Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

how to paint brake calibers

Old 05-01-06, 01:38 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Default how to paint brake calibers

whats up everybody I know I have asked this ? before but I can't find it anywhere but can you guys help with either some links or tell me how to paint my calibers. thanks.
Old 05-01-06, 01:46 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you comfortable removing the calipers from the car? This would be the most thorough way.

If not, mask off everything around the calipers with newspaper or something similarly disposable. You might also (as a safety precaution) put a car cover on (if you have one) to avoid any possibility of overspray landing on the car body.

Then just paint and READ THE INSTRUCTIONS one the can about multiple coat. If you are planning multiple coats, wait time between coats is very important. If you are planning to put on stickers and clear, it is best to wait until the color is dried and ready to be "handled". Then just put the sticker on and paint on the clear.
Old 05-01-06, 09:28 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the way i did it :

mask everything off and get brake parts cleaner and clean it really well - i used a whole bottle (4 calipers) and a wire brush.. after i sprayed it with black (about 5-6 coats if i remember correctly) and you have to let each coat dry before applying another coat on top of it, then i applied my lexus decals and let that stick well and then applied 4 or so coats of clear and that's it - the black paint and clear were both engine enamel 500 degree aerosol.

here's pics of my set-up:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=200532
Old 05-01-06, 09:32 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

much easier way to AVOID all the masking is to use the DUPLICOLOR CALIPER PAINT KIT i used on mine...it comes as a full kit with cleaner, paint and sealer all in one, and the paint is BRUSH on, which means you can precisely fill all the spots on the calipers, and not have to mask off or cover a damn thing....also, if youre paranoid there are step by step instructions in the kit...which only costs about $10-15 bucks for the whole thing and can be found at your local advance auto parts store, pep boys, etc...or just order it online search for the product in froogle and itll come right up..they have a bunch of different colors. good luck
Old 05-01-06, 09:38 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

just a note on that Duplicolor Brush on kit - my friend used that route while i did the aerosol route and other than the brush on kit takes 24hrs. to properly cure, it also chips off faster and in bigger chunks (mine only have small knicks in the clear) and we both painted our calipers at the same time.. just a heads up
Old 05-02-06, 12:34 PM
DSM2GS400
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The peeling of your friends calipers is not due to the quality of the paint but more than likely improper cleaning/prep before painting.
If done properly the paint should never chip.
Old 05-02-06, 12:48 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DSM2GS400
The peeling of your friends calipers is not due to the quality of the paint but more than likely improper cleaning/prep before painting.
If done properly the paint should never chip.
yup. ill also be using an extra can of clear after this stuff sets up and dries because im going to put the caliper stickers on then clear over them
Old 05-02-06, 05:03 PM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Study what you can see between the spokes/webs of the wheel and only paint what is visibile.

Keep in mind brake fluid will eat the paint so keep it away from the back side. And who ever (when ever) messes with the brake fluid will have to keep wet fingers/glove away for the painted area.

Salim
Old 05-02-06, 07:36 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used G2 caliper paint. Just removed the wheels, cleaned the brakes and then brushed the paint on. It works great and has held on quite strong. It was very easy to use and the results were great. I would recommend it highly for those that dont want to worry about overspray or masking a bunch of stuff off
Old 05-02-06, 07:55 PM
chrisleX
Pole Position

Duplicolor , just removed the wheels and use the brush included in the kit ! G2 comes with 2 solutions which have to be mixed together - i found several G2 kits with either one solution dried out
Attached Thumbnails how to paint brake calibers-gs151.jpg  
Old 05-02-06, 09:49 PM
Lyrical
Lead Lap

What i did when i did mine....

Took off the wheel and masked everything off.

Than applied 3 coats of white. Than, Applied three coats of Red. Than 3 coats of clear coat.

The White to Red definately made it alot brighter.

Just my .02
Old 05-03-06, 01:37 AM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I went with the G2 also. Its been great thus far
Old 05-03-06, 05:47 AM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

I also used G2 and it has held-up very well - no chipping at all. As Rich stated, it was very easy to use, too, since you brush it on. Definitely recommended.
Old 05-03-06, 09:44 AM
vicestan
Lead Lap

A little of topic but wouldnt painting the calipers cause higher heat build up? what is the heat transfer with these paints?
Old 05-03-06, 09:56 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

Also used G2.

The little can contains enough to do as many coats as you like; I did four and had plenty of paint left. A wire brush is a must for preparation. Main advantage to G2: no need to mask or remove calipers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how to paint brake calibers