Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tein CS coilovers are here, install soon

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-06, 02:28 AM
My98-400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Tein CS coilovers are here, install soon

Hello Everyone,

Just recived my coilovers, and planning to install soon.

It looks like the CS coilovers are pretty much set up to install out of the box, any tips or anything about when I install them?

With all my other cars, I have always just bought and installed springs, which in my mind seems like more work then switching stock set up to a coilover set up. With the CS I won't need a spring compressor right, just unbolt stock, bolt in new?

Hardest part seems to be adjusting the ride height by taking off and on tires. Should I leave the coil overs where there set at stock when I install them? Or try to adjust before, im thinking install them and see where its at, then adjust from there.

I will take pics of before and after, (even though everyone hates my wheels ) Hoping to do this soon, but want some tips or advice. Is this easier then a spring switch? It took me about 4hrs to do my springs in my Evo. No air tools, just elbow grease. Im thinking about the same amount of time for this too (with time for problems, hopefully none, but never know) I work in the afternoon, so trying to plan on doing this if I can get up early before work. But might just wait till the weekend.

Thanks in advance for any tips/info you can share.

PS My SRT intake W/ECU arrived today as well
Old 03-22-06, 05:54 PM
rwheelz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got mine as well, from the looks of the suspension forum the group buy Tein CS have shipped out all over!

I am also wondering about height, they came from tein set really low, and I want to lower only like 1/2" from stock height, should I adjust them all the way to the top to accomplish this?

Also, are most of you guys corner weighting it to adjust the height, or measuring the stock height ratio (front to rear) and lowering each end appropriately?
Old 03-24-06, 10:13 AM
gau17
Driver

One thing you need to do is make sure they are all at the same height once you get your final height.

Turn the adjustment ring for example 8-10 turns on the coil overs. put the tires on and drive the car around to let it settle. Measure. If it's still low turn again until the desired height is acheived. If its too high then rotate the other direction.

Use white out to mark the rings as a reference point . Count the revolutions each time the mark comes to the same spot.
Old 03-24-06, 08:36 PM
My98-400
Rookie

UPDATE:

Just got done with install, went ok. Took me about 6hrs. No air tools :sad If I did it again, probably only 4 knowing what to do to this car now. :

But looks pretty good. Oh and if your worried about being to low, LOL it was higher then stock after I installed them. About 3&1/2 fingers after.

I turned coil overs all the way down, now looks good, Tires are almost tucked under, front passenger tire is little lower then rest, but simple fix, I'll need to adjust a little tomorrow, but its dark out and im hungry lol.

I'll post some before and after pics tomorrow as well. And talk about an alignment, its SO needs one rims are like /====\

But overall
Old 03-25-06, 07:01 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

If you can wait on the alignment I would. Over the next week or so the suspension will settle. Great purchase, you definately wont regret the CS
Old 03-25-06, 02:28 PM
My98-400
Rookie

Here a few pics:

BEFORE
Attached Thumbnails Tein CS coilovers are here, install soon-before.jpg  
Old 03-25-06, 02:31 PM
My98-400
Rookie

AFTER pic below much better imo

( I did the DIY chrome grill too, hard to see in after pic though Oh ya and added the clear conrners )
Attached Thumbnails Tein CS coilovers are here, install soon-edit-after.jpg  

Last edited by My98-400; 03-25-06 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-25-06, 02:32 PM
tone
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the drop is nice, good job.... now lets get rid of those rims and create a staggered monster.
Old 03-25-06, 05:40 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sooo much improved Yes staggered rims should be next buddy
Old 03-25-06, 05:47 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

That drop looks great. You are riding low
Old 03-25-06, 06:05 PM
rwheelz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by My98-400
UPDATE:

But looks pretty good. Oh and if your worried about being to low, LOL it was higher then stock after I installed them. About 3&1/2 fingers after.

I turned coil overs all the way down, now looks good, Tires are almost tucked under, front passenger tire is little lower then rest, but simple fix, I'll need to adjust a little tomorrow, but its dark out and im hungry lol.
Any advice on the install? From glancing at my car is seems pretty straight forward, but it isn't like I have a lift or any air tools!

Did you initially install them the way they came? Mine came set pretty low on the threads (more than half way down). Your before/after pics, is 'before' after installing the coils but before lowering them, or before installing the coils?
Old 03-26-06, 03:32 AM
My98-400
Rookie

Originally Posted by rwheelz
Any advice on the install? From glancing at my car is seems pretty straight forward, but it isn't like I have a lift or any air tools!

Did you initially install them the way they came? Mine came set pretty low on the threads (more than half way down). Your before/after pics, is 'before' after installing the coils but before lowering them, or before installing the coils?

Hmm, both front and rears take some time, there is a more then just unbolting the stock assymbley area, more bolts required to undo, I can post some pics if you need me to, I dont have any on hand . I had no air tools or lift either, just jack and jack stands. Need to undo a few parts to get complete strut out. Not the control arm, but below ... kinda where shock bolts to car, undo bolts and let it swing down outta way so you can remove it. So more work then normaly required on my part. All other cars i have done, no need to do this extra work,

And I installed them as they came in box so yes they where about half way down or so, and it was not even lowered, actually looked higher then stock. I have them at full drop now, all the way down at bottom of threads. If you don't want that much of a drop, I would suggest taking them half way between where they came and bottom, its a lot easier to turn down threads then going up, GL

PS sorry if spelling, grammer is bad, its late and my eyes hurt lol
Old 03-26-06, 03:33 AM
My98-400
Rookie

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
If you can wait on the alignment I would. Over the next week or so the suspension will settle. Great purchase, you definately wont regret the CS
Good point, there already dropping down more so then the pic, might need to raise up a little.
Old 04-01-06, 08:43 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats! Nice car. I love my CS.
The rims must go though.
Old 04-02-06, 01:37 PM
My98-400
Rookie

Ok, Im getting tired of the "Get some new rims", "Rims gotta go" etc etc. You dont like fine, I really dont give a F. Unless your going to buy me some, shut the hell up. Ban me, don't like me etc. I dont care. You dont know me.

Quick Reply: Tein CS coilovers are here, install soon