Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

I need suggestions for suspension upgrade and spacers.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-05, 01:10 PM
fhumphrey04
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need suggestions for suspension upgrade and spacers.

Ok well I am thinking about upgrading the suspension of my 98 GS400 and I am not a suspension savvy person so I need help from you pro's on what to get.

Here is what I am looking for.

1) A lower more aggresive stance but not so low that it looks like its been dropped with aftermarket parts.
2) Less body roll. - I hate taking the thing around turns, it feels like a car that could be flipped easily and I like when cars kind of cut into the turns instead of leaning.
3) A near stock ride minus the floaty feeling on highways.
4) Maybe a little bit better steering response (I dont know if thats acheivable via springs/shocks )
5) The total cost of parts to be under $500
6) A correct spring/shock combo, I have been reading through some stuff and I guess its not a very easy thing to do.
(What I am trying to achieve is something comparable to a sport package on a bmw)

So that is what I am looking for and I have researched a little and it seems like the l-tuned setup would be right but I cant find the shocks on carson toyota/lexus's website....so I dont know if that means they are discontinued or if they come with the springs...but at only $200 a set I dont see that happening.

I am riding on the stock 17's and thats how the car will stay so I dont see a need for a coilover setup and they are way out of my price range.

Oh and also about the spacers...what size would you recommend for me? I think its either a 20mm or 25mm spacer that I would want for the rear so any suggestions regarding that would also be a great help. And do I need spacers for the front too? It seemed like they were not really inset much compared to the back but I dont know.

Im so excited to drop it!
Old 08-21-05, 01:54 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a section for suspension so I am sure it will be moved there.

L-Tuned does give a drop - but I don't know of any that won't. It is as close to stock as you will find though.

You should look at an L-Tuned Steering ECU for steering.

Get yourself a sway bar.

Jonny
Old 08-21-05, 02:09 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Originally Posted by fhumphrey04
Ok well I am thinking about upgrading the suspension of my 98 GS400 and I am not a suspension savvy person so I need help from you pro's on what to get.

1) A lower more aggresive stance but not so low that it looks like its been dropped with aftermarket parts.
2) Less body roll. - I hate taking the thing around turns, it feels like a car that could be flipped easily and I like when cars kind of cut into the turns instead of leaning.
4) Maybe a little bit better steering response (I dont know if thats acheivable via springs/shocks )
6) A correct spring/shock combo, I have been reading through some stuff and I guess its not a very easy thing to do.
(What I am trying to achieve is something comparable to a sport package on a bmw)

So that is what I am looking for and I have researched a little and it seems like the l-tuned setup would be right but I cant find the shocks on carson toyota/lexus's website....so I dont know if that means they are discontinued or if they come with the springs...but at only $200 a set I dont see that happening.

I am riding on the stock 17's and thats how the car will stay so I dont see a need for a coilover setup and they are way out of my price range.

Oh and also about the spacers...what size would you recommend for me? I think its either a 20mm or 25mm spacer that I would want for the rear so any suggestions regarding that would also be a great help. And do I need spacers for the front too? It seemed like they were not really inset much compared to the back but I dont know.

With stock rims, go with the 25mm spacers by h&r.
Old 08-21-05, 07:21 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

It really sounds like you're looking for L-Tuned. It's super: still feels like a Lexus at slower speeds but feels much more solid over 85 and in corners.

Lots of nice threads to read in the suspension section. You can even see pictures of my install.
Old 08-21-05, 11:44 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by fhumphrey04

See this litem in the vendors classifieds here on CL:
• L-Tuned Shocks - $179 – promotional code S481 More Info Purchase Now
(limited quantity – while supplies last)

• L-Tuned Springs - $162 – promotional code S481 More Info Purchase Now
This will drop you about an inch will nice improvement in ride feel (eliminate the float at highway speed) also seems to make car feel quicker on acceleration and steering response.

To really improve the cornering get a set of sway bars, plenty of threads on here about that , just do a search. I like the Daizen's , others prefer the TRD's. They will cost you another $500 or so in addition to the shocks/springs. The strut tower bars and lower chassis braces are a nice additon but begin to approach the infamous point of deminishing returns. More money for a smaller though still appreciable return on your investment. If your budget is limited, save those for a later time. Same for the steering ECU. You will certainly feel more improvement with the above mentioned suspension mods and a set of really good tires , like the Michelin PS2's.
I am not a big fan of spacers though. They change the geometry of the suspension increasing the load on all the components. Certainly will cause greater wear and the possibility of premature failure of control arm bushings and tie rod ends.

Last edited by DetMich1; 08-21-05 at 11:48 PM.