Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

My drivers side was over 1" lower than the passenger side (SOLUTION)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-05, 10:41 PM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default My drivers side was over 1" lower than the passenger side (SOLUTION)

Recently, I noticed that my driver's side was over 1" lower than the passenger side. Not only did the driver's side appear lower, but it looked like the passenger side was actually raised up a little bit. My theories for this finding included the possibility of blown shocks. I also started to worry that something may have been wrong with my springs. I spoke to Todd at TM Engineering and he was not 100% sure, but he mentioned that he saw something similar involving the sway bar endlink in the wrong position and interfering with the suspension.

So, I had time today to get down to take a look. After looking around, I noticed exactly what Todd had mentioned. This is the normal position of the endlink (blue).

**edit** Actually, the correct position is highlighted in RED. The blue position is incorrect.
Attached Thumbnails My drivers side was over 1" lower than the passenger side (SOLUTION)-sway4.jpg  

Last edited by howiedoit; 11-16-05 at 11:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Banglabhai (07-06-20)
Old 09-02-05, 10:49 PM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

So that picture shows the normal position of the endlink. The red outline is the position of the endlink as I initially found it. You can see the wear spots on the shock where the endlink was holding everything up. This caused that side to be raised up and the other side of the car appeared lower.

It's a simple fix. I jacked up my car and just swung it down and out of the way. And now my car isn't lopsided anymore. Most of the time, this won't be the issue if you notice that your car is slightly lopsided. I know there is an issue of our cars being lower on the driver's side naturally, and in those cases, there's probably not too much you can do.

So how did the endlink get in the wrong position in the first place? Now that I think about it, Pepboys may have had something to do with it. A few weeks ago, my alternator crapped out while I was on the road. Pepboys was nearby, so I pushed my car over and had them change my alternator. I didn't realize it at the time, but it was after this service that I noticed that my car was lopsided.
Attached Thumbnails My drivers side was over 1" lower than the passenger side (SOLUTION)-sway2.jpg  

Last edited by howiedoit; 09-02-05 at 10:55 PM.
Old 09-03-05, 12:35 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My endlinks are opposite of how yours are now, also are vertical, not at a 45degree angle like yours.
I would keep looking for why things are out of place.
Old 09-03-05, 01:37 PM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

so the normal position is supposed to be up (like the red line)? doesn't that get in the way and hit the shocks? moving the end links down fixed my problem though. left and right sides are more even.
Old 09-03-05, 01:57 PM
actuary
Driver

Originally Posted by howiedoit
so the normal position is supposed to be up (like the red line)? doesn't that get in the way and hit the shocks? moving the end links down fixed my problem though. left and right sides are more even.
The repair manual shows them like the red line you have in your picture.
Old 09-03-05, 02:01 PM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

damn, ok...i'll refigure this out. thanks

here's a picture of how lopsided my car was. driver's rear in the left with no gap; passenger rear in the right.
Attached Thumbnails My drivers side was over 1" lower than the passenger side (SOLUTION)-lopsided1.jpg  

Last edited by howiedoit; 09-03-05 at 03:25 PM.
Old 09-04-05, 08:35 AM
SCV8
Instructor

Could the swaybar mounting brakets be out of place/switched?

I have an inch plus of clearance between the shock and the endlink.

My rear wheel is off for some work, and it's very easy to look at everything under there.
Old 09-04-05, 11:25 AM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

i think you guys are right. it's just that my driver's side end link was in the down position, and the passenger side was up. that's what caused problems. both probably should be in the up position.
Old 09-04-05, 11:29 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup, for both front and rear, the sway bar links should be pointed up (red), not down (blue).
Old 09-05-05, 04:04 PM
Vitamin-SC
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default great investigation

glad you tound a solution I noticed too many car with this issue . My problem had to occur when the car was lifted to install rims & brakes
Great work howiedoit
greg
Old 09-05-05, 07:54 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you figured it out Howard, relatively inexpensive fix huh??

It was kinda odd lookin in person....
When are the So Cal SC guys gettin together?
Old 09-11-05, 07:59 PM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SC400Dude
Glad you figured it out Howard, relatively inexpensive fix huh??

It was kinda odd lookin in person....
When are the So Cal SC guys gettin together?
yup, it was a cheap fix. i'm down for a meet anytime except i'm in san antonio right now

This is how the end-links are supposed to look. Todd from TM engineering also flipped the end links around to give more clearance.
Attached Thumbnails My drivers side was over 1" lower than the passenger side (SOLUTION)-img_0622-small-.jpg  
Old 09-11-05, 08:00 PM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

here's another view. problem-free now!
Attached Thumbnails My drivers side was over 1" lower than the passenger side (SOLUTION)-img_0623-small-.jpg  
Old 09-12-05, 03:23 AM
blaznsc4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

now i know why my rear is so lopsided. i just checked my car and both sides are down. well i guess i'll find out if its still lopsided when i flip them up.
Old 09-12-05, 03:30 PM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

when i put both end-links down, my car became even. keep checking to see if something else is wrong. if your car is about 1/2" lower on the driver's side, it may just be normal.

Quick Reply: My drivers side was over 1" lower than the passenger side (SOLUTION)