Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

noise when i brake at low speeds

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-06, 10:31 PM
ShaneC
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noise when i brake at low speeds

i have 80,000 miles on my gs 400. i have noticed a clicking noise when i step of the brakes. it happens after i back my car out in the morning and when i drive up the the first intersection. when i slow down for the intercsection to check for cars, i hear the click noise.. sounds like 2 of them. i don't know whats making the noise. the noise comes from the front end.

my gs also has some steering chatter when i brake sometimes a different speeds. but when i step on the brakes hard.. i goes away.

i was thinking maybe its the bushings.. or ball joints so i took my car to a friends shop and lifted it up and took a look at it. they looked fine.. just alittle dirty.
i also checked the front rotors by spinning the wheel to see if they would scrap and stop randonly. to see if maybe their warped. the wheels spun fine.

does anyone else hear a click noise when they come close to a complete stop usually when u just start the car up after its been sitting there for a few hrs.?

Last edited by ShaneC; 01-11-06 at 10:36 PM.
Old 05-01-06, 08:26 PM
Eric00GS3
Driver

I have this problem too. First thing in the morning, the first time I apply the brakes there is a clicking or knocking sound from the front left side. It only does it once and is fine the rest of the day.

ShaneC, did you ever find out what the issue was?

Or does anyone else has any ideas?
Old 05-01-06, 09:07 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

It could be a bad ball joint, but more likely than not, it's simply your brake pads shifting a bit. This is a well-documented issue with the GS, and I think it can be corrected with what's called a shim kit. My car does the same thing in the morning, and I'm no expert when it comes to the fix, but I do know that it's pretty normal and other than having to listen to the clicks, it shouldn't cause you any trouble.

Anyone else?
Old 05-01-06, 09:18 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

i have that sound too, nothing serious - don't stress
Old 05-01-06, 10:27 PM
Eric00GS3
Driver

Great, thanks for the info. Good to know it's not a big/expensive issue. I searched for the shim kits and they seem pretty straight forward. My brakes are needing to be changed soon, so I guess that would be a good time to do the shims too.
Old 05-02-06, 01:01 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

For some reason, I thought there was a tsb for this.
Old 05-02-06, 12:02 PM
GUNRU-GS4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PHML
For some reason, I thought there was a tsb for this.
Your right! I did so much research on how to do rotors and pads myself a couple months ago I came across it here on CL.

It's called a "fit kit". I had the part# saved on my computer at work but the hard drive burnt up a couple weeks ago and I lost the info.
Old 05-02-06, 12:13 PM
ShaneC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Eric00GS3
I have this problem too. First thing in the morning, the first time I apply the brakes there is a clicking or knocking sound from the front left side. It only does it once and is fine the rest of the day.

ShaneC, did you ever find out what the issue was?

Or does anyone else has any ideas?
i never got it fixed but i don't notice it any more( i dont even know if the noise is still there) but i do notice a light squeaking noise from my tein CS in the rear... haha..
Old 05-02-06, 06:17 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

First of all, its not really a problem just how it was designed. The noise of the brake pads moving around in the mounts. There is maybe a few millimeters on the left and right side of the place where the pad mounts in. You will hear that click every time you change directions....back/foward. It's just the sound of the brakepad moving to the front/back of the mount. I'm guessing the main reason they designed it this way so that the brake pads would be easier to change? Another possible reason is if you really jam the brakes and everything heats up....the metal will expand and the few mm room is in there so nothing will crack. Highly doubtful on the second possibility because to reach the temp required for metal to expand is up in the thousands. Only those new carbon-composite brakes can get up to those operating temps.