Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

whyyyy still SO SQUEEEEEKY?! 98 GS400

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-06, 09:34 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default whyyyy still SO SQUEEEEEKY?! 98 GS400

hey guys..i had stock rotors and pads on my 98 gs400, 50k miles...always squeeked like crazy under light braking, going around 20/30mph then slowly stopping it was LOUD...under hard breaking never did it... i said to hell with it, bought new oem replacement brembo rotors for all 4 corners...as well as satisfied pro ceramic pads (hyped up like crazy on tirerack for the whole less brake dust/no squeak factor) and also threw on some goodrich SS lines...anyway... squeeking is back, exact same situation with the speed that it happens..and if i hit the brakes real hard once when i first start driving..it wont do it under any condition for a little while...i know all the pad shims and everything are on..nothings pitted up, i had it all checked out again since the install..what can i do to MAKE IT STOP ITS DRIVING ME FREAKIN NUTTTTTTTTS

LOL please HELP!

mike
Old 01-03-06, 09:38 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

hELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP! KITTENS EARS EVERYWHERE ARE BEING DESTROYED AND ITS ALL BECAUSE OF ME!
Attached Thumbnails whyyyy still SO SQUEEEEEKY?! 98 GS400-16516075-21cd-016601c2-.jpg  
Old 01-03-06, 10:03 AM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you put lots of "anti-sqeel" on both sides of the shims??? The shims are what causes sqeeling. Just a thought....
Old 01-03-06, 10:03 AM
Vette Boy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by upstateGS4
...i know all the pad shims and everything are on....
You're sure you have the shims and the springs, the OEM ones? The reason why I ask is I did a brake job DIY last month, I didn't notice the shims at first and almost left them off. With all the factory shims and springs, and cheapo $25 pads I have no squeaks, nothing, just smooooth brakes.
Old 01-03-06, 10:09 AM
Vette Boy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AZDesertGS
Did you put lots of "anti-sqeel" on both sides of the shims???
Did you use anti-squeal sauce? I didn't use any because the Lexus Factory Service Manual didn't say anything about it. On my GM and Ford cars in the past the manuals specifically called for it, but not Lexus.

Also this guy didn't use any anti squeal (the old LS has the same ft brakes as a GS):

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/brake/fbpad.html
Old 01-03-06, 11:00 AM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

did you put in some anti squeal grease?

doh someone beat me to it lol.
Old 01-03-06, 11:01 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Vette Boy
Did you use anti-squeal sauce? I didn't use any because the Lexus Factory Service Manual didn't say anything about it. On my GM and Ford cars in the past the manuals specifically called for it, but not Lexus.

Also this guy didn't use any anti squeal (the old LS has the same ft brakes as a GS):

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/brake/fbpad.html

my mechanic did use the anti squeal even though he told me it wasnt necessary i had him do it anyway...i was standing in the garage watching him do the work and i saw him transfer over the shims from the stock pads...so im really clueless as to why its still doing this
Old 01-03-06, 11:26 AM
Vette Boy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by upstateGS4
...so im really clueless as to why its still doing this
I see two choices, live with it and see if it gets better (never has for me) or go back in and change something. If you go with the 2nd choice, I'd go with the factory recipe exactly: factory shoes, all the shims/springs (maybe even new shims), no anti squeal, turn the rotors (or just get new ones if they're close to used up). I've learned the hard way and now I follow the Field Service Manual exactly, esp with front brakes, everytime I free-lance I get squeaky brakes.
Old 01-03-06, 12:44 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

My es 300 does the same thing... soft braking they squeak and hard braking they don't.. My mechanic told me that it was the materials of the pads and rotors.. I got them from NAPA so they weren't lexus brand.. anyway i was just looking for a cheap replacement so this is what i ended up with... Good Luck... BTW i have slotted brembos with ebc pads on the GS.. and no squeal... Sounds like you have some troubleshooting to do..
Old 01-03-06, 03:10 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Drill those rotors

When everything else fails, drill the rotors, but don't taper the holes. My old motorcycle had a tendency to squeal regardless of shims and grease, and drilled rotors cured the problem 100%. I had the OEM rotors drilled at a machine shop that did that kind of work. I forget what the theory was for the holes to stop the squealing--something to do with superheated air trapped between the rotor and the pads, I think. But I'm sure that Google can shed some light. Good luck.