Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Need Advice, Suspension feels bouncy!

Old 06-05-06, 11:58 PM
XBS1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice, Suspension feels bouncy!

Hey guys, I need some help on what i need to do with my suspension, What is happening is that my car feels very bouncy after dips, I dont know if my shocks are bad, Also it gets worse when i fill the car up with people. Here is what I have:

2002 GS 300
Spare Tires + 2 10" W3s and 2 JL Amps and crossovers ( easily extra 100lbs plus the tire is still there)

L Tuned Shocks front and rear

Tanabe Springs in the front and L tuned springs in the rear

Reason i put tanabes in the front is because the front was very high with the ltuned and the back was very low as it still is now. I purchase the L tuned shocks and springs used from a local member.

I am running 20" wheels with 255/30/20 tires, Very close to same O.D. as stock.

I need to know a good shock spring combo that will give me a good ride for a lowered vehicle. But for the ride hieght I like I probally will have to go with Coilovers.

So which coil overs alow you to slam your car and still have a good ride?

Thanks everyone for your input!

--George

PS. Pics would be great of diffrent setups!
Old 06-06-06, 06:05 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Suspension "bounce" is usually due to worn shocks. I would suspect your used shocks are tired.

Remove the shock and manually operate it. Feel for a slippage in the shock resistance; both expanding and compressing the shock in a vice.. Also, check for a loss of nitrogen gas pressurizing the shock.

Check for a shock warranty. I personally had installed Bilsteins, and after a call to the US supplier, they sent me a new set of four on request. New rubber bushings were also sent to complete the installation. Additionally, they sent the shipping labels to send the old ones back in the new boxes. The originals had over two hundred thousand miles on them. .
Old 06-06-06, 03:29 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

your car keeps bouncing up and down since the energy in the springs isn't being adequately dampened by the shock anymore.

Since those shocks were used, more than likely they are the culprit and will need replacement
Old 06-06-06, 08:33 PM
XBS1
Driver

So is it ok to run diffrent brand springs from the front and rear as long as the shocks are good?

Thanks!

-George

PS> What shocks should i get, It seems like Bilsteins are the best, whats a good place to get them?
Old 06-07-06, 05:09 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Two different spring types should be transparent. The shocks should match on all four corners.
Try the Bilstein web site.....http://www.bilstein.com/mistore/ymm_...&storedimg.y=5
Old 06-07-06, 05:32 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

no it is not alright to run with different branded springs

you have different spring rates and different quality materials front and back.. your ride will be different for the setup is unmatched dynamically