Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

TEIN basic, CS, or springs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-05, 09:39 PM
nysupraman
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Question TEIN basic, CS, or springs? some HELPP?

well it seems as thought i might replace my SC with another one of course and i want to make sure i get things done the way i really want this time around. anyways i really hate how low my car rides with my espelir tokico combo, i mean it looks great! but it takes too much work to make wheels fit right, and drive ever so carefully. after going through all the threads, i kind of got more confused as to what suspension setup to get. i am planning on switching my 19s on the other car, and i definetly dont want to drop more than an inch (rubbing issues, camber kit, etc problems), so i ask:

1. TEIN basic might be more of my budget, as i would probably spend the same on a springs and shocks, but are they really as harsh as some people say? i couldnt imagine anything harsher than my combo right now

2. as far as adjustability, how do you actually adjust the height on these coilovers? (without EDFC or manually), ive never had any to experience from. also what is the range of height adjustability on the basics?

3. TEIN CS is definetly the comfort i want, but the price i cant afford, should i ride 4 x 4 and wait on these?

4. should i just get eibachs and drop it an inch? (strut replacement with tokico's) i heard bad things about noises coming from eibachs also, and being an uneven drop on both sides, is this true with all?

5. searching through the archives, leads me to believe carson toyota would be the best place to get TEIN basics, correct?

sorry folks im kind of confused, and would appreciate the help, advanced planning never hurts. i plan on selling my current SC within the next month and replace it with a 97+ black interior hopefully (crossed fingers)

Last edited by nysupraman; 12-31-05 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-31-05, 03:27 PM
nysupraman
Racer

anyone with TEIN basics????? feedback please
Old 12-31-05, 04:46 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may change your mind about the ride height. Thats why coilovers are great.

I'm not gonna bother posting pics up because I've had it at lots of different heights. The Tein Basics can adjust from about 0"-4" down. What more do you need for a full coilover at an affordable price!
Old 12-31-05, 04:47 PM
SoarerJzz3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Tien Cs and I'm pretty happy with them, got em new for a good price too. I'd go with coilovers for sure since you can adjust your ride height.

Here's pic of mine, they're set on the factory settings. I'll probably lower the front a little more.
Old 01-03-06, 01:44 PM
bcp_sc300

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i say go for the TEIN SS all the way, drop all the way down and the ride is not bad at all

Old 01-03-06, 03:34 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

If you really want TEIN CS keep saving up for them.
Old 01-03-06, 04:14 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nysupraman
well it seems as thought i might replace my SC with another one of course and i want to make sure i get things done the way i really want this time around. anyways i really hate how low my car rides with my espelir tokico combo, i mean it looks great! but it takes too much work to make wheels fit right, and drive ever so carefully. after going through all the threads, i kind of got more confused as to what suspension setup to get. i am planning on switching my 19s on the other car, and i definetly dont want to drop more than an inch (rubbing issues, camber kit, etc problems), so i ask:

1. TEIN basic might be more of my budget, as i would probably spend the same on a springs and shocks, but are they really as harsh as some people say? i couldnt imagine anything harsher than my combo right now

2. as far as adjustability, how do you actually adjust the height on these coilovers? (without EDFC or manually), ive never had any to experience from. also what is the range of height adjustability on the basics?

3. TEIN CS is definetly the comfort i want, but the price i cant afford, should i ride 4 x 4 and wait on these?

4. should i just get eibachs and drop it an inch? (strut replacement with tokico's) i heard bad things about noises coming from eibachs also, and being an uneven drop on both sides, is this true with all?

5. searching through the archives, leads me to believe carson toyota would be the best place to get TEIN basics, correct?

sorry folks im kind of confused, and would appreciate the help, advanced planning never hurts. i plan on selling my current SC within the next month and replace it with a 97+ black interior hopefully (crossed fingers)
Tein Basic coilovers are a bit stiffer than Tokico or OEM struts and Eibach or Espelir springs. The trade-off is height adjustability and less body roll while cornering. To me the trade-off is worth it.

You adjust them with the adjustment tool (wrench) that Tein provides with the coilovers. Looks like a metal hook.

Tein CS's are too soft according to the couple of people I know who have/had them. Concensus seems to say that the Tein Flex coilover is the perfect blend of performance and handling without being too soft or too stiff.

I have Eibach's on my car and I have no noise from them. Perhaps it's an installation issue with people who are hearing noise?

My advice would be to save up and get Tein Flex
Old 01-03-06, 08:23 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My best advice on the ride issue is to see if you can track down locals with these setups. What different people can tolerate and want varies. What I consider stiff may be too soft for you (and vice versa). You just never know.

I realize this may be easier said than done but for such an investment and change to your car, it is worth a try.
Old 01-03-06, 09:17 PM
nysupraman
Racer

Originally Posted by Neo
My best advice on the ride issue is to see if you can track down locals with these setups. What different people can tolerate and want varies. What I consider stiff may be too soft for you (and vice versa). You just never know.

I realize this may be easier said than done but for such an investment and change to your car, it is worth a try.

good advice, thanks