Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

lowering question for GS w/ 20'''s

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-05, 04:16 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts
Default lowering question for GS w/ 20'''s

Well, i received my Donz Columbos today and wow they are awesome... My question is should i just slap the wheels on and drive for awhile or wait to purchase the Tein CS get those installed then the wheels? i don't want to drive around like a fool... I rather wait a few weeks until i can afford the Teins than put the rims on.... I know everyone says lower it but I'm afraid it will look 4x4 if i don't....

Also, when someone installs the Teins do i need a alignment afterwards and camber reset? Or is everything set to stock specs even after the car is lowered? I just want the car to drive smooth and set up properly. Thanks

Tony
Old 06-29-05, 04:22 PM
QuikLex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just so you have an idea...here are some pics of my car before and after adding the Tein CS setup. I did not have the alignment done right afterwards and did not have any adverse tire wear. I have had it done since though and it was not that out of spec...

You will love the Tein's once you get them!!
Old 06-29-05, 04:23 PM
49GS400
Lead Lap

Its totally up to you. If you're going to have to wait months to get TEINs I say put them on now and buy some springs just for the mean time. There are a few springs being sold in the classifieds for very low prices. This should help you out for now and you can always sell the springs when you're done or ready to replace them with coilovers.
Old 06-29-05, 04:25 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Well, i received my Donz Columbos today and wow they are awesome... My question is should i just slap the wheels on and drive for awhile or wait to purchase the Tein CS get those installed then the wheels? i don't want to drive around like a fool... I rather wait a few weeks until i can afford the Teins than put the rims on.... I know everyone says lower it but I'm afraid it will look 4x4 if i don't....

Also, when someone installs the Teins do i need a alignment afterwards and camber reset? Or is everything set to stock specs even after the car is lowered? I just want the car to drive smooth and set up properly. Thanks

Tony
hey congrats toney,

its up to you , you will have a 4x4 look until you drop it but if your not planning on getting coils for a while than throw them for the meantime. all that money sitting in the garage is bad

yes when you get the colis get an alignment, actually you will probably have to go back for another after a couple weeks of driveing cuz the coild will settle.
Old 06-29-05, 05:10 PM
JacobT
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yah, my Tein CS settled about 1/4" after 3 weeks. I did not have any alignment after the installation.
Old 06-29-05, 05:18 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by bluelex
hey congrats toney,

its up to you , you will have a 4x4 look until you drop it but if your not planning on getting coils for a while than throw them for the meantime. all that money sitting in the garage is bad

yes when you get the colis get an alignment, actually you will probably have to go back for another after a couple weeks of driveing cuz the coild will settle.
should i have japtrix do the install? I 've been meaning to call them but haven't had time....

Thanks bluelex
Old 06-29-05, 05:18 PM
jskim9
Rookie

Originally Posted by JacobT
Yah, my Tein CS settled about 1/4" after 3 weeks. I did not have any alignment after the installation.
What's your take on the ride quality and performance of the CS? Compared to the other Tein family line? I'm leaning towards the teins for the EDFC, very attractive for LA streets
Old 06-29-05, 05:20 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by QuikLex
Just so you have an idea...here are some pics of my car before and after adding the Tein CS setup. I did not have the alignment done right afterwards and did not have any adverse tire wear. I have had it done since though and it was not that out of spec...

You will love the Tein's once you get them!!
Thats pretty much what the look I'm looking for... What is the drop on your car.. Its sitting perfect.. I don't want to go to low but agian thats the look i really want...
Old 06-29-05, 05:55 PM
JacobT
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jskim9
What's your take on the ride quality and performance of the CS? Compared to the other Tein family line? I'm leaning towards the teins for the EDFC, very attractive for LA streets
I switched from H&R/Blistein combo to Tein CS. I'd say CS is close to stock ride with much better handling. With so many CL members jumped on Tein CS, you should have the basic idea how good are they. Here is my drop, it measures 26.25" from ground to top of wheel well on all 4 corners.
Attached Thumbnails lowering question for GS w/ 20'''s-117-1736_img_mid.jpg  
Old 06-29-05, 08:37 PM
QuikLex
Pole Position

Thats pretty much what the look I'm looking for... What is the drop on your car.. Its sitting perfect.. I don't want to go to low but agian thats the look i really want...
Not sure of the exact drop but the front coilovers are almost all the way down and the rear has about 1.5-2" of thread showing...
Old 06-29-05, 09:06 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by QuikLex
Not sure of the exact drop but the front coilovers are almost all the way down and the rear has about 1.5-2" of thread showing...
How do you measure and know where the drop is going to be... I assume they come with some sort of directions?
Old 06-29-05, 09:15 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

How do you measure and know where the drop is going to be... I assume they come with some sort of directions?

You count the threads on the coilover shock. As I told you before in our conversations and you now see on some of these posts, most that start with springs and shocks end up going the coilover route. I have TEIN HA rides really stiff, handles really well

I'm down about 2.25 - 2.5" or so