Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Opinions on a few diff. coilovers.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-05, 04:27 PM
mkiiisupra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opinions on a few diff. coilovers.

Looked through the 4 pages of the Suspension and Brakes section for info on diff. coilovers. I'm looking into the HKS hipermax, Tein CS, and JIC FLT-A2 GS.

I see alot of people are saying Tein CS, mainly because it just caught on and that's pretty much all anyone seems to have experience with, but there are a few with the HKS coilovers, and haven't come across anyone with the JIC c/o's.

Just looking for any feed back (and/or pictures), mainly on the HKS's and JIC's since I've had a hard time finding any opinions on these, but feedback on the Tein CS's will be appreciated too. Thanks.

BTW...The car is a 1994 GS 300

Last edited by mkiiisupra; 10-13-05 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-13-05, 05:07 PM
chanmannyhc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This really depends on how you want your car to "feel" when you drive it. I have JIC flt-a2 on my car but it's a 99 Gs. They are great, kinda stiff though. I went with those because the majority went with Teins and I wanted to try something different more racebred. I tell you I couldnt be more happier with the way it handles. hope this helps you

btw JIC makes softer models I forget the name but you can check on their website and you can purchase softer/stiffer springs if you are not satisfied.

Last edited by chanmannyhc; 10-13-05 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-13-05, 06:02 PM
mkiiisupra
Lexus Test Driver

Right now, comfort isn't really an issue. I just want to hear general feedback and compare then factor in my priorities afterwards. Eventually I'll carry out plans of a 2jz-gte, so I think this car is going to be more on the sportier side with luxurious styling.

Again, ANY feedback appreciated.

Last edited by mkiiisupra; 10-14-05 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-13-05, 09:40 PM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mkiiisupra
Right now, comfort isn't really an issue right now. I just want to hear general feedback and compare then factor in my priorities afterwards. Eventually I'll carry out plans of a 2jz-gte, so I think this car is going to be more on the sportier side with luxurious styling.

Again, ANY feedback appreciated.
Since comfort is not your main concers I would advice you not to get the TEIN CS and get the TEIN SS. Dont get me wrong, but I would like to have a lil stiffer suspension. The CS is more responsive than OEM, but rides like OEM.. I sure enjoyed my TEIN SS on my old Acura TL. Wished I went with the same on my GS. I might contact TEIN and see if I can get a set of stiffer springs later on.
Old 10-14-05, 06:24 AM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

does hks make coilovers for a 1st gen GS?
Old 10-14-05, 10:00 AM
mkiiisupra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by corkycal
does hks make coilovers for a 1st gen GS?
Haven't done any looking around in a while, but a while back I thought I came across a website selling HKS Hipermax II (or something like that) coilover for the 1st gen...but I also came across a website selling NGK "blues" for a 2jz-ge, then contacted NGK themselves and a rep said they've never made them for the 2jz-ge. Go figure.
Old 10-14-05, 10:06 AM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

according to HKS' website, they don't make any hipermax coilovers for first gen GS.
I can tell you that the Hipermax LS+ is very similar to the Tein CS, just more adjustments on the HKS. I think there is 30 adjustments and good quality coilovers.
Old 10-14-05, 10:31 AM
BC-GS430
Lexus Test Driver

I have the HKS Hipermax LS+ and so far so good. It has more adjustability than the Tein CS. At 10 clicks from the softest its a bit stiffer than the CS at its stiffest setting but still rides nice. It doesn't have the EDFC option but overall its fairly easy to adust as it has ***** which you can leave on for the rears that is if you cut a small hole in the carpet to pass the **** thru you can adjust them at will. Overall I'm happy with them, I was looking mainly to get rid of the "float" and lower it a bit while keeping close to the factory ride. This setup has done just that albiet with much better handling.
Old 10-14-05, 11:42 AM
chanmannyhc
Driver

If comfort isnt a priority then definitely go with JIC flt-a2 or Tein RA both offer a height adjustable without changing suspension travel. those two are pretty serious. on the JIC at stiffest setup when going over expansion joints it feels like the car is going to snap in half. I think someone else inthe club has Endless Zeals but I'm not sure if they make them for 1st gen.
Old 10-16-05, 02:08 PM
mkiiisupra
Lexus Test Driver

Was just on Tein's site, and there application charts dont seem to list the 93-97 GS 300 under the CS, Flex, or RA. Only Coilover I've found in the past 20 min between HKS, Tein, and JIC that will even fit my car are the JIC FLTA2 and FLTA2-RS
Old 10-16-05, 02:52 PM
Tramix
Lead Lap

yea it's not on the site. you have to special order the Tien CS. It's going to take awhile too I want a set of coilovers for my 1st gen but I have to wait soo long if I want the Tien.
Old 10-16-05, 05:42 PM
mkiiisupra
Lexus Test Driver

Got an approx. wait period? On L-tuned They list 2 JIC c/o's and the Tein CS. Any other sources where I can order from? Anyone heard of / had experience with www.Luxurymods.com? They list a few on their site, but for some reason, it just comes off as a shady site.
Old 10-16-05, 07:37 PM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have tein CS...prolly the most important mod I've done to the GS...suspension is soo crucial and should always be one of the first things to address