Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

adjustable dampening? why?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-05, 05:22 PM
Lvangundy

Default adjustable dampening? why?

I posted this at an autocross forum, but the forum seems rather small so I don't know if I'll receive a response.
-
I have Tein CS on my GS430. I know, not exactly an auto-x car but someday I hope to run for fun.

I'm wondering about adjustable dampening on struts. What is the purpose?

Tein CS is a 16 way adjustable 'coilover' with a top click type screw. I've noticed that on the softest setting, ride quality greatly changes from the stiffest setting.

The strut at it's softest setting imitates a worn out shock that can't produce enough ground force to maintain traction. Basically at the softest setting, the tires will easily chirp and lose traction in sharp corners. However, dips and cracks in the road become much less noticeable, but at the cost of good traction.

The middle setting seems to be the best ground for driveability, closest to stock I suppose. So why make a stiff and soft extreme setting?

At maximum stiffness, the ride is very quick to respond to any ground surface changes and can be VERY bouncy when there is a passenger load.

When is the softest setting appropriate? drifting? when is the stiffest setting appropriate?
Old 11-30-05, 05:57 PM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most people will use the middle settings, which is the optimal settings for most people.
Then ... for this setting ... there will be a -/+ 30% adjustability... for the Tein ... the softest setting is not acceptable to most people.
Old 11-30-05, 06:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

to me i will never put it in softest settings, like you said it's very bouncy like the shock is gone or so. even with my parents in the car (they want soft), i just put it like 4 or 5 clicks away from softest.

stiffest settings is when you want to race and track the car. bottom line is you don't want the car to roll, the less it rolls the better it is (in general, of course)