Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

getting coilovers installed and need advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-05, 05:56 PM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default getting coilovers installed and need advice

Im getting my Bilstein PSS coilovers installed on Friday, and was wondering what I should ask the folks doing the install (Exact Motorsports) to check out while the wheels are coming off. I have about 97k miles, and last changed the brakes at 55k miles. Anything else in terms of stock parts that need changing around this time (ball joints, etc)? Thanks in advance for your advise
Old 09-21-05, 06:40 PM
49GS400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would probably have them run a 75K or 90K maintenence check.
Old 09-21-05, 10:23 PM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

I actually had the 90k service done not too long ago, but they (not a lexus dealer) didnt say anything about the brakes, ball joints, etc. The shop owner is a certified lexus mechanic, but how good the rest of his employee are is unknown, so Im doubting the service done was that extensive.
Old 09-23-05, 06:29 AM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

have them check all the front end bushings as well as the ball joint and outter tie rod. at 97k, i would think they are at a point where they are wearing out. if not, they are near the end of their life. adding coilovers will put more pressure on your front end and will add to the wear and tear.

some members go to the extent of rebuilding their front end with new bushings, but this can add up with parts and labor.

good luck.. you'll love how the pss will handle, a bit on the stiff side if you like that.
Old 09-23-05, 09:09 AM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by corkycal
have them check all the front end bushings as well as the ball joint and outter tie rod. at 97k, i would think they are at a point where they are wearing out. if not, they are near the end of their life. adding coilovers will put more pressure on your front end and will add to the wear and tear.

some members go to the extent of rebuilding their front end with new bushings, but this can add up with parts and labor.

good luck.. you'll love how the pss will handle, a bit on the stiff side if you like that.
thanks corkycal....I'll be sure to give them a call this morning as the car is there being worked on. I cant wait to see how the car will ride with the new suspension,....or how it will look lowered. Thanks again.....
Old 01-03-06, 11:22 AM
shiwen
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How did the coil-overs turn out?

Hey Mark,

Just wanted to get an update on how exact did on the coil-overs and if they found problems with the bushings. I'd love to chat about where you got them, how much, etc if you have the time. I'm down in Danville.

Thanks again,
Shiloh
Old 01-03-06, 02:32 PM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by shiwen
Hey Mark,

Just wanted to get an update on how exact did on the coil-overs and if they found problems with the bushings. I'd love to chat about where you got them, how much, etc if you have the time. I'm down in Danville.

Thanks again,
Shiloh
Hey Shiloh, Exact did an excellent job on the install. Their service is outstanding, and prices for us Clublexus members is very fair in my opinion (compared to other places that worked on my car prior). At the time, the didnt find any problems with my bushings, though I plan on trying to change the ball joints soon (only because of the threads Ive read about the ball joints breaking on other high mileage GS).

As for the Bilstein PSS coilovers, I bought them from Shox.com for somewhere around $850 I believe. I love the ride, and based my purchase of the reviews from other members on the forum.

Anyway, hope that info helps. PM me if you have other questions, and I'll try to help if I can. But if you're looking for a place to do your install or any other work on your car, Exact gets my vote.