Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Newbie with 2 questions 02 GS430 brakes and suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-06, 02:42 PM
DAVZgs430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie with 2 questions 02 GS430 brakes and suspension

Newbie here. Tried to read and get some ideas, but thought I would just throw out a couple of questions. I have a 2002 GS430. I just put on a set of 18" stagered L-Tune wheels.

I need to replace the brakes and wanted to know what would be the easiest and low cost solutions. I am getting a shake on hard braking so I guessing I will need to replace the rotors. Thinking about replacing the calipers as with the new wheels I can put on bigger ones and want something that looks cooler. Have read about the Supra TT's and LS calipers, but do not understand which is the easiest and least cost. Also need ot know what kind of pads and what size/type of rotors. Should I just paint the stock calipers, turn the rotors, and replace the pads?

Second, when hitting any sizable bumps, the drivers rear dips lower then the passenger rear and causes the car to kinda roll. Should I just get a newer set of shocks? Replace springs and shocks? Again, not looking to spend lots of cash, but also want a good ride and performance.

I really do not drive the car hard at all.

Any suggestions? Also, if you could help with complete details on how and what I need to do.

Thanks
Old 01-16-06, 03:31 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DAVZgs430
Newbie here. Tried to read and get some ideas, but thought I would just throw out a couple of questions. I have a 2002 GS430. I just put on a set of 18" stagered L-Tune wheels.

I need to replace the brakes and wanted to know what would be the easiest and low cost solutions. I am getting a shake on hard braking so I guessing I will need to replace the rotors. Thinking about replacing the calipers as with the new wheels I can put on bigger ones and want something that looks cooler. Have read about the Supra TT's and LS calipers, but do not understand which is the easiest and least cost. Also need ot know what kind of pads and what size/type of rotors. Should I just paint the stock calipers, turn the rotors, and replace the pads?

Second, when hitting any sizable bumps, the drivers rear dips lower then the passenger rear and causes the car to kinda roll. Should I just get a newer set of shocks? Replace springs and shocks? Again, not looking to spend lots of cash, but also want a good ride and performance.

I really do not drive the car hard at all.

Any suggestions? Also, if you could help with complete details on how and what I need to do.

Thanks
It all really depends on how much you have/want to spend. The least expensive option would be to paint the stock calipers, maybe add a Lexus decal, turn the rotors or if they are getting close to be out of spec replace them with something like Brembo or Rotora or StopTech. You could get X - drilled and or slotted, and something with a finish on the top hat so you wouldn't have any rust issues. New pads would be a relativley inexpensive way to improve over stock and while you're at it, replace the brakes lines with braided stainless steel for improved response and pedal feel. About $110 for brake lines, maybe the same for improved pads, $300-400 for drilled rotors, $25 for caliper paint. If you go for bigger brakes, plan on spending a lot more. New shocks, springs, lower the stance and adding beefier swaybars will make a huge difference for the better in ride and handling. Where in Cali are you located?
Old 01-16-06, 03:46 PM
DAVZgs430
Driver School Candidate

I am in the SF Bay Area. I saw that irotors has an auction on eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus...spagenameZWD1V for a complete kit, or http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus...spagenameZWD1V for just the rotors. I am pretty sure I will need to replace the rotors. I do like the larger size of the bigger brake calipers though. Just not sure I totally understand how to install or what modifications will be needed for the LS or Supra calipers.

The suspension is something that I really want to do as well. Nothing really serious, but I dont like the roll and sway when I hit any bumps. It can be pretty distracting to have the driver rear to drop so much lower than the rear passenger side. I saw a set of new TRD's in the classifieds here but it says they are for GS400's. Will they fit on my GS430?

As for the paint, any high heat paint should be okay? As long as the calipers are good and clean it should work right?

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-16-06, 05:09 PM
BC-GS430
Lexus Test Driver

Dave,

Did you have the vibration before you changed the wheels? If not if could be that the wheels were not mounted on the car flush. I'll tell you one thing, once you go BBK you won't go back. But it will cost you, supra brakes cost about half that of aftermarket BBK such as Stoptech or Rotora. Just remember the supra calipers are huge, make sure they clear your wheels.
Old 01-16-06, 05:30 PM
DAVZgs430
Driver School Candidate

Is did the shake before I swithced the wheels away from the chrome 17" 5 star wheels.

The new wheels are huge and are made to clear the BBK calipers. Just dont know what I have to do to install them is my biggest concern, and when I do install them, what else do I need to install them. Any specific year I should look for Supra TT? Also, then what pads do I get? Do they bolt directly up? Same questions for the LS calipers.
Old 01-16-06, 08:34 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

FYI: The L-Tuned Salina 18s will NOT clear the Supra TT nor the LS calipers. You can fit the 4-piston kits from Brembo, StopTech, and Rotora.
Old 01-16-06, 08:54 PM
DAVZgs430
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Neo
FYI: The L-Tuned Salina 18s will NOT clear the Supra TT nor the LS calipers. You can fit the 4-piston kits from Brembo, StopTech, and Rotora.
They are not the Salina's, but rather the MKII GS430.

Supposed to fit BBK's?
Attached Thumbnails Newbie with 2 questions 02 GS430 brakes and suspension-mkii-gs430-wheels.jpg  
Old 01-16-06, 09:37 PM
Neo
The One

Supposed to fit BBK's?
The pic you posted is of the L-Tuned OZ Salina 18" wheels. I had these once upon a time. Lexus used the same wheels for the Euro GS430 Sports. They just used different tire specs.

And I say again, Supra and LS calipers will not fit. Sorry. You do have other BBK options as I listed above, though.
Old 01-16-06, 09:45 PM
DAVZgs430
Driver School Candidate

my bad!

thx for the info, I guess I will have to check into the other BBK's or just paint the O***s on it now.
Old 01-17-06, 05:36 AM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Supposed to fit BBK's?
Did you get the car from Canada. It has the euro side markers and the headlight washers. I'm wondering if you have the power folding mirrors also. Welcome to the club by the way.
Old 01-17-06, 08:01 AM
DAVZgs430
Driver School Candidate

the black car above is not mine, just was just used to show what wheels I had put on my car.
Old 01-17-06, 02:03 PM
Neo
The One

StopTech 355

Old 01-26-06, 06:07 PM
WillieGS3
Driver

Neo,

What size wheel you have on this 355 ST BBK and ofset?
Old 01-26-06, 07:57 PM
Neo
The One

In the pic, that is the L-Tuned O.Z. Salinas 18x8 +45.
Old 01-27-06, 12:17 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yeah i would highly recommend stoptech. some very good stuff man