Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

$200 a fair price for installing springs/struts??

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-05, 09:12 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default $200 a fair price for installing springs/struts??

Just curious as this is what a local shop quoted to install supra eibach pro kit w/supra struts....
fair price??
Old 05-02-05, 12:09 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I only paid $120 to have mine done.
Old 05-02-05, 02:36 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That is a little much, I strongly doubt having a car on a lift and it still taking 4 labor hours to put them on. What MTeele was charged is about right - wouldn't pay anymore than that though as it really isn't a difficult procedure.

I would shop around a little more.

Good luck,
Jonny
Old 05-02-05, 06:54 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hell I'd do it for $75
Old 05-02-05, 09:47 PM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Thx guys... I will shop around before paying 200...
I wish I could do the work myself but I would only be good for deadlifting the rear end...lol
Old 05-04-05, 05:22 PM
EUROJulian
Pole Position

That is more than fair price if it includes alignment for an independent shop in major metropolitan area.

As fas as dealerships go, it is great price even w/o alignment.

Now, FYI, we are not getting paid for actual time spend on the job, but by flat rate. It is standard practice to charge flat hour per strut.
I usualy manage to do actual job in 50% of the flat time. This doesn`t include administrative BS. Writing the car, park/delivery, parts pickup and etc. All that that cost time, time is money
Old 05-04-05, 06:14 PM
qtb33
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with EURO, I have seen the flat rate to do struts and springs on the SC and it pays pretty well. Though if you good you can cut it down alot. Which you won't see the savings of coarse.

Anyhoo, $0.02
Old 05-05-05, 01:53 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

The shop is charging a flat rate. He says that he does suspension jobs on Saturdays and this price does not include an alignment...
I am not finding much better at other local shops so I may settle..
Fortunately the guy is reputable and a good mechanic so I am not uncomfortable paying a lil' extra for quality service...

Thanks for all your help. I hope to get the work done within the next couple of weeks and will post pics of the drop...

BTW.... I also have the stock TT springs to go with the TT struts just in case the supra eibach pro kit drop is tooooo low for "Big D"..lol..and i need to raise her up a bit..
Old 05-05-05, 05:40 PM
EUROJulian
Pole Position

Originally Posted by qtb33
I agree with EURO, I have seen the flat rate to do struts and springs on the SC and it pays pretty well. Though if you good you can cut it down alot. Which you won't see the savings of coarse.

Anyhoo, $0.02

Once agein, we are being paid per job. Basicly time has nothing to do with it. If I can do particular job quicker it is only my gain as I can turn more jobs.

Flat rate doesn`t always works to tech advantage. Worst are diagnostic and warranty problems. We are getting rob on those.

Just as example. We are going thru recal on Celicas where we should instal running light resistor and harness. We should remove front bumper and left headlight for it, then mess with relay block. Toyota want to pay 1.1 hour for that. Joke. Brake job pays 2.5...
Old 05-05-05, 11:23 PM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

BTW--- u suspension guru's ...
Discussing with a mechanic he mentioned that since the TT struts and springs were already assembled that I should try them 1st... I am guestimating a 1" drop... In discussing he thought it may be prudent since i do regluarly have my "boys" in the back and that I may be satisfied with this level of drop...
IF its too high... 2nd then change to the eibachs and tt struts..

I know it sounds like a waste of money but i can see some logic in this...
Whats your thoughts?
Old 05-06-05, 09:21 AM
bmatsu
Driver

I always believe in being a bit conservative, you will get almost a 1" drop from the supra struts and springs themselves, and close to a 2'" drop with the supra eibach and struts.

Hopefully your buddies are skinny and do not weigh much.

Besides ask the mechanic the cost to put on the eibachs, if his idea with the supra struts and springs ends up being to high.

Good luck
Old 05-06-05, 10:26 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Actually .... they are my 3 sons...lol
My oldest is dunking already...5'10"....160#
lol
Old 05-06-05, 11:06 PM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

when i first read this post i was thinking it was too much... But actually if its a good shop that is doing it right and knows what theyre doing. And includes alignment. Its not bad at all.
I was quoted 100-150 across the board by no less than 6 craigslist mechanics, and if youre familiar with those type of mechanics you know youre gambling with the quality in exchange for low cost. Also i had a boy 16 tops at Firestone quote me 6 hours labor for front and 3 1/2 rear totallling 575 , needless to say they didnt do mine , but the kicker was they wouldnt do it for me with my own parts .company policy he said was no outside parts installed
Old 05-08-05, 02:41 PM
EUROJulian
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CantSeeMe
... but the kicker was they wouldnt do it for me with my own parts .company policy he said was no outside parts installed

That is very common in reputable or chain shops providing extensive warranties for jobs performed. Can you imagine dispute whos foult it is, manufacturer or instaler later when something go wrong.
As a customer you should not get thru this and be bounced between both parties. Real life expirience teacheas us that at the end shop get blamed in situation like that, customer is dissatisfied and lost to the competition. Better be clear up front.
Old 05-08-05, 04:15 PM
SCV8
Instructor

In the auto industry they have what is called the "design height", that is the level of the vehicle with one less than the maximum # of occupants. It sounds like you may be doing some regular cruising at this height, not sure if the lowered springs would allow the car to drive without hitting the bumpstops.
I would give the oem stuff a fair try, after all the Supra, stock, could pull 1 G on the skidpad, ought to be good enough for getting to practice on time, huh?
Also the car will still fit, barely, over a curb with the oem stuff.
Might want to consider a TT rear swaybar, if you haven't already that is.

Quick Reply: $200 a fair price for installing springs/struts??