quality, lowering flexibility). From rominl's and RMMGS4's reviews, I can only imagine that the new CS continues this idea and possibly even improves on a good thing.
So When are you coming up to drive in my car????

Those comparing old CS with L-Tuned, the comparison is not going to be the same as New-CS with L-Tuned. The new CS does not float even at the softest setting. It appears the springs are stiffer than the old CS (which is a good thing), Henry chime in here if you agree.

At the full hard setting the NEW CS will be closer to the Flex at the softer settings.

The Flex has the edge on hard core handling, but sacrifices it in noise and comfort. With my New CS, the only GS set up I would take over mine in handling would be one that had the Flex PLUS all the Toms Chassis braces, the Front & Rear STB's, adjustable sways, A- arm bushings and MOST IMPORTANT the SUPERIOR Grip of the Michelin PS2.

Tire grip accounts for a lot when we are talking handling / grip. There are probably only 2 other street tires that can handle close to the PS2. If people are running Pirelli, Conti, Kuhmo, or All season tires, then I would say it almost defeats the purpose to use the Flex without using a Premium dry grip tire. If you are hard core into handling and you don't utilize the best performance tires available, then why use the Flex, HA or otherwise?

I'm pretty happy with my set-up, for me is the best balance of handling and smooth ride. With my 25 series rear tires, I think people would be surprised how smooth my ride is with the CS.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 06-21-06 at 03:09 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: switch from L-Tuned to Tein CS