Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

suggestions on BEST way to stop Tire Wear

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-06, 06:22 AM
sursmoke
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suggestions on BEST way to stop Tire Wear

Hello fellow members...I am currently experiencing real bad tire wear on my front left inner side tire.. and after reading up I am thinking about purchasing the Daizen Bushings...I am currently living in TENNESSEE and have yet to met a person that knows much about installing parts..

To the experienced people.. would these bushings help with my tire wear? 2003 gs430 34k lowered about 1.4 with 20inch Wheels.... back tires are fine...

also ... would it be a hard DIY project if I wanted to install these myself? I am asking this because I will be getting my cross drilled rotors and new brakes installed soon...so since I will be doing that SHOULD the mechanic installing my rotors know what he is doing? or would i have to find me a lexus professional...

And if I am on the wrong path can some1 help me out

Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks
Old 06-20-06, 09:15 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

you need good alignment on top of bushings. the bushings will help stiffen things up (though your mileage is still pretty low), but alignment is the key

if they just align your car to spec, get another shop. these people have no idea what they are doing. a good shop will align your car based on your lowering and such. your camber is probably maxed out, but they will probably put in a bit more toe to compensate the camber. if they just put it under spec, or worst of all, toe out? good luck

and you can search on the daizen bushings (especially the thread i created for it). it's no easy diy to do the bushings
Old 06-20-06, 09:15 AM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

the bushings will not help the tire wear.. tire wear is due to your driving style and your camber is your car lowered? if so, there's no fixing it - if you have the stock suspension however, you should take it to an alignment shop and have them correct the camber.. good luck
Old 06-20-06, 11:51 AM
SloGS3
Pole Position

A good alignement is the key here. Camber will not affect you very much, its the toe that wears your tires. Im running 1.3 degrees of camber in the front, and 1.5 degrees in the back, and my staggred 20s are wearing fabulous! Get a good shop that knows what to do to align your car, make sure that they get the toe in as close as possible to spec, camber can be adjusted to how much you like, if its completely in spec your car will not handle as good. Also, check your alignemt often, especially if you cant rotate your tires, just to make sure its within spec. I purchased a 3 year alignment package so i can get my car aligned about every 3-4 weeks!
Old 06-20-06, 12:23 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SloGS3
A good alignement is the key here. Camber will not affect you very much, its the toe that wears your tires. Im running 1.3 degrees of camber in the front, and 1.5 degrees in the back, and my staggred 20s are wearing fabulous! Get a good shop that knows what to do to align your car, make sure that they get the toe in as close as possible to spec, camber can be adjusted to how much you like, if its completely in spec your car will not handle as good. Also, check your alignemt often, especially if you cant rotate your tires, just to make sure its within spec. I purchased a 3 year alignment package so i can get my car aligned about every 3-4 weeks!

where do you go to get a top notch alignment in south florida
Old 06-20-06, 12:32 PM
SloGS3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexforlife
where do you go to get a top notch alignment in south florida
Not sure about S. Florida! May sond strange, but i go to a Tire Kingdom! Im not saying that every Tire Kingdom will do a top notch job, but my best friend happens to be the service manager at one, and he is top notch to say the least. So every time he switches stores i switch with him. He is the best in the industry as far as sales and service go, his knowledge as far as suspensions and wheels/tires go is amazing, and he also has quite a bit of FI experience as well. So every other week i go to get my car aligned, i have to make sure that HE can do it, not the regular tire techs, i dont trust those guys! I trust this guy 110% with everything, and so far he has come through every time! If you are in the Jacksonville area, shoot me a pm ill let you know where hes at, i promise you wont be dissapointed with the service!
Old 06-20-06, 02:26 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

SloGS3. What is a good alignment spec? I have the lifetime alignment program with Firestone. They don't know too much about suspension setups, but they can get it set pretty dead onto whatever number I tell them to. How much neg camber or toe in should there be? I drive pretty aggresively and I can sacrifitce A LITTLE bit more tire wear for the sake of performance, but just not too much tirewear

You said -1.3front and -1.5back. Got some numbers for toe in? Thanks in adavance!
Old 06-20-06, 07:51 PM
sursmoke
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks

I would like to thank everyone for their input as I will be getting my new nittos and now i will go look for a good alignment shop...

One question though....what kind of questions can I ask the person doing my alignment so that I can tell if he knows what he is doing??

Thanks
Old 06-21-06, 06:30 AM
SloGS3
Pole Position

Jeff
I will get specs for toe next time i get my car aligned, which will be soon. As far as camber goes, you shouldnt have any more tire wear running 1.5 degrees of camber, will help in the twisties however! Are you running a staggered set up or just the regular?

Last edited by SloGS3; 06-21-06 at 06:33 AM.
Old 06-21-06, 06:50 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

is it both front and rear or just front thats wearing out?

the reason i ask is becasue if ur cross caster is off your car is slightly drifting to the left or right... and in your case its drifting to the right.
Old 06-21-06, 07:28 PM
sursmoke
Driver School Candidate

Yes my car is drifting to the right a bit...can u elaborate more on the cross caster...like how i can fix it...

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks