Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

front right brake caliper piston stuck

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-06, 03:43 AM
sung35
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default front right brake caliper piston stuck

Does anyone has problem with brake caliper being stuck?

I have a 2000 GS400 55K miles, and one of my front right brake caliper piston was stuck. I meant I could not use the C-clamb to flush it with the caliper body . Is it normal to have a caliper piston failed at 55K miles? Does anyone know what would have cause it? I replaced the front brake pads October of last year 2005. Everything looked normal then. Some water might have leak into the caliper? The brake fluid level still at the same level as when I replaced the pad, so I don't think the system is leaking. I will order a brake caliper to replace it, but want to be sure that the problem won't arise again.

Thanks ClubLexus genie,

Sung
Old 02-06-06, 06:44 AM
sung35
Lead Lap

I just called Lexus dealer in Rockville, MD and the cost for the right front caliper is $385+tax. Anyone here knows the part number so I can call Toyota to see if they have one for cheapper? Thanks.
Old 02-06-06, 07:13 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check to see if you caught the boot with the new pads and tore it. If so, salt and crud has entered the bore and ruined it. Replacement is necessary.
I always use a small wood block against the piston face with the C-clamp when pressing the pistons back, insuring the press is on the same angle as the bore. Then press gently, allowing the the piston to press out the brake fluid while aligning itself in the bore. Without a block, you may have "tilted" the piston in the bore and jammed it while pressing it.
Lastly, I would have a dealer replace it, since you have to remove the brake line to the caliper. They have the service tool that runs the Anti-lock Brake pump, allowing complete bleeding of the brake system. I would have them check the left front piston boots while they are in the system. Pay now or later.
The brake caliper may not be a shared part with toyota, as you have a GS 400.
Old 02-06-06, 07:29 AM
sung35
Lead Lap

thank Tammy for your response. I don't think the boot was damaged because there was no brake fluid leaked. However, you might be right about the piston. I didn't use the wooden block when pressing with C-clamp.

Local import part here wants $80 for a rebuild+core trade. What do you think, yeah, neah?

Bleeding the system is not a difficult task to accomplish. I rather do it myself to save money.
Old 02-06-06, 09:02 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

If you caught the boot, it may not have affected the O-ring seal of the piston. So, no leaks would occur. If the damage is done; rain, salt and snow will migrate into the piston, rusting the bore. Then it leaks fluid, but usually first sucks air into the system. Additionally, the pads may fail to retract from the rotor properly, resulting in permature or unequal pad wear.

Your Lexus has Dot 3 brake fluid installed, the toyota dealer brand is reasonable and matches what was originally installed. If you want to try bleeding yourself, "Insure" you have someone constantly filling the brake reservoir; someone else on the brake pedal, a third on the bleeder screw. If you let it suck air, you'll never be able to get the air out... Back to air in the ABS pump problems again.

While open, I would use a little "CRC brand" brake caliper grease and smear a thin coat on the pad back, both sides of the shims and where the pad meets the caliper stainless steel clips on upper and lower points. This will prevent any brake squeel. The caliper grease is available in both pints and small single packs. This is synthetic, extremely high temp grease will not melt or migrate to the brake pad to rotor surfaces. It's also designed to lubricate the bolts and slides on your calipers. Best of luck on whatever you decide.
Old 02-06-06, 09:54 AM
sung35
Lead Lap

Thanks Tammy. Definite a two persons in doing the brake bleeding. The brake reservoir is large enough to hold a 10 pumps from the brake pedel.

From your experience, what should I buy: $385 brand new from Lexus or $80 rebuild from a well known part store? Lexus has the new one in stock. The rebuild one from part store is a special order from MA warehouse/manufacture. I prefer the $80 (much cheaper), but plan to keep the car for a while (few years), and not sure if the rebuild is good enough.

Thanks, again.
Old 02-06-06, 10:19 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

If I was in your situation, keeping in mind you're from Maryland, if at all possible get the new one from Lexus. You're assured of high quality and proper assembly. Three hundred is a big difference, but I wouldn't want to do the job again with a questionable important part. It is the front brakes afterall. ... Note, I grew up in Harmons, Md. ..in Tucson now, miss the blue fin crab.
Old 02-06-06, 10:29 AM
sung35
Lead Lap

You just cost me some serious money . Just kidding. Thanks for your input. And thanh you for reminding me of how much life is worth compare to money. Pick the new brake caliper from Lexus in Silver Spring, MD tonight
Old 02-06-06, 10:44 AM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PErhaps your caliper bolt rusted over...
I got this problem with 3 of my 4 calipers. and i gotta replace all 4 calipers
Old 02-06-06, 11:14 AM
sung35
Lead Lap

Xe, thank you for your response. Which bolts are you regarding to? The caliper is held by two bolts, one upper and one lower. Is this what you are talking about? I don't think it has anything to do with the piston inside the caliper. Anyway, the two bolts upper and lower were not rust at all. Actually it sill has the silver color coat on them. I don't think I want to replace all 4 right now ==> about $400 per caliper. I rather buy performance brake system with that money.
Old 02-18-06, 09:12 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

you can goto like autozone or any well known autoparts store... they'll give u a fair price with trade in of your old caliper
Old 02-18-06, 05:59 PM
WillieGS3
Driver

https://www.autopartsworld.com/customer_support.asp

cheaper here...