Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Ball joints and tie rods replaced - WOW

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-05, 10:05 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ball joints and tie rods replaced - WOW

My GS has now become my daily driver. I never thought the GS would become the beater car but it is currently my oldest and most fuel efficient car!

It became evident that I needed to give a little TLC to the GS. Just passed 75k miles on it. The steering was feeling a bit off. It felt like I was losing a bit of control at low and high speeds. With all my suspension mods I felt there was something else wrong. Had my local Lexus dealer check the play in the ball joints. He said its normal and not bad. Well, that was not a good enough answer for me...so I ordered the ball joints and tie rods. Had it replaced by another mechanic and ....WOW what a difference in the steering. Much more solid and tight.
The difference is night and day and the steering just came alive.
When you replace tie rods you will need to get a 4 wheel alignment.

I was so happy with the results, that I even decided to clean my SRT intake filter and throttle body(TB). The filter was incredibly dirty and the TB well that was just black with soot. I must of went through a whole role of bounty towels cleaning out the TB...it was that dirty.

That was a mini maintenance on the car that did wonders to the overall feeling. Next up will be water pump and timing belt.

Last edited by DrewGS4; 07-11-05 at 12:49 PM.
Old 07-11-05, 10:15 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice Job Drew. Sometimes "normal and not bad" is not the most optimal condition.

Sounds like a good thing to do for older GS.
Old 07-11-05, 11:53 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DrewGS4
My GS has now become my daily driver. I never thought the GS would become the beater car but it is currently my oldest and most fuel efficient car!

It became evident that I needed to give a little TLC to the GS. Just passed 75k miles on it. The steering was feeling a bit off. It felt like I was losing a bit of control at low and high speeds. With all my suspension mods I felt there was something else wrong. Had my local Lexus dealer check the play in the ball joints. He said its normal and not bad. Well, that was not a good enough answer for me...so I ordered the ball joints and tie rods. Had it replaced by another mechanic and ....WOW what a difference in the steering. Much more solid and tight.

I was so happy with the results, that I even decided to clean my SRT intake filter and carb. The filter was incredibly dirty and the carb well that was just black with soot. I must of went through a whole role of bounty towels cleaning out the carb...it was that dirty.

That was a mini maintenance on the car that did wonders to the overall feeling. Next up will be water pump and timing belt.
hey drew dont you remember my post back a couple of months ago stating the same thing however you will soon notice a understeer problem will occur thst now the lower control arm bushings now doing more work and flexing more out of their designed range movement .. they tend to start rapidly wearing after about 50k and even quicker with our lower susp and braces. you wont feel it right now but give it a couple of months and you start to feel your car wander abit more .. this is also caused by your tie rods being loose and ball joints with play will help to mask it , now steering is tight the control arm bushing now has to absorb more punishment

i got tired on waiting for the daizen bushing so i am picking up a new set of arms this week and will install myself next week with my new toyo t1r tires and get a freash alignment

i am too tired to do it this week for i just finsihed putting in my new two tone int (will post pics soon)
Old 07-11-05, 12:14 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks guys... a definite thing to do for GS with over 70k miles.

Lexforlife, I do not remember your reading your previous post on this topic. I don't mind replacing the balljoints and tie rods every 50k miles. The cost of the parts are very reasonable. The cost of the control arm on the other hand is much more ~$300/each. I am still running with orginal control arms. I really wanted to get the Daizen control arms but not sure when these will be available.

So are you saying that I need to replace the control arm as well to solve the understeering problem? I have not felt this yet but am I to feel it in another 50k miles or sooner. What do you suggest I need to replace..my control arm along with my ball joints and tie rods?
Old 07-11-05, 12:23 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I really wanted to get the Daizen control arms but not sure when these will be available.
Just a minor correction in case this is what you are actually waiting for. Daizen is planning only to have the bushings and not a whole replacement arm.
Old 07-11-05, 12:28 PM
LMSguy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And another little correction.We dont have a "carb" we have a throttle body.LOL
I know you know this, I'm just messing with you.
Old 07-11-05, 12:46 PM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I was so happy with the results, that I even decided to clean my SRT intake filter and carb. The filter was incredibly dirty and the carb well that was just black with soot. I must of went through a whole role of bounty towels cleaning out the carb...it was that dirty.

Drew: i have to agree with you. I took my car to a local lexus dealer and had them inspect my lower ball joint and they told me everything is fine and i dont have to worry about. Evidently i checked myself and i saw alot of grease comming out of my ball joint boot. So i immediately took it to another local lexus dealer and had them replaced it under my 4 year bumper to bumper warranty. My car currently has 46k miles. Trust me most of the dealers out there dont wanna pay or fix your problems cover under warranty.. Jusst keep on complaining and try a different dealer. Also if u have visual evidence of any sort of problem, take pictures of it. In my case i took pictures as proof of grease leaking out of my ball joints, in case the dealership wipe it clean and tells you that they couldnt find anything leaking.

Tommy
Old 07-11-05, 12:52 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks neo for the update. So the bushing will be available soon and time frame?

LMSguy, thanks for pointing that out. My bad as I used a carb spray to clean it and forgot that it was called the throttle body and not the carb. ... I made the correction.

As for the parts they come out to be roughly $200 bucks for 2 tie rods and 2 ball joints.
Old 07-11-05, 01:01 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

okay drew heres the deal

the control arm bushings are what wears out rather quickly usually by 50k miles

when you changed the ball joints and tie rod ends you will be now transferring the energy more into the control arm bushings

the arms will cost new approx 180 each those you would change maybe every 50-60k the tie rod ends and balljoints maybe every 60k +

i have already started to feel the understeer because of the movement within the arms/bushings
Old 07-11-05, 01:31 PM
LMSguy
Pole Position

Thanks neo for the update. So the bushing will be available soon and time frame?

LMSguy, thanks for pointing that out. My bad as I used a carb spray to clean it and forgot that it was called the throttle body and not the carb. ... I made the correction.

As for the parts they come out to be roughly $200 bucks for 2 tie rods and 2 ball joints.
Thats funny. I said to myself I bet he used carb cleaner to clean it and had "carb" on his brain.
Old 07-11-05, 02:47 PM
LasVegasGS
Lead Lap

is it safe to just clean out your TB with a Carb Cleaner? I might have to give it a try tonight.
Old 07-11-05, 02:55 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes. CRC also has "air intake cleaner", avail at Pep Boys.

Also had same ball joint experience a few months ago. Once replaced, the steering was tight, felt awesome. But now about 5-10k miles later, the steering feels like it did before. I think the ball joints wear quickly, esp. with larger rims.
Old 07-11-05, 03:10 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by engin_ear
Yes. CRC also has "air intake cleaner", avail at Pep Boys.

Also had same ball joint experience a few months ago. Once replaced, the steering was tight, felt awesome. But now about 5-10k miles later, the steering feels like it did before. I think the ball joints wear quickly, esp. with larger rims.

did you ever look into your lower control arm bushings this is what i am explaining to drew within a few thousand miles of doing mine i too exp alittle loosness /understeer and its from the lower control arm bushings now being forced to take all the pressure
Old 07-11-05, 03:19 PM
cal_alum98
Lead Lap

I've logged 100K miles on my GS4 and I don't think the ball joints on my car have been replaced yet. I called up Carson Toyota and they asked if I was looking for lower or upper ball joints. I'm guessing I need to replace the lower ball joints. Can someone confirm this?
Old 07-11-05, 03:32 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife
did you ever look into your lower control arm bushings this is what i am explaining to drew within a few thousand miles of doing mine i too exp alittle loosness /understeer and its from the lower control arm bushings now being forced to take all the pressure
Duh. Haven't looked at them. I read what you posted but it didn't register with me. Thanks.
The whole thing is pretty damn irritating if you ask me. Why doesn't Toyota/Lexus have more reliable parts in there? Do people also have these problems with BMW's and Mercedes?

Quick Reply: Ball joints and tie rods replaced - WOW