Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Air Ride Suspension: Need Advice

Old 11-01-05, 09:33 PM
XBS1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Ride Suspension: Need Advice

Hello all, i have a 02 GS300 and have been wanting to add an airide system. Airrunner and Canover seem to be the best for vip style cars but a little to expensive. I am a DIYer so me and my friend would install this ourselves. So far i am looking at these for the air struts:
http://www.easystreetair.com/index.a...S&Category=208

they look very similiar to Airunner and should ride very smoothly , they also have a 9 way dampner adjust meant for the shock. the rest of the system i will peice together. i am probally going to run an engine driven compressor for plenty of air and no noise, dont know where to mount the tank yet.

Basically im posting this to hear peoples expeicances and opinions have done many searches just looking for more specfic info. thanks!

-George
Old 11-02-05, 07:24 AM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the only companies that make air struts for the GS are Airrunners, Canovers, and Chassis Tech. You can put air cylinders (cans) but they just ride poorly and dont last that long.
Old 11-02-05, 09:17 AM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

I'm very familiar with East Street products, I'm actually running their Auto Pilot system with the Chapman struts. The only problem you are going to encounter will be the rear wheel wells, space is very limited between the strut and the actually body of the car. I have talked briefly with Jim (tech @ Easy Street) at SEMA, and we are tryin to come up with a spacer option to put on the top part of the strut so the bag will mount lower where there is more room.

I have seen these new struts in person and the quality is top notch from what I can see.
Old 11-02-05, 07:33 PM
XBS1
Driver

V8 Aristo, can you post so pics of your set up? Im curouis to see where you mounted the digital controller, and tanks etc. Do you know of anyone who has used an engine driven compressor with the 2JZ-GE motor? thanks!
Old 11-06-05, 08:39 PM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

Originally Posted by XBS1
V8 Aristo, can you post so pics of your set up? Im curouis to see where you mounted the digital controller, and tanks etc. Do you know of anyone who has used an engine driven compressor with the 2JZ-GE motor? thanks!
Here's a pic of my air management, manifold, compressor and CPU is tucked away with the spare.

I modified the ashtray to hide my digital controller.

Here's a pic of the rear strut, I still have to pull it out so I can grind the welds and paint it.

Pic of the front.
Old 11-07-05, 07:10 AM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Setup looks very clean. What did you use for the lower brackets?
Old 11-07-05, 08:52 AM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

Originally Posted by rgarjr
Setup looks very clean. What did you use for the lower brackets?
I went to my local junk yard to find a similar factory strut lower bracket to chop off and weld to the new strut.
Old 11-07-05, 04:41 PM
XBS1
Driver

Do you know of anyone who has mounted and engine driven compressor on the inline 6 motor? im planning on attemping this, just waiting on exact dimensions of compressor
Old 11-07-05, 05:52 PM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

Do you know of anyone who has mounted and engine driven compressor on the inline 6 motor? im planning on attemping this, just waiting on exact dimensions of compressor
Sorry bro, I got a GS4. I just knew that it would be hard stuffing it in my engine bay, so I never attempted it.
Old 11-07-05, 06:37 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

I wouldn't recomend the engine driven compressor because it puts alot of strain(drag) on the motor..I know guys who installed these on some bagged chevys and they didn't like how it dragged the motor down when it was on..I can only imagine how it would be on an inline 6.. Just get the VIAir compressor 100% duty cycle compressors..They fill a 6 gallon air tank in just under 3 minutes and they are really quiet...I had mine mounted in the trunk and I could barely hear it..
Old 11-08-05, 02:19 PM
XBS1
Driver

So you guys think one compressor will do the job? What is a good model VIAir that is quiet but still flows good CFM, thanks
Old 11-08-05, 07:42 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

The popular ones are the Viair 380 or the new air compressor that came out Air Zenith.
Old 11-10-05, 01:02 PM
XBS1
Driver

There are some new compressors out by Air-Zenith that seems to be really good, one of these out does 2 Viars 450s and its is 100% duty cycle at 200psi, and they are only $280 shipped, so one of these should be fine for what i want to do, thanks!
Old 11-11-05, 08:41 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by V8_Aristo
Sorry bro, I got a GS4. I just knew that it would be hard stuffing it in my engine bay, so I never attempted it.
any pics of how low it can go ??
Old 11-11-05, 09:04 PM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

Originally Posted by lexusondubs
any pics of how low it can go ??
Here's one that someone else took, I haven't really had a chance to take pics yet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air Ride Suspension: Need Advice