Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
View Poll Results: Does your SC have crappy handling?
Yes
47.30%
No
52.70%
Voters: 444. You may not vote on this poll

Does your SC have crappy handling?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-06, 06:04 AM
TeamDX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine handles absolutely amazing. Ive owned a lot of cars (Z32tt, FD3s, JZA80tt, etc), and my SC feels very stable and smooth during turns. I dont have much done, HKS Hypermax Coilovers, Daizen Camber Kit (essentially all 4 control arm bushings are new), and wider wheels/tires (8.5/9.5). It is very low however. It handles incredibly well for its size and weight. I have a lot of confidence in it, which i DEFINETLY didnt have in most of the other cars ive owned.
Old 04-14-06, 01:47 PM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

My 1992 SC400 handles very well, new lower supra control arms and bushings, wider tires, 1" drop with the crapy EIbachs springs and tokimo shocks it does handle very well, however the suspension feel is a different story... Coilovers coming soon...
Old 04-22-06, 06:47 PM
ISC400
Pole Position

My SC's handling is great!! after adding New TT AGX's/ New TT eibachs/ New Yokohama tires/ Strut bar. Hope to turn it up a notch w/ daizen sways, TT LCA's and new bushing's every where else.
Old 04-23-06, 12:49 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It handles great while retaining a luxurious feel:

So far:

Suspension:
- Toyota Supra TT Tein SS Coilover
- Toyota Supra TT Front Lower Control Arms
- Daizen Steering Rack Bushings

Stoppers:
- Toyota Supra TT 4 Piston Calipers
- iRotors Drilled Slotted Rotors

Rollers:
- 19" Work Rezaxx II Widths: 8.5" & 9.5"
- Dunlop Direzza DZ101 245/35/19 & 275/30/19

Feels really really good.
Old 04-23-06, 09:20 AM
jibbby

Tein Coilovers atre the best!!!! Eibachs may allow your car to handle slightly better but the suspension clearance is limited and you get steering wheel drift with the EIbachs and 1"drop... I cannot wait to get the Tein Flex Coilovers installed for my SC400.... They have adjustable ride height and dampening and in cabin control box.....Those teins new are also bank$$$$$$......
Old 05-02-06, 01:31 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was very happy about the cruising comfort of stock SC's suspension but I had some gripes on how it handled in extreme situations.

Here is a list of items that I had gripes about and how I corrected them.

Gripe........Excessive body roll on corners.
Solution...Daizen sway bars and sway bar bushings.
This resolved most of my gripes about the body roll on the corners. I still did have some wobble when braking with the sway bars

Gripe...........wobble when braking.
Solution....Tein HA coilovers.
This resolved most of the issues with the car wobbling under hard braking. It seemed to want to always lean towards left or right corner under hard braking.

Gripe...........leaning towards one corner or another under hard braking.
Solution......Daizen poly control arm bushings front/rear/uppor/lower.
This straightened out the leaning problem. seemed like it was worn control arm bushings. But Now the car was not braking nearly as well as I hoped for.

Gripe..........lack of braking power.
solution......supra tt brakes with SS braided lines + new rotors.
This seemed to solve most of my braking gripes. The car does brake with more urgency. But now with all these upgrades I had complaints with what appeared to be too much motion/weight transfer from the rear to the front with the harder braking.

Gripe........ rear to forward weight/motion transfer during hard braking.
Solution.... do-luck frame brace.
This helped a lot with the motion transfer, under hard braking, the car didn't lurch but it broke straight and true and I stopped feeling like I was going to flip over the steering wheel. I'm sure this was more mental than actual science but a passenger commented on how he didn't feel like he was going to go over the dashboard butt first. (think rotational motion like going over the handlebars on a bicycle)

Gripe...... not enough gripping on all corners.
Solution... 265F and 285R tires and 18" wheels (now on 19 mostly for looks)
Car felt much firmer on with the lower profile/wider tires with bigger wheels. This provided plenty of gripping power. But now that everything else was nice and stiff and broke in controlled and cornered well I was concerned with the massive free play of the steering.

Gripe........soft steering.
solution.... I swapped out to Celica GTS 3spoke wheel which is a bit smaller and I replaced the steering rack bushings. When replacing the bushings we noticed there was actually no rubber left where the bushing was suppoed to be... well trace amounts of rubber.
The steering still has free play, but noticeably less than before. I also liked the thicker steering wheel and the thumb bolster of the new wheel.

After all that I'm pretty happy with the handling. When I set the Tein HA dampener to lowest of the recommended settings it's not uncomfortable on the street.

Lastly I put on a front STB just for the heck of it. Just to complete the rectangle of the front suspension.
Old 05-09-06, 08:45 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Those of you who think the SC handles well, never experienced or drove in a great handling car.
Old 05-09-06, 10:00 PM
reamemiya
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Idrewfelix
Those of you who think the SC handles well, never experienced or drove in a great handling car.
agreed, but with suspension mods such as Coilovers and sway bars the car holds its ground as well as any car that weights 4000lbs+.
Old 05-15-06, 04:52 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

The SC can handle and behave well with the right setup...but it will never escape it's hefty weight. Like others have said, doing everything to refresh the 10+ year old chassis and suspension will help.

Adjusting your tire pressures, getting a proper alignment, and properly setting the height and weight distribution (if you have adjustable height suspension) will go along way in improving the feel.

It's not really one of those cars where you can say "...but I'll take him in the twisties."

My car is very confident in the turns, but it's nowhere near the way my FD or FC felt (2600 lb car vs 3600 lb car). It will never be on the same level as those cars, but it can be respectable in it's own right. Knowing the car's limitations will leave you much happier with your car.
Old 05-16-06, 10:24 AM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Memphisacc
Do you get a kick out of posting the same assumption over and over with in a single thread ? An opinion is a person's ideas and thoughts towards something. It is an assessment, judgment or evaluation of something. An opinion is not a fact, because opinions are not falsifiable. No need to continuely interject with an assonine staetment because you have nothing more of value to say. Simpley say how your car rides and what work youve done i think we can figure out whos opinion is worth taking....

Someone needs to praise you for your experiences in life dont they, so you can stop putting your nose up at folks ?
Whoa whoa, sorry If I hurt your feelings. Its same the same mentality as people who think their civics are fast. The SC is a luxury cruizer, not a roadrace car, it needs to be reminded a couple of times in order to put this thread back on topic so that good decent posts such as the one VSsc400 has made.

So before you start trying to be smart or be a hero for the SC community, lets start posting real facts okay?
Old 06-11-06, 11:03 AM
jibbby

I seond that, ANYONE WHO THINKS THE STOCK SC SUSPENSION HANDLES WELL IS DREAMING AND SHOULD WAKE UP, or has never drove a good handling sportscar...... I practically got sea sick from my stock suspension..Plus my rear wheels would not allign on the worn stock setup....Also fat tires help with handling and traction too....

Now I love the way my car hugs the road with the stiffer lowering springs and shocks....Just my two cents....For the other guy, dude don't appologise you are right on with you comment....

Originally Posted by Memphisacc
"Those of you who think the SC handles well, never experienced or
drove in a great handling car. "

Do you get a kick out of posting the same assumption over and over with in a single thread ? An opinion is a person's ideas and thoughts towards something. It is an assessment, judgment or evaluation of something. An opinion is not a fact, because opinions are not falsifiable. No need to continuely interject with an assonine staetment because you have nothing more of value to say. Simpley say how your car rides and what work youve done i think we can figure out whos opinion is worth taking....

Someone needs to praise you for your experiences in life dont they, so you can stop putting your nose up at folks ?

Last edited by jibbby; 06-11-06 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-15-06, 11:54 PM
toph
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Idrewfelix
I gotta agree with this one...my last car was a 240sx...with a pretty good amount of suspension modifications...handled a million times better than my sc...even stock

anyways...to answer the question my sc400 has a good bit of body roll and just floats around...feels like a boat. it also wanders around on the road at higher speeds too

but...the tt springs, agx combo...does it stiffen up the car a whole lot? I'm trying to keep it a smooth ride...but trying to make it more enjoyable to drive
Old 06-27-06, 01:01 PM
JKAG
Driver

Catching and passing Porsche 944 turbos (2, mildly to moderately prep'ed) in the twisties and then catching and passing a C5 vette on the main straight at an HPDE at Brainerd last week. Didn't even try to stay with the 996 turbo as my tires were getting greasy

On the other hand, last year (before coilovers) 2 wheels off in the Kink at Road America trying to stay with a 944 S2

Stock they are luxury cars, but they CAN be set up to handle well

Last edited by JKAG; 06-27-06 at 01:05 PM.
Old 07-11-06, 12:02 PM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

this sukks mines would not stay strait for too long too i had it alinged the first time and it was strait, then i was eating tires like crazy since ihad my 19's which is like a couple of months i changed 3 set of tires.i finally realized my control arms were out of camber so i redid that got another alingment and now its not eating them up ,but now it follows the road lines and pulls to right occasionally depending on the road.ive been trying to fix this since i got the car.think my tie rod ends are a little bit worn hopefully thats the problem
Old 07-11-06, 12:04 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Question

Originally Posted by lexusboy94
this sukks mines would not stay strait for too long too i had it alinged the first time and it was strait, then i was eating tires like crazy since ihad my 19's wich is like a couple of months i changed 3 set of from tires.i finally realized my control arms were out of camber so i redid that got another alingment and now its not eating them up ,but now it follows the road lines and pulls to right occasionally depending on the road.ive been trying to fix this since i got the car.think my tie rod ends are a little bit worn hopefully thats the problem
Can worn out bushings cause the car to pull to one side or lose alignment easily?

Quick Reply: Does your SC have crappy handling?